Thread: Moon magic

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey

Moon magic

Most Dianics and some Goddess worshipers tend to favor working with the moon. I find it important but I also work with the sun.

How important is the moon in your path? Why do you think the moon is considered more important that the sun? Do you agree with this?
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

I'm not a Dianic, but maybe some prefer to work with the moon because they traditionally see it as being a symbol of The Goddess or any goddess for that matter (no matter what the mythology says).

Also, isn't the moon seen as being "feminine" as it regulates women's menstrual cycles or something?.

Although for myself, I don't really believe the moon is just a symbol of The Goddess as there are many male deities who are also moon deities (for example, in the Sumerian pantheon, Nanna Suen or Sin as he was renamed later is a moon god (he also is either Allah or gave the inspiration for the Islamic Allah)).

You also have the Japanese sun goddess (can't remember her name at the moment, it begins with an A).

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    I'm not a Dianic, but maybe some prefer to work with the moon because they traditionally see it as being a symbol of The Goddess or any goddess for that matter (no matter what the mythology says).

Also, isn't the moon seen as being "feminine" as it regulates women's menstrual cycles or something?.

Although for myself, I don't really believe the moon is just a symbol of The Goddess as there are many male deities who are also moon deities (for example, in the Sumerian pantheon, Nanna Suen or Sin as he was renamed later is a moon god (he also is either Allah or gave the inspiration for the Islamic Allah)).

You also have the Japanese sun goddess (can't remember her name at the moment, it begins with an A).
    Her name was Amaterasu. I agree with you that some do think that the moon is a symbol of the Goddess and that it can regulate menstruation for some women.

Thank you for answering the questions!
    Last edited by Philosophia; July 18th, 2007 at 09:29 AM.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

I don't think that the moon is more important than the sun . . . It all depends on the context. If however you believe, like many esotericists do, that it is the moon that transduces or conducts the influences of the other planets so that they can become manifest in reality, then it makes sense that the moon will be at the center of any magical work or any work that seeks to transmute the influences of the heavens from potentialities to actualities.

Even to work with the sun, in order for the effects to be made manifest, the moon must be involved. It's kind of like the gateway from the world of potentials to the world of the Actual.

This is well depicted in the Sepher Sephiroth.

The Sun and the Moon are both manifestations of the Goddess to me, so I don't favour one over the other consciously. Their energies differ - though both are sources of strength for me - I look to the Sun for firey, passionate energy and the Moon for calming or steady energy (despite Luna lore to the contrary. lol).

I think the favouring of the Moon as a Goddess source or symbol is taught from when we're young. My childrens books, fairy tales and other influences mostly depicted the Moon as Luna/Female.

I recently realised that I was to much sun-oriented, and I should celebrate moon rituals.

Any Advise for a small group Moon ritual ?

I think it's important to work with both the Sun and Moon if you are involved in any sort of nature oriented religion/path. Nature is "light" and "dark", so it would be beneficial to invite both aspects into your life in my opinion.

It really just depends on what energies you need in your life at the moment I guess. But to focus on just one indefinitely would be denying yourself the opportunity to experience all that nature has to offer.

is offline She who dances to the pulse of the Earth
    I don't think it is wrong to focus on one more then the other. There are many aspects of nature and the sun and moon are just two of them. We each may be drawn to a specific aspect that we feel is important or that we need at that time. Nothing wrong with that.

My path is definitely more lunar focused. Following the moon phases is seen as more important for us as women then following that of the sun. The reason given is more that the sun has been tied with the changing seasons and is more of a time for festivals and a gathering of the entire community where as the moon is a time for ritual. Our own sacred time to gather as women alone in ritual and magick.

The moon holds a very sacred spot for me by following the phases. But I believe all things come from the Goddess both the moon and then sun, everything inbetween and beyond.

I have become quite an early morning lover. When the sun is first rising and the world is just awakening and beautiful. The soft glow to everything and the birds and nature all stirring. I feel it is just a magickal moment.

oh and a great site for the moon is Moon Circles.com I LOVE it. It also has some very simple yet beautiful rituals. I would definitely check them out.
    http://www.mooncircles.com/moonritual.html
    Listen to my sound. I am the wind, which echos through the trees. The gentle breeze which tickles your flesh. Touch that which you walk upon. I am the green fields filled with fresh flowers. My breast the mountain peaks which reach toward the heavens. My curves the endless canyons. The waters that run through my womb, nourish the sacred river of life. I am the song within the storm. The whisper on the edge of the forest. The silence. The rush of raging waterfalls. Open your eyes my child, for I am everywhere. I have never left you and never will.

I've spent the last ... several years exploring the Sun and solar energy and I'm really grateful. I've been through some life-changing, revelatory and traumatic stuff. I've bled, bruised and burned away so many unhelpful aspects of myself. I've done things I didn't think I was capable of, physically or mentally. I feel that, over these six or so years, I've learned well the lessons of the Sun and I will never cease to honor the Sun in the form of Sol Invictus, the Ignus Divine.

I feel that I am ready now to return to the Moon and lunar essences, to re-learn what the Moon teaches from a new point in my life. I choose to honor the Moon in the form of Luna, the Fickle Lady.