Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is Your God/Goddess?

Question Who Is Your God/Goddess?

And why do they call to you? How did you find out about them?

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with the shadow on the wall.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"The solution to Iraq -- an Iraq that can govern itself, sustain itself and defend itself -- is more than a military mission. Precisely the reason why I sent more troops into Baghdad."
    ~George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 3, 2007~

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004~

I don't feel particulary drawn to just one goddess, different goddesses call me at different times I think, although some more often then others... I can't explain how I new or when I first found out about them, its like they've always been there. Another funny thing is that sometimes I don't know which goddess it is that is calling me, so often I just refer to them as mother, maiden and crone, cause in some strange way I always seem to know that much at least...

B*B
    ~ As above, so below ~

That's cool

I'm glad you say that, because I don't think I have ever had just one Goddess call to me either, as a matter of fact, I have women in history call to me more often than a goddess. I normally call her Lady or universe...
    Last edited by NebtAnhai; September 5th, 2003 at 11:19 PM.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with the shadow on the wall.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"The solution to Iraq -- an Iraq that can govern itself, sustain itself and defend itself -- is more than a military mission. Precisely the reason why I sent more troops into Baghdad."
    ~George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 3, 2007~

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004~

New Iberia, LA desperately seeking real estate in Rivendell
    Being of Celtic descent, I think of the Goddess as Danu, the All-Mother. Gods are a bit trickier. I find that no matter how much I might admire certain male figures, I simply cannot bow down to them. I'm not sure why I'm like that. I speculate it is due to my father dying when I was very young (in fact, I don't even remember him) and being raised by my mother. Submitting to a woman makes perfect sense to me. Submitting to a man, however, is an utterly alien concept to me. I tried visualizing God as an animal, for there are many that I love and admire, but that didn't work either. I ran into difficulty with that because I'm capable of destroying any animal I can think of. I wouldn't, but theoretically, I could. Makes it difficult for me to see it as my Lord. Then I fell back on a lifelong obsession of mine - dragons. From my earliest days that I can recall I've loved and admired dragons as creatures of vast power, knowledge, and wisdom, so I view my Lord as a great, regal dragon.
    "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
    with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

Brigid usually, i sometimes approach her alone, tho she sometimes comes with the dagda or angus og, theres alot of love when that happens, fatherly or friendly love
    my friend laughed his head off when i told him my patron was a virgin0 oh well

I'm about the complete opposite of Valnorran. It seems odd to me, bowing down to a Goddess.. but I do. Airmed (Airmid) calls to me.. really Earth Mother in general, but the herb aspect more than anything else.

As for the God.. Pan.. hence my name. I think it's the joviality he shows.. the utter love for life that calls to me.. because I rarely act like that. Airmed is the strict person in my life, while Pan tells me when to have fun. :D

I've been looking into different Gods and Goddesses, but haven't found any that really speak to me as these two have.

As for not being able to bow to a Goddess.. I guess that's because I've always felt rather rebellious to my mother moreso than my dad. My father was in the navy and wasn't around much.. but I don't know why it's so much easier for me to be comfortable with the God rather than the Goddess. Even when first starting out from Christianity.. it was always easier for me to talk to the God rather than the Goddess... my mother has never really been a positive influence in my life. I'm getting over it, though. In time I'll be much better.
    "The whole idea of compassion is based on a keen awareness of the interdependence of all these living beings, which are all part of one another, and all involved in one another."

"A life is either all spiritual or not spiritual at all. No man can serve two masters. Your life is shaped by the end you live for. You are made in the image of what you desire."

Thomas Merton, Trappist Monk

Generally speaking, Brid and Lugh.
    "It is a good divine that follows his own instructions."
    Portia,
    Merchant of Venice, I.2

"If making oatmeal cookies with bugs instead of raisins is wrong, then I don't want to be right" - Bucky Katt

Also being of Celtic descent I was always heavily drawn to the Celtic gods and goddesses. Kerridwen always had a strong influence on me. She has always been a symbol of great strength for me personally.

I'm drawn to Kali. She took me in and hasn't yet let me go.
    Sora Little Green Heretic at Large.
    Pray: To ask the laws of the universe
    to be annulled on behalf of a single
    petitioner confessedly unworthy.

... You've been hit by the
    Sora Stick ...

I've always been fascinated by Bast and have often prayed to her at times when I want protection for my loved ones.
    I'm looking forward someday to finding out why I have always loved this particular Goddess since she is the only Egyptian deity that I feel so comfortable with.When I was only about 7 or 8,my mom took me to the local museum to see a special exhibit of Egyptian artifacts.I remember seeing a Bast statuette and just staring and feeling overwhelmed with love for this graceful and lovely being.... the other Gods and Goddesses at the exhibit interested me but Bast is the one I kept wandering back to....
    It's funny because I remember "talking/praying to her after I went home and drawing numerous pictures of her and so forth.
    I was raised in a strongly Judeo/Christian home and even sent to parochial schools and so forth but my fond feelings for her never waned.
    As far as a masculine deity goes,I often call on Thor when I need to face a situation with self confidence or when I must be assertive or confrontational...well, I've babbled long enough.
    Blessings and Goosebumps!!!

Teshuva

Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast