Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is Your God/Goddess?

Talking I'm a Lazy Bum

Go to askjeeves.com and type in "mythology" or "goddess" and I'm sure you'll get lots of info on goddesses..... i also love the comp reference system at my local library. I especially like mythology books for kids.They're concise and fun and usually a good,fast read.In fact,when I have a question about anything,I go searching for a child's book about it(blush)..... good luck!!!
    Blessings and Goosebumps!!!

Teshuva

I have learned so much about mythology from children's books too! I teach sixth grade social studies. A main part of the curriculum is to teach the students about the Greeks. The students really like to learn about the Greek gods. To get them more interested in the subject, I read them myths and show them pictures (appropriate ones) of the gods. They students get so interested in the subject that want to learn about gods from other lands, particularly Norse gods. I see nothing wrong about reading stories from children's books. You're right; they are informative and written in an entertaining way.

Talking Wow!!!!

Sounds like social studies class has gotten to be alot more fun than when I was a kid!!!
    What a neat idea to spice up a subject that usually could be pretty dry... MY social studies teachers never incorporated mythology,and I know my daughter( just finished sixth grade) didn't have that in her social studies either...... although I recall her bringing home work regarding Egyptian culture... which she loved and wrote little heiroglyphic notes to friends for days.
    You sound like a pretty cool teacher!!!:cool:
    Blessings and Goosebumps!!!

Teshuva

Talking

Thanxs... If any of you know a good site that would be nice too.
    -meet bob the boing

Tainted beauties have destroyed the hearts and minds of men, but the damned have only themselves to blame.

On my tombstone I want carved:
    He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

What do you do when youve forgotten how to cry, when tears are beyond you and anger cannot find you, when all you have left is pain and frustration where shall you turn?
    When life is hell, givem heck!
    \Enosiophobia or Enissophobia- Fear of having committed an unpardonable sin or of criticism
    "some people say that things just happen...well, I say they're meant to be. If not made for someone who's broken, then I fear that these things werent made for me."

- Asthmorte

http://www.myspace.com/grey86

Generally speaking Hathor...though Lilith has been at the forefront of my mind lately

Gods....Im yet to have a really strong connection with anyone in particular......probably Pan at this point in time.
    Get a taste for religion: LICK A WITCH!

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Originally posted by Grey
    Thanxs... If any of you know a good site that would be nice too.
    Grey, this site briefly discusses the main Norse gods and goddesses. I kind of liked that the author connects the gods and goddesses to astrology. For example, the Leo is associated with Thor. (I don't think that some followers of the Norse gods and goddesses would be happy with the comparisons; however, I found it interesting.) http://www.wizardrealm.com/norse/gods.html

Here is another site.
    http://www.geocities.com/fullmoonmag...ies/norse.html

I like this site, because it shows the family tree of the gods and goddesses.
    http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/lin...mily_tree.html

Merry Meet, Raynewitch. Many people here feel a connection to Hathor. You can discuss here on the Cow Goddess thread and the Goddesses of Love thread too. Are you looking for excitement at the moment that you are feeling a strong connection to Pan? :D

No matter how much research I do and what pantheons I study, I always come back to two:

Hecate

and

Athena

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Me too, Mithrea. I love to learn about the gods and goddesses from regions all around the world. However, I always come back to the Greek pantheon. I feel a deep connection with those dieties. I think you just "know" what path to choose, because it feels right.

When I first began my journey in Paganism, Lillith immediately took me in. I have been Hers ever since (like I have a choice when Lillith calls!!!). I do not work with Her too often, but I know She is there for me.

The Goddess I work with most is Hel. I have found Her to be most loving and warm despite Her reputation as a cold Crone. (Her walls are made of sleet!!). She ALWAYS shows me the truth, even when I do not want any part of hearing it! She is like the grandmother who will thwap you in the head to get Her point across, and then hold you in Her arms when comfort is needed.

I also am most fond of Aphrodite. There are many times I have worked with Her when self-esteem issues were apparent.

And last, but certainly not least, being an artist and poet, I am drawn to Brigid and Sarasvati. They are AWESOME to work with and I have found greater security and esteem in my work with them.

Interesting mix of dieties, Clover. I liked your explaination of why you work with Hel- stern, yet comforting.
    How did you get to know these dieties? I only ask since you work with dieties from various pantheons. I can see that these various dieties would give some balance to your life.

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast