Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is Your God/Goddess?

Wink

Originally posted by Grey
    yes actually the norse gods. ( Odin, Thor, Ostara, Uller etc)
    Ive always like them as far as I can remeber there existance but how does this help me?? Should I meditate on them or something??
    You should read the poetic eddas and the prose eddas if you would like to read more on the teutonic pantheon. If you would like to read them translated into English, go to www.northvegr.org/main.html Their resource areas are terrific. Go to the section titled N. European Studies and fumble around. You'll eventually come across everything you could possibly want to know. By the way, my favorite god is Tyr, and my favorite goddess is Freya.
    Last edited by Veli; October 16th, 2002 at 11:17 AM.

Veli makes good points about Loki

Perhaps I need to take a closer look at this guy. It may be that in my fluffy-bunny rush to be inclusive and non-judgemental, I haven't really seen Loki's worst traits. In my mind, I imagined that, like Kali or Shiva, though he had a destructive side, he played an important role in the balance of things. I have some reading to do...

Wink Loki

You are very right, he does create a balance of sorts. He's not an all-inclusive evil, but he's not a God in the strict sense, and he's not someone you should appeal to without much reserve. Besides, I can't think of anything he could truly aid you with. Just my .02 cents worth.

Ahh loki...

Loki is well a little off. he creates alot of problems for the gods and solves some of their worst problems. Without him odin would be spearless and thor would have no hammer but in the end he and his kindred will kill them in ragnarok so....? yah hes actually not a god but a giant he just is usually in connection with the aesur because of a blood oath with odin.

He does some freaky stuff but its always interesting. if you deal with him becareful.
    -meet bob the boing

Tainted beauties have destroyed the hearts and minds of men, but the damned have only themselves to blame.

On my tombstone I want carved:
    He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

What do you do when youve forgotten how to cry, when tears are beyond you and anger cannot find you, when all you have left is pain and frustration where shall you turn?
    When life is hell, givem heck!
    \Enosiophobia or Enissophobia- Fear of having committed an unpardonable sin or of criticism
    "some people say that things just happen...well, I say they're meant to be. If not made for someone who's broken, then I fear that these things werent made for me."

- Asthmorte

http://www.myspace.com/grey86

Smile

My main Goddesses are Morrigu, Kali, Maat, Bastet and Isis. As for the God, it's the Horned One.
    "The moral value of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated" (M. Gandhi)

I'm most definitely an eclectic, meaning I work with lotza dieties from many different religions. Recently I've been working with Athena a lot, cuz I definitely need protection with some of the people I have hating me now.. anyway, yeah, so there's my reply.

is offline To err is human... but it feels divine!
    Isis and of Samhain, Bastet.
    Insanity takes it's toll; Please have exact change.

How do you find your God or Goddess

???How do you know when you've found them or they've found you?
    will they talk to you or try to contact you in some way. i have been talked to in my dreams by a woman, could this be her?

Tala-

Wow, this discussion has been going on for a while.

Up until a couple of months ago, most pagans I knew tended to worship a generic Goddess (usually either the Triple Goddess or the Great Mother) and a generic God (usually the Horned Hunter or the Lord of the Sun, sometimes the Green Man).

Recently, I've been meeting lots of pagans who either work with a very particular pantheon, or with a small group of god/desses from different traditions that form a sort of personal pantheon. A few of the pagans I've met lately will refer to themselves as a "Child of Diana" or a "Child of Herne" for example, working almost exclusively with a particular deity, or a pair of deities (usually a goddess and a god).

I've been working with the generic God/Goddess pair for over a decade, but the truth is, I've always wanted to get to know the deities on a more personal and less abstract level--to get to know them in some of their named aspects. Everyone I've been speaking to lately tells me that its not really a matter of choosing a deity that you want to work with, but more a matter of a particular deity choosing you--and that you'll know it when it happens.

Being chosen by a particular deity is a rather heavy responsibility. Some deities have taboos, so you may have to give something up, like a favorite food. Some deities favor marriage and don't take kindly to pre-marital sex. Other deities will say to you, "you need to loosen up--go get laid" and will throw you at the next cute guy or girl that walks on by. Me, my goddess likes mint. I hate mint. I don't even like my toothpaste minty. But now I'm drinking mint tea for her. Ugh. But I do feel like I'm growing closer to her.

The point is that any god you work with is going to demand that you make sacrifices. Offerings on your altar are OK as far as they go, but ultimately the sacrifice you need to make is a part of yourself. Like Odin hanging from the tree, you need to give up something valuable in order to gain something even more precious.

Once you figure out who has called you, it's helpful to learn as much as you can about that particular god/dess, but you have to realize that we may not have accurate or fully detailed records about how that god/dess was worshipped in the past. That's OK, though, they aren't stuck in the past. They are at once timeless and yet very much here with us in the 21st century--they've changed as the world has changed (and vice-versa).

Do be careful about working with deities from an unbroken and ongoing religious tradition such as Voodoo, Hinduism, or a Native American religion. We can't honor the Greek gods in exactly the same way as the ancient Greeks, because we don't know exactly what they did back then. But Hinduism is the oldest major religion in the world and has an unbroken tradtion that is thousands of years old. If you're going to work with a Hindu deity, you should read the relevant scriptures, learn the appropriate prayers, perform the appropriate rituals, and celebrate the holidays for that deity. If you want to work with a Navajo deity, ideally you should visit a reservation, spend time with Navajo people, learn their traditions and language, and get involved in their struggles for economic and social justice. Whatever you do, don't appropriate (i.e., "steal") a god from another culture and then alter the character and personality of that god for your own purposes. Doing so is bound to have repurcussions.

I'll stop lecturing now. Sorry.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful.

--Sovaan
    "Paganism is an affirmation of interactive and polymorphic
    sacred relationship by individual or community with the tangible,
    sentient, and nonempirical." --Michael York

Wink Now that I think about it

I don't really worship any particular God or Goddess so much as embody and manifest them through myself. There's an advantage to being born with Original Divinity instead of Original Sin. But I would say Bast and Cernunnos shine the brightest in me.

Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast