Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is Your God/Goddess?

You made some really good points, Sovaan. I agree with you you when you write that one must have to sacrifice something in order to gain something very precious.

If you have read the threads in this forum, you will see that people have all different types of paths. Some people follow a particular pantheon while others honor a generic god or goddess. True, people can also put a touch of individuality to their spirituality by choosing to honor god/desses from various pantheons. Whatever feels right. I don't believe that there are set rules on selecting a goddess. For example, I believe that you can choose a deity outside of your own culture. People have done that throughout history. For example, most cultures borrowed from pantheons throughout the world and altered the gods and goddesses to fit their own needs. The most obvious culture: the Romans. The Romans heavily borrowed from the Greek pantheon.

I'm quite heavily influenced by the ancient Roman religion - I like the concept of "numen", and I can see where that fits in witht he generic God/Goddess that many pagans follow. However, I also feel a particular connection with Minerva... Since she appeared in my life a few months ago, I've quit my job and gone back to college, which I hope and believe is something that she wanted me to do, and has been pushing me towards... it would make sense, I suppose, since she is strongly connected with learning and knowledge.

I also feel some connection with other Roman deities, in particular Vesta, Pomona and Aesculapius.

Last edited by Cait; November 13th, 2002 at 11:15 AM.

Cait, I think that Minerva would approve of you going back to school, since she is the goddess of wisdom after all. Like you, I really like the Graeco Roman pantheon. Usually, I go by the Greek names though. However, there are some ideas and deities that have a good equivalent in the Greek pantheon. For example, I like the Roman goddess Flora; however, I cannot find a Greek counterpart for her.

Grieving, Accepting, Still Loving & Missing Him
    Hmmm.....it seems that I have a new patron knocking at the door of my soul. I've been listening to an old Wendy Rule tape in the car, and she has a beautiful, upbeat song to the goddess Selene. According to the lyrics, Selene gives refuge when we are betrayed by friends and people are really hard to deal with. She is the patron goddess of the friend who gave me the tape, and knowing him as well as I do, I understand why he is drawn to Her. I'm needing these qualities in my own life right now. I'll be doing more research on her.
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

Isn't it weird how new gods and goddesses sometimes knock on our doors?

Freyja, I hope that you share your findings about Selene with us. I find the goddess to be kind of complex. I know that people ask her for help when the have a problem. Supposedly, she is suppose to give some rational advice on what to do. Being a moon goddess, I don't see it fitting to call on her for rational advice. Well, hopefully, everything is going well in your life, Freyja, and you are finding strength in Selene.

Grieving, Accepting, Still Loving & Missing Him
    Looks like it's going to take a while, a search keeps bringing up the same information. But I did find the lyrics to the song:

http://www.wendyrule.com/ZeroLyricsSeline.html

I'm doing A LOT of driving. Flar lives 60 miles from me, and most of the ride is a rural road. When I listen to these lyrics, I feel so comforted, as if the Goddess is wrapping me in her arms and I'm finding refuge from stress by cuddling up in her lap. I also feel empowered, knowing in my soul that no matter what's going on, no matter how screwed up people are, She is with me and She is on my side
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

hey all,
    i haven't really been called to a particular deity yet, but i haven't really done much ritual (not that that's essential, so i've heard.) i've been researching a lot. i've always been drawn to egypt, even though my family have a welsh english heritage. i'm particularly drawn to Isis, Osiris, Thoth, Bast, occasionally Horus and Maat. if that sounds too 'typical', oh well. i've also been drawn to Sekhmet lately, i've been drawn to read up on her.

Well, that's it,

Blessed be.
    Akarhu Tesenisis

artemis. little funny, maybe, but albeit the fact i usually dont believe, all day today i keep wanting to..i dont know...

stupid connection (omit the stupid) is so strong today.
    i write until the pen drops

i will believe in you, when you believe in me..

Greetings, everyone! i'm new here, and i'm glad that my first post here will be dedicated to Her who has always been with me.
    To me, She is simply the Moon.
    ever since i can remember ( and from what my mother told me), i'd always stand against the window as a child, look at the Moon for a long long time and call Her 'Mother'. needless to say, She is still my Mother. She is the One who knows all about me, way more than i do myself.
    a few years ago, had a dream in which i was approached by this beautiful woman who, after asking me series of questions, offered to teach me. She introduced herself as Freya ( !!!!!!!). then, i still did not anything about it, but, having had some strange dreams before, i went to do a research about the Freya character. ... since then, i've pledged myself to Freya.
    but Moon remains my Mother always.
    in fact, at times they are One.
    Through loving yourself, you love the world.
    Your true love for the world will help melt the ice in the heart of humanity!

do what you MUST to become who you ARE

I am what i am. whatever that may be.

Originally posted by Moon Daughter
    since then, i've pledged myself to Freya.
    but Moon remains my Mother always.
    in fact, at times they are One.
    Hi Moon Daughter! Glad to see you posting here. Do you think that Freyja is associated with the moon? I think that she has some connection to the moon. Hhhmmm. Your post kind of reminded me of something that the member Freyja would write. She writes about Freyja and the moon goddesses, Selene and Hecate. Do you honor a particular moon goddess or just a general moon goddess?

Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 ... LastLast