Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creating your own tarot deck

Creating your own tarot deck

Hi Everyone
    Have only just joined a few days ago so still trying to find my way round!

I am the artist and creator of a tarot deck in progress, The Hezicos Tarot, and I would love to hear from any artists out there who have been doing the same thing.

My deck, so far, has taken over a year to get where I am now. Not sure if I am allowed to mention my web site but will give it a go www.hezicostarot.com.

I paint in watercolours and each painting from start to finish takes over a week, as I do very detailed work.

My tarot is - I hope - different and I would be thrilled if any of you out there would take the time to have a look and let me know what you think.

Love and light
    Blue Bubble xx

Flaire-FireStar Guest
    -moved to Tarot Deck Creation-

For myself, I rather like it so far. Your painting style is easy on the eye and I really enjoy the color palette. You've got a balance between busier cards and more simplistic looking cards (and I mean that in terms of negative space), and I don't feel like those featuring singular objects (the moon, or sun, or aces, for example) lose anything for being more spartan in terms of imagery. Your court cards are done in a way that *I* have never seen, certainly, which I find interesting.

Question: What's your elemental association to wands and coins? When I look at your wands court, I think of earth, so I'm wondering if that was intentional or if the inclusion of wood headdresses and the rod of wood was just a design thing.

Poked around your gallery, too. You really have beautiful work.
    Currently available to do Tarot Readings.

The deck is nice. I like it.

A bit of advice. You need to have beter image protections in place, or accentuate the text across the image. I was able to pull one of the images from the page quite easly by option-clicking on it, and were I sneaky and dishonest, I could edit out the text you have on the image with relative ease. Color-shift the text slightly and it would be much more difficult, but simply lightening it as you have done is relatively easy to undo if someone has the patience and determination.

And your work is good enough that it' possible someone may try. There was a big scandal a while back when someone took the in-progress images from KatBlack's web site for her Golden Tarot and published them in a calendar without permission and without acknowledging her as the artist.

Also, don't worry, I deleted the copy of the image I pulled, I simply like the challenge of working around protections as it helps me learn what I need to do if I ever decide to put images of my own on line. I like to know what's out there.

Good deck. I know, it is a difficult decision to balance promotion of an artistic project wth protection of it. Take care.

Yote

Thank you for your kind comments about my tarot, I do appreciate your feedback.
    Yes, my rods are very much the Earth element, love trees.
    Thanks once again

Quote Originally Posted by azarathine View Post
    For myself, I rather like it so far. Your painting style is easy on the eye and I really enjoy the color palette. You've got a balance between busier cards and more simplistic looking cards (and I mean that in terms of negative space), and I don't feel like those featuring singular objects (the moon, or sun, or aces, for example) lose anything for being more spartan in terms of imagery. Your court cards are done in a way that *I* have never seen, certainly, which I find interesting.

Question: What's your elemental association to wands and coins? When I look at your wands court, I think of earth, so I'm wondering if that was intentional or if the inclusion of wood headdresses and the rod of wood was just a design thing.

Poked around your gallery, too. You really have beautiful work.

Thanks

Hi Yote

I can't thank you enough for the info you have given me - I had no idea it would be that easy to download one of my images. I am contacting my web master as soon as possible.

From now on I am not putting any more pictures on my web site until the deck is complete and I have a publisher in place, better safe than sorry. I have got legal protection on all my work, at a cost.

Once again, many thanks for your advice and also your honesty!!

Love and light
    Blue bubble

is offline Owlperson's Date With Destiny :}
    Blue Bubble

Nice to see a fellow Briton posting! M and I are in awe of your artwork and really look forward to seeing it published as a complete deck. We collect different decks with different styles of artwork (we are also working on a satirical deck of our own - we both work in politics and think that it would be fun to see Tony Blair and Gordon Brown on tarot cards) and are impressed by your Court cards particularly - the emphasis on tribal dress is well-researched and we like your gravitation towards Maori (?!) imagery because this is a culture under-represented in spiritual folklore and design. (Not that M has any association with New Zealand but we are just fascinated with obscure mythologies because we both enjoy cultural exchanges and travel. M and I have links with Eastern Europe and would also like to see more tarots that focussed on Slavic or Baltic mythoi.)

A word of advice: the Majors are well done but some of the designs could be starker and bolder. There is a lot of blank space on The World and the card should focus more on intense completion and holistic absorption of disparate elements, rather than just representing the Rider-Waite religious iconography with such a wide margin at the top of the card.

We're not sure about The Lovers either - I am not convinced that the man looks masculine enough for the card's meaning of opposites attracting. I suspect people who are into gay iconography (if it was intentional to make him look more androgynous for this reason) are not going to be satisfied either by the very feminine looking woman juxtaposed with someone who also looks like very effeminate. We like the intensity of the Morgan-Greer deck and feel either that you should make the woman more "butch" or the man more masculine rather than having them both so feminine looking. M says you should take his opinions with a pinch of salt (he is 66 and very old-fashioned!) but I tend to agree with him that what The Lovers represent is the conjunction of opposite forces rather than just stereotypical beauty. There are decks that are more geared towards homosexuality, but it should be clearer through the artwork what you intend.

I LOVE your association of Strength with tigers. It gives a very personal slant to this card - my mother is a tiger totem and I have had to act like the woman in this card when dealing with her ("There was a young lady of Riga/Who went went for a ride on a tiger/They returned from the ride/With the lady inside/And a smile on the face of the tiger!" could have been written about me and my mother unfortunately).

M and I love your interpretations of The Devil and Death. Too often in modern decks the intensity of these two cards are played down in favour of more neutral designs and thus the historical meaning of evil and absolute ground zero is ignored and sidelined in favour of more "cuddly" variants. To us the importance of these cards means that we look for decks with deep and violent imagery and your deck succeeds on both counts. The colours perhaps should be made deeper and richer, but I suspect this is something that will be improved when the paintings see print and I hope you will take these criticisms in the constructive spirit in which they are intended.

I had to keep M away from some of the pictures to stop his eyes wandering but it is wonderful to see such beautiful celebrations of the human body. Judgement is a lovely card and I like your ideas for it. The simplicity yet effectiveness of many of your cards and the dynamic poses of The Fool and The Magician begin the Majors well, but perhaps some of the more intense cards like The Chariot and The Wheel of Fortune deserve starker and bolder images with not so much empty space around them.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND WE HOPE TO SEE YOU PUBLISHED VERY SOON!
    Last edited by HedwigHarfang; October 10th, 2007 at 08:47 PM.
    BROWNED OFF WITH BROKEN BRITAIN? Email me, Michael Howard MP, on brokenbritain@yahoo.co.uk

"People don't want a date with destiny, they just want a date with a dentist. So open wide, Volpone, and stop screaming!" - Dentling Nick, yesterday

"He took the bells from many clocks /And hung them from a branch
    "When he struck up with feet and hands / It made our laddies dance"

--The Ballad of Neddy Dick, by Mr Fox

"He took the balls from many clerks / And hung them from a branch
    "When he struck us with feet and hands / It made Volpone dance"

--The Ballad of Dentling Nick, by Mr Owl

"I told him that I'd seen a house /In the middle of a wood
    "And anyone that went in there / Could never come to good"
    --
    Mr Fox, by Mr Fox

"I told him that I had a house / In the middle of a wood
    "And if he ever came inside / I'd Az him right and good."
    --
    Mr Owl, by Mr Owl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really like the look of your deck. Thanks for sharing!

99% Accurate ~ Professional Tarot Readings by yours truly...
    I also do FREE readings for MW members

Proud Christian Witch & Ordained ULC minister

They are very pretty, I like them!
    Strength is my favorite.
    I love the colors and style you have used.

Click on the eggs!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello from one Tarot artist to another love your work and wish I had that much talent when it comes to water color painting :D Has your deck been published yet ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast