Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Witchcraft

Traditional Witchcraft

So I'm wanting to learn about Traditional Witchcraft. The only thing I've found so far is British Traditional Witchcraft and it looks interesting! I want to learn more about it.

I guess my questions so far are, what is it? What's it all about? How do I go about learning more about it? Are there ppl willing to teach it online (havent found anything in my area, even on WitchVox). There doesnt seem to be all that much info on the net (that I've found) or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, I dunno. I'm sure there are tons more questions that I'll have at a later time when I start learning more.

Is there anyone on here that can help me out? Are there any Trad Witches on here? Where do I start? What can I do?

Thanks
    Rayne

I childproofed my house but they keep getting in

Love natural aromatherapy grade essential oils, vegesoy wax candles? Join Us On FaceBook at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=159112160774495

I have been ghosted by Philosophia, Ambertree & Astara Seague

I don't know all that much about british traditional witchraft, but I know when it comes to the Appalachian version that it is usally handed down though the family. There are people out there willing to teach other people though. But they can be hard to find. The older forms of witchcraft are a little over shadowed by things like wicca. A good way to look up information as well is to look at the folk beliefs and celebrations of an area. Because sometimes they can help you out.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

You have to ask yourself first... what IS Traditional Witchcraft? I mean... there are witchcraft forms found all over Europe... each one slightly different from the last. What would be classed as Traditional Witchcraft... when the mere word is not describing a single cultural phenomenon but a whole host of practices from around the world.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

There are many different kinds of Traditional Witchcraft, as has been mentioned. There is little public info out there, it still is mostly a tradition that is handed down from on person to another.

here is a couple of link to help get you started though:

http://www.traditionalwitch.net/

http://www.traditionalwitchcraft.net/

http://www.shadowdrake.com/index.php

I may have more kicking around, but on my home computer. I will post more later.

Thanks for the sites! I'm already on the traditionalwitch.net and am hoping for a full membership soon but that prbly wont happen until next month (or when they get to know me better, whichever one comes first) and I've just signed up to other one traditionalwitchcraft.net membership pending... I'll check out that other site too.

Thanks
    Rayne

Love natural aromatherapy grade essential oils, vegesoy wax candles? Join Us On FaceBook at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=159112160774495

Sir, I believe Mandoon is dry humping the pagan.
    Great links, Juniper, thanks! I registered at Traditional Witchcraft - beautiful web design there. Shadow Drake looks very interesting, as well. The first link, however (traditionalwitch.net)....I don't know, for some reason it sets off something in my head that tells me not to bother.
    ~NITEFALLE~
    Pagan Tart, High Priestess of the Soli-Tarty Path

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are, it seems
    Always in search of, and one step in back of,
    Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams
    ~Willie Nelson~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The sites traditionalwitchcraft and shadowdrake seem to be the same when you click to see the forums....

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Traditional Witchcraft can also refer to Cochrane and other derived or similar traditions, so you may want to look into these key figures, Robert Cochrane/Roy Bowers (same person, just Robert Cochrane wasn't his real name), Joseph Wilson, Dave and Anne Finnin, Andrew Chumbley, Evan John Jones, and Doreen Valiente, when she was working with Robert Cochrane.

Here are some key terms: 1734 tradition, Clan of Tubal Cain, Sabbatic witchcraft, etc.

Here are some interesting links:

The Ancient Keltic Church

Clan of Tubal Cain

Tubal Cain - a poem.

Cyberwitch - good site with traditional witchcraft info.

1734 Tradition - started by Joseph Wilson, a student of Robert Cochrane's.

Crooked Path

Overview of traditions

Briar-rose

Toteg Tribe - another group founded, or co-founded, by Joseph Wilson.

Book list - some traditional witch related books (although take them with some salt).

The Roebuck Tradition - Witchvox article.

1734 Tradition Witchvox article

Robert Cochrane info

Explore Traditional Witchcraft by Peter Paddon, an amazon.com listimania

'The Robert Cochrane Letters: An Insight into Modern Traditional Witchcraft' by Robert Cochrane and Evan Jones

You may also want to look into some books by Nigel Jackson, although again take him with some salt, as apparantly he writes for the pop crowd, and his book 'Call of the Horned Piper' was apparantly dictated by Evan John Jones, and Nigel Jackson has admitted, again apparantly, that even he doesn't understand what he actually wrote, but still, they might have some value.

Also, Lolair has a class here at Mystic wicks on different paths with some very good info on Traditional Witchcraft, Sabbatic witchcraft, Folk witchcraft, Feri witchcraft, etc. Here's a link - each posts has links to more articles and books for you to find out more.

Andrew Chumbley: Artist and Scribe

Andrew Chumbley

Andrew Chumbley article

Livejournal Andrew Chumbley/Sabbatic witchcraft

Andrew Chumbley thread at Abrahadabra

Carpe Noctem

Forum on the crookedpath for Sabbatic witchcraft

Book list - some may be useful.

Another booklist

Chaos Static

Traditional Witchcraft Forums

'Magick and Witchcraft' - amazon.com listimania

Cultus Sabbati

'What is the Traditional Craft?' by Andrew Chumbley

Sabbatic witchcraft lesson by Lolair - has a lot of good info, book recommendations and articles.

'Witchcraft: A Tradition Renewed' by Doreen Valiente and Evan John Jones - very good book, I'd recommend it.

Also, if you're interested in this, you may want to get 'The White Goddess' by Robert Graves and Grevel Lindop, not for "history", but for the poetry, from what I've picked up and been told, you need to have an understanding of how things are poetically said, and some of the riddles that Robert Cochrane gave (like 1734, which is the name of a Goddess, among other things and 1737, which is the name of a God, among other things) would most likely need poetry to help solve them, again probably among other skills.

Hope this helps, and if I can think of some more, I'll post them.

is offline is trying to think of something clever.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayneStorm View Post
    So I'm wanting to learn about Traditional Witchcraft. The only thing I've found so far is British Traditional Witchcraft and it looks interesting! I want to learn more about it.
    Hey,

Just a random note: British Traditional Witchcraft (or BTW) is commonly used to refer to forms of Wicca derived from Gardner (ie. Gardnerian, Alexandrian, Mohsian, Central Valley, some Blue Star, etc). For info on these, your best bet is to join the Yahoo! group Amber and Jet to try and find a coven.

Non- or Pre- Gardnerian witchcraft (Traditional Witchcraft, which also includes Traditional Initiatory Witchcraft) usually deals with Robert Cochrane's work, but also can include Andrew Chumbley's stuff and many others. Hedgewytchery.com is the best site for info, and Meadows of Elfhame is good too. What a list of links, David!

Hope this clarifies (rather than muddies) things a bit.

Cheers,

Semjaza
    "Being Nietzschean requires one to think apart from him, starting from the spot where the "work in progress" that is philosophy was transformed by his passage. He called for unfaithful disciples who, by their betrayal, would prove their loyalty. He wanted people to obey him by following themselves and no one else, not even him. Particularly not him."
    -- Michel Onfray, In Defense of Atheism

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast