Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone here at MW an Archer as in Ancient Archery Longbows. etc.

is offline Teller of Unvarnished Truth
    Hudson River Valley in the shadow of Storm King Mountain

Is anyone here at MW an Archer as in Ancient Archery Longbows. etc.

This past summer I had a bowyer make a longbow to my specifications and I have been practicing to become proficient with it. I learned to shoot with a longbow at the age of four and shot traditional archery (mostly with a recurve) till I was in my twenties. That was the '70s and the compound bow took me on a new path. This year I hung the compound up for good and returned to my roots.

Are there any other ancient archers here at Mystic Wicks?
    God is an underachiever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is offline Putting the "Cuss" in Customer
    Unfortunately I don't know any Bowyers, but it does sound like a cool thing.
    “If you are going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

"If someone gets into your house, which would you rather have, a handgun or a telephone? You can call the police if you want, and they'll get there, and they'll take a picture of your dead body. But they can't get there in time to save your life. The first line of defense is you." ~ Tom Palmer

"It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle." ~ Alexis De Tocquiville

Quote Originally Posted by Laisrean View Post
    Unfortunately I don't know any Bowyers, but it does sound like a cool thing.
    It is a ton of fun. There is a lot of nuance to the old ways that I need to get back in touch with. Spine weights on arrows. Brace height of the string. Flemish twist bow-strings.

But most of all the lack of a fixed sight. All my shooting these days is instinct and, while it does come back to you, it has been a long time. I will post a pic of the new bow when the little one returns with the camera.
    God is an underachiever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I shoot with a recurve. I've been into it for a while and a couple of years ago I joined JOAD, but then I turned 18 and they politely kicked me out, lol. So now I'm taking it at my college for PE credits.

I don't make bows, though, if that's what you're asking, but I do shoot.
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

I've never tried archery, but have always wanted to learn. I'd want to learn on an old-style bow - fiberglass just doesn't do it for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Guide: Gods and Goddesses

MW Tarot Readings NOT currently accepting tarot reading requests via PM, but will answer posts in the Reading Request subforum if it is possible for me to do so. :spinnysmi

I bought my bow from Roy Hall at Navajo Longbows

http://www.navajobows.com/index.html

He was very accomodating, he asked tons of questions and made sure that he knew exactly what I wanted. The bow is beautiful and shoots smooth as glass with no hand shock and very little noise.

I am looking for people who share the joy of archery and also who can help me with some of the tuning issues.

What Say Ye...
    God is an underachiever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mmm...can't help you with tuning, sorry. But archery is a passion of mine and still the best reason I can think of for going to school, lol!
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Ancient? No. I used to practice archery daily for many years in the backyard.

Space constraints forced me to give it up, although I was quite good and would love to have had the chance to forsake a modern bow for an older model.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidron View Post
    Ancient? No. I used to practice archery daily for many years in the backyard.

Space constraints forced me to give it up, although I was quite good and would love to have had the chance to forsake a modern bow for an older model.
    I empathize... currently I am lucky enough to live in a fairly rural area with acres of woods backing up my yard. the arrows that make it that far are usually retrieved by the real Thunder...Rolling Thunder... my English Springer Spaniel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transfered from Old Cmputer on 5-22-2005 549.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	78843 Thunder is the handsome one on the right.
    God is an underachiever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used to 'play with bows' when I was in the ACF. Left when I was 17 though - I really miss the zen like state I enter when knocking an arrow and letting it loose... I'm sure there are archery clubs near me but they are £££££££ up front. Bah. Modern materials are ok for bows but I love the creek of old wood, met a fella from Japan once who works with the wood his grandfather put away, shaping and stringing it into bows for samuari, he is doing the same (selecting and seasoning wood and stuff) for his grandchildren to use when the time is right - just goes to show a quality peice can take over a lifetime to make
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

Adam and Meagan sitting in a tree K I S S I N G

Founder of the Soli-Tarty movement - Pagan tarts unite (in my bedroom)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast