Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What stone are your Rune Stones made from?

I've always toyed with the idea of using a different stone for each rune, but never really followed through

The set I use the most is made of pewter. My favorite set of all time was a simple clay set but a few broke after years of use

Geez, you people are so creative in here! I'd never even thought about making my own runes until the glass beads from Walmart were mentioned. Now I need to go there sometime and buy some. Those things are so much easier and the personalization of doing them yourself can only enhance their ability to give you an far better result that some set ordered online. The ones I've seen in catalogues are nearly $50 in some cases! Don't know about the rest of you, but that's not in my budget right now!

Didn't there use to be some sort of etching paint that you could paint onto glass to etch the surface in any design you wanted? Seems like that would make the surface more receptive to a paint that would show up on the surface than just leaving it's shiny original state. I don't know if that etching paint is still around, but it might be in some crafts store that carries a full line of crafts supplies. Like maybe a "Michaels". Still painting with the clear paint over the sigils would keep it from being scratched off so quickly even with the etching done first.

amazonite
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Mine are glass. A few years ago, I had a crazy (I mean total whack job, "Single White Female," suck the life out you kind of crazy) client who offered to make me some runes in exchange for a reading. Prior to that, I was using clay runes. They worked great, but I didn't particular like the gritty feel of the clay. At the time, I didn't know what a whack job this person was, so I took her up on the offer. She used some sort of engraving tool to etch the runes into the flattened glass marbles that you get at home decorating stores and what-not, you know, the kind you put in decorative fish bowls and planters. They are small, an entire set of 24 fits into the palm of my hand, which makes them PERFECT for the way I read runes, which is by throwing them onto a marked cloth. After a good cleansing of her energeis (gods... I've got the heebie jeebies just thinking of her and how she leeched onto me and tried to take over my life, literally, *shiver*) they still work wonderfully.
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

I have three sets - one set is made from clay, one from river stones, and one out of hematite.
    Smart-assery provided free of charge.

Der Mann, Der Tiger, Die Legende

Ghosted by ~Elise~ & Master Kodiak

I have several sets, probably too many for my own good ... but they have very different "personalities," so to speak.

I have a set of wood, although I haven't been able to identify exactly which wood.

My stone sets are clear quartz, which are very good for issues in which clarity is needed.

The blue sodalite seem to work more for healings.

The garnets are very strong, and very personal. I don't use these for readings for others at this point. They have made it very clear that they are for my own use.

I have an iron set that have established themselves as "war runes." They are very heavy duty.

I am the religious right. Just not the religion most people expect.

Contrary to popular belief, Hello Kitty is not my totem animal.

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed, But have his weapons to hand: He knows not when he may need a spear, Or what menace meet on the road. ~~Havamal #38
    Become the change you wish to see in the world.
    The Cellar

I bought my first set a couple of weeks ago. It's made of hematite, one of my favorite stones.
    02-07-1943
    05-19-2009
    Papi - R.I.P.
    I love you. Always.

My runes are made from yellow buttons, with a blue ribbon and a piece of red card stock on which I've written the rune.

My runes are adorable. XDD

see:
    Last edited by LESSTHAN3; July 23rd, 2009 at 11:06 AM.

So far i have made two sets. One of river stones (they're rather large) and my others are moonstone... My moonstone ones are the set i'm most drawn too. ^_~

Love the button ones though... Very crafty! (pun intended) =)
    PhoenixRevival

"I have infinite patience... It's tolerance I lack".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRevival View Post
    So far i have made two sets. One of river stones (they're rather large) and my others are moonstone... My moonstone ones are the set i'm most drawn too. ^_~

Love the button ones though... Very crafty! (pun intended) =)
    Haha thanks. They were the cheapest thing I could make them out of and still have them be pretty. I like that idea with the glass fish bowl beads though, I should try that sometime.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast