Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: What stone are your Rune Stones made from?

Wow!

You are all so creative! You've given me some great ideas!
    My very first set is still my only set. I just finished it in May. It's a simple Oak tile set that I carved with my little boline, then inked with red, then sanded and waxed. I've used them so much over the past few months that they've picked up a gorgeous patina!
    *on a side note...I know that "magic works"...but to see the oracle be RIGHT on the money Time After Time(!) continues to blow my tiny little mind!*
    Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Mine are wood made from Ash I think that I harvested myself and then painted myself.

Here's a picture: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/895...undeadwolf.jpg

I realize the topic is stone, sorry.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    ~Marcus Aurelius

Foreman: I think your argument is specious.
    House: I think your tie is ugly.

[deviantART]
    [Friend said this video reminded her of me]

Quote Originally Posted by HiccupingBat View Post
    Mine are wood made from Ash I think that I harvested myself and then painted myself.

Here's a picture: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/895...undeadwolf.jpg

I realize the topic is stone, sorry.
    Runes were traditionally made from wood pieces. Until fairly recently "rune stone" meant a large slab of rock with runes inscribed on it perhaps recording an event or an important date or some other information. Runes such as the Elder Futhark work in a different way. But some traditional rune readers feel that various materials such as stones and clay work just as well as wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    Runes were traditionally made from wood pieces. Until fairly recently "rune stone" meant a large slab of rock with runes inscribed on it perhaps recording an event or an important date or some other information. Runes such as the Elder Futhark work in a different way. But some traditional rune readers feel that various materials such as stones and clay work just as well as wood.
    Just wanted to be sure, I guess.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    ~Marcus Aurelius

Foreman: I think your argument is specious.
    House: I think your tie is ugly.

[deviantART]
    [Friend said this video reminded her of me]

I made mine out of glass beads.
    Saluto ut veneficari , pro hic es verum prudens

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    I don't think ancient people would have cared what they're made from. It's not about the material, but the energy put into them that make them work.

Quote Originally Posted by LESSTHAN3 View Post
    I don't think ancient people would have cared what they're made from. It's not about the material, but the energy put into them that make them work.
    Ah, but they did care. They used wooden pieces because of the connection with Odin and his dying on the tree, and because wood absorbs blood better than gem stones. The runes from other cultures were sometimes made of bones, carved and then stained or shaded.

Of course other materials can and do work just as well, I was merely pointing out the historical significance of wood over stone for portable runes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post

Mine are made from Green Jade, the runes carved lightly into each stone and painted gold.
    Mine are the same but painted silver on the inside.

I bought them from a pagan store as well. I saw them and fell in love right away and I had to have them. I love my runes. They fit me so well I think Jade is my favorite stone, it's got great meaning and a great energy about it (for me at least)

( i need to practice more tho, i dont use them enough)
    "To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter; to be thrilled by the stars at night: to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring... these are some of the rewards of the simple life."

I have two sets. One is bone and the other is sodalite.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bone, really? What animal? Did you make them yourself?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast