Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Fairy-Tales

I used to love Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs as a child.

i love all the grimm brothers faerytales ,but i really remember being very scared as a child of the legend of sleepyhollow,but i always came back for more. I guess thats why faerytales are so intriguing. though im not sure legend of sleepy hollow is classified as a faerytale.

Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    Speaking of which, do you know where I can read the original fairy tales, the ones that weren't meant for children, I've been trying to read at least some of them, but can't find them (I've read in quite a few places that fairy tales weren't originally meant for kids, and were quite dark and horrific, so naturally, that's right up my street ).

Thanks for any help .
    The original Grimm's fairy tales are easy to find at any library or book store. Just ask the librarian or clerk at the bookstore. Just check to make sure that the listed author is Brothers Grimm and not someone else. Same goes with Hans Christian Andersen's work. If their name is in the title, you are getting the watered down version, if they are credited as the author, then you are getting the real deal.

Also, if the picture on the cover is sweet, cute, and childishly innocent, you most likely have the watered down stuff in your hands.

Specifically, look for the word "unabridged" which means the tales haven't been cut up, watered down, or simplified for the modern mindset.
    Brought to you by the
    National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
    Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
    Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
    You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
    It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
    I am aware of how nasty I come across.
    If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
    I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Mater View Post
    The original Grimm's fairy tales are easy to find at any library or book store. Just ask the librarian or clerk at the bookstore. Just check to make sure that the listed author is Brothers Grimm and not someone else. Same goes with Hans Christian Andersen's work. If their name is in the title, you are getting the watered down version, if they are credited as the author, then you are getting the real deal.
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm actually republished a lot of their early works in a more child-friendly way, in order to market them to parents. There weren't a lot of people, even in those days, who read the graphic fairy tales. I can't remember which volume was which, but there original works are far more interesting than the ones that they republished to appease the masses. I'll look into it....

Check out this site: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/ashliman.html. Dr Ashliman did a lot of great translations of old European fairy tales. He was a well known professor where I went to college, and I took a fairy tale class under one of his colleagues. If you want a book of fairy tales, check out his "Voices From the Past", it is 494 pages of great ones. You might not want to read the these ones to the kids though!

I like the Wild Huntsman tales.
    No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature.~ Emerson

Always With Us... :rip: George Evans IV 1980-2004

Nothing to do? Come haiku...

I love Little Red Riding hood and the symbolisim behind it. I also am partial to the Little Mermaid, Cinderella, and Snow White
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Mater View Post

Also, if the picture on the cover is sweet, cute, and childishly innocent, you most likely have the watered down stuff in your hands.

Specifically, look for the word "unabridged" which means the tales haven't been cut up, watered down, or simplified for the modern mindset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaman7 View Post
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm actually republished a lot of their early works in a more child-friendly way, in order to market them to parents. There weren't a lot of people, even in those days, who read the graphic fairy tales. I can't remember which volume was which, but there original works are far more interesting than the ones that they republished to appease the masses. I'll look into it....

Check out this site: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/ashliman.html. Dr Ashliman did a lot of great translations of old European fairy tales. He was a well known professor where I went to college, and I took a fairy tale class under one of his colleagues. If you want a book of fairy tales, check out his "Voices From the Past", it is 494 pages of great ones. You might not want to read the these ones to the kids though!

I like the Wild Huntsman tales.
    Thanks both of you, from what I've heard, the Grimm brothers did water down a lot of the Fairy Tales they published to make it more suitable for parents to read to their kids, etc. Thanks for that link, Shaman7, I'll definitely try and check out that link too .

My favourites are collections of fairy tales that are supposedly true tales such as Yeats Irish Fairy & Folk Tales, The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries, and Sir George Douglas' Scottish Fairy & Folk Tales. They're a lot of fun and usually a lot darker and stranger than more mainstream fairy tales.

Favourite individual tales have to be the Scottish tale Habetrot and the Scantlie Mab and the Russian tales: Vassilisa the Beautiful, The Firebird, and The Frog Princess. I can read them over and over and over.

I love fairy tales and having a child makes an excuse for me to buy many illustrated fairy tale books :D On that subject, fairy tales are always really magical for me. I love Snow White and Red Riding Hood especially. I prefer the traditional stories, and even the darker versions than Disney fairytales though.

Cinderella
    The Wild Swans
    Rumplestiltskin
    Sleeping Beauty
    Goldielocks and the 3 Bears
    The Little Mermaid
    Hansel and Gretel
    The Blue Light
    Pinocchio
    Snow White
    Puss In Boots
    The Shoe Elves
    Last edited by Glowingsun; September 12th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like many of them, but my favorite is Beauty & the Beast. I enjoy all variants of it, including the Disney one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast