Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Fairy-Tales

I live on an incredible acreage in the Qu'Appelle Valley
    I can remember reading Ali Baba and the 40 thieves over and over when I was little.................
    Enter Her World
    ~Jaqueline Frost touches the flowers~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love Sleeping Beauty. There's something about the fact that she's in her predicament because of curiosity, rather than general girly helplessness, that I find refreshing.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

I loved Thumblelina when I was a kid. I pretty much love all fairy tales. Reading this thread makes me want to dig around in my book shelf for the Grimm's Fairy Tales(the darker ones) and read it again!
    I won't control or restrain things I do not understand
    Now I realize I'm stronger, better
    They gave to me now I give to you
    The means to burn the thoughts I had
    Now I realize I'm stronger, better, more
    ~Wherein Lies Continue by Slipknot

is offline Jewish Renewalist/Who knows?
    I like The Girl Who Pretended to Be a Boy just because it is so weird. I also like Gold Tree and Silver Tree because of how it is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman7 View Post
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm actually republished a lot of their early works in a more child-friendly way, in order to market them to parents. There weren't a lot of people, even in those days, who read the graphic fairy tales. I can't remember which volume was which, but there original works are far more interesting than the ones that they republished to appease the masses. I'll look into it....
    I read that their version of "family friendly" meant taking out all the references to sex and adding more violence, though there were also a few that were removed for being too violent or disturbing.

Two of them can be found here:
    http://alderwounds.livejournal.com/3075.html
    Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

I loved fairy-tales as a kid.... just recently realized that I STILL do! lol

One of my very favorites, as a kid, was the story of The Ugly Duckling (... tho, I dunno - does that count as "fairly-tale"? )

I also liked Repunzel, Snow White, and Little Red Riding Hood.

Recently, I got a cool book from the local Half Priced Books store - it's called "Grimms Grimmest" I'm gunna have to really dig into that one! lol But, as of yet, I've only read the first story in it - "The Juniper Tree", which I liked.

I also enjoy the story of Jack and The Beanstalk.

. . . and Cinderella ...and The Little Mermaid ... and the story of Blue Beard... Rumplestiltskin... Hansel & Gretel... The Shoemaker and The Elves. . .

And, I'm not sure if it really counts as a fairy-tale, per se', but I've always loved - and still love - the story of The Pied Piper. I still remember the very first time I heard that story.... It's pretty much THE story that made me fall in love with stories. :hearthear

Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale.
    Tweet THIS.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is offline Jewish Renewalist/Who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorZhanna View Post
    I like the originals too and I wish I could read them but it's hard to find them.

For example tales like Snow White, Sleeping Beauty were a bit different in their original form and you can read about it on wikipedia.
    Now, Cinderella is said to be one of the oldest fairy-tales of those "Disney" ones. I read on wiki that originally it was an Ancient Egyptian tale of a girl named Rhodopis or something (if I remember correctly) and since I'm such a huge Egypt fan I got really interested but then found out that there's almost nothing about it anywhere else.

Actually, the oldest fairy-tales are Ancient Egyptian. Or so wiki said, lol.
    There's a book called "The Egyptian Cinderella" that I remember reading in Elementary School. You can find it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Egyptian-Cinde.../dp/0064432793
    Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

I once cried after reading the Gentle Giant. It was sooo sad and unexpected. Nothing said one boy died and came back more than showing the proof. It was jus so eerie.
    The even eerier thing was the only time I cried while reading the story was when I was living in a haunted house and I was in my creepy room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sleeping Beauty. I absolutely LOVE it when Maleficent turns into the bada$$ dragon.

AWESOME!!!

Aurora would've been perfect if she had black hair. I did feel sorry for her when she pricked her finger on the spindle thing.

The sorceress from Snow White is my all-time favorite villain. I love it when she goes nutso and hysterical after taking that potion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would say Rumplestiltskin, Hansel and Gretel, Thumbelina and The Shoe Elves!

(And now that I'm thinking about it, I think we'll be making a trip to the bookstore this afternoon to find some new books for my daughter!)

Signature Photos From JKP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast