• Jainism: Digambara

1 2.13%
  • Jainism: Svetambara

0 0%
  • Taoism

21 44.68%
  • Shinto

5 10.64%
  • Some type of Syncretic path (please explain, which)

6 12.77%
  • Other/Not listed (please post)

7 14.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eastern Paths Poll

Wow lots voted for Taoism, I wonder if people would be interested in more threads about it?

Hi guys... I've been pagan for a long as I can remember, but also inspired by Buddhist & Hindu texts as soon as I got my hands on them in university. I'd say I find the overall perspective of Tibetan Buddhism (a branch of the Vajrayana path) most inspiring, and the most conducive to blending with my pagan sensibilities. I am very inspired by the Dakini Principal and the idea of the dakini "texts" hidden in nature...

Hinduism has also been of interest to me, though I know much less of it... in both Hinduism and Buddhism I am very interested in the more complex interpretation of gender in their symbology, androgyny, etc.

I've picked Taoism and Other. I've been considering joining an Orthodox Church because of this book I picked up recently, called Christ the Eternal Tao. It doesn't use anything from Taoism besides the Tao Te Ching, but it's very interesting. It makes me wonder just how many practices in Eastern Religions are path specific, as the rites & practices are my main attractions to Taoism and Zen Buddhism. Basically, I'm stuck between Taoism and either Orthodox Christianity, or my own way...

I voted Tibetan Buddhism, because despite my own practice with Wicca, that is the more usual water I now swim in. I have realized that many things I do now are from the influences of my family practicing this religion. Now that I am conscious of these, I accept them.

I could have said syncretic, but that isn't really the truth. I think of it more as different roles and actions in different situations.
    Her Spastic Silliness the Princess Mandarava,
    Chocolate City Guild President (elected by voter fraud), in the Church of Eris

"Beware of cheap Occidental imitations!"

Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig

I am studying/practicing Hinduism in the form of Shaktism.

I call myself a Shaktic Witch. Meaning that I study/live Shaktism and am putting more focus on Kali (Mahakali), hence my name kalidasa meaning "servant/devotee of Kali", and practice Witchcraft as just that ... a Craft. I do not incorporate Mahadevi into my Craft because my Craft depends on my power and my power alone, although my prayers, offerings, and sacrifices ascend to Ma. So I live both, study both, and practice both. They do not conflict, and that's a great thing.
    Last edited by kalidasa; September 5th, 2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Add more info.

I voted for General Buddhism, Taoism, and Syncretism... mainly, I consider myself to be an Eclectic Pagan with strong influences from Buddhism and Taoism.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Guide: Gods and Goddesses

MW Tarot Readings NOT currently accepting tarot reading requests via PM, but will answer posts in the Reading Request subforum if it is possible for me to do so. :spinnysmi

It's complicated.

I practice general Hinduism with some syncretism thrown in. I view the Buddhas as Devas, basically, Gods in their own right.
    Last edited by Gaudior; January 24th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Mostly OTHER but a little bit of Taoism - though the tao is specifically sorcery-connected, so I didn't include it when I voted.

My path is 무속신앙, otherwise better known in English as MUGYO or Korean shamanism. I'm ethnically Korean and experienced spirit sickness. I'm currently being spirit-led until I'm able to save enough to become initiated by my spirit mother to traditionally train me.
    Call me Mivi.
    무속인 (Korean Shaman).
    "Money can move the gods."
    Ceremony Fundraiser
    2k17 Pilgrimage!

I voted Shintoism primarily, with Zen Buddhism and Toaism for their influences on Japanese culture and faith as a whole, as well as "Other" for Shugendō, or Mountain asceticism.

Shugendo is a fascinating combination between ancient Buddhism and Shinto that is sadly very very difficult to learn about outside of Japan. there are some things but they are anthropological type exterior looks at it that focuses on the fact that it is a "Mystery" and never get much more into then just "they hike and meditate in the mountains!" here have the best link I've manged to find on it just cause: http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/shugendou.html
    神の恵みと祖先の恩とに感謝し
    明き清きまことをもって祭しにいそしむこと。

Kami no megumi to sosen no on to ni kanshashi
    Akaki kiyoki makoto o motte saishi ni isoshimu koto.

I am grateful for the blessings of the kami and my ancestors
    And will practice my faith with brightness, purity, and sincerity.

敬神生活の綱領
    Keishin seikatsu no koryo
    Commitment of Life Devotion

- 'Shinto Norito' by Ann Llewellyn Evans -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2