Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Please welcome Mike Nichols to the Author's Circle

Quote Originally Posted by mike nichols View Post
    There is an old saying that, if you really want to learn a subject thoroughly, just try teaching it! It has worked for me for nearly 40 years! (Geez, did I say that out loud? How do I backspace on this thing?!)

There is another old saying that those who can't do, teach. LOL!!! Oddly enough, although I can analyse and diagram a ritual the way some people diagram sentences, I don't consider myself a great ritualist. My writing is prose, probably more akin to a tech manual. Good ritual is closer to poetry. Some people have a natural gift at writing it. I do not. I only write about it.

My mother taught me to sew many years ago. She could take bits of two or more patterns and make something completely unique. I guess that's where I learned to take bits of more than one ritual and add some ideas from here and there and come up with something that not only works, but works pretty dang well. However, I don't think it would be nearly as good if I sat down with a planner and wrote my own ritual from scratch.

Welcome to the forums!

Its exciting to see so many authors in one place.
    Walking Wolf's Road: A work in progress by D. Burch

I'm ANTI-Peta! I will not support them, nor their associates.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasari View Post
    Welcome to the forums!
    Thank you so much!

Its exciting to see so many authors in one place.
    Yeah, now if we can just keep them all from arguing...
    By the way, my MySpace site is
    http://www.myspace.com/witchessabbats

Bright Blessings,
    Mike

"'The best thing for being sad,' replied Merlyn, 'is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails.'"
    --T. H. White, The Once and Future King.

Yeah, now if we can just keep them all from arguing...
    lol,
    Ahh, well. If there is one thing I've learned well in life, its that conflict spurs growth and development far quicker than sweet nothings.

To be less than eloquent with words. It can really put a fire under one's arse to get something done or research something. Or it can lead to new realizations or turn into a form of inspiration. So even if some of the authors argue with each other at times, it may be beneficial to them and / or their work. Never know.

lol,
    Ahh, well. If there is one thing I've learned well in life, its that conflict spurs growth and development far quicker than sweet nothings.
    Oh, I don't know... Sweet nothings can sure spur growth in certain-- oops, wait a sec... Is this forum moderated???

To be less than eloquent with words. It can really put a fire under one's arse to get something done or research something. Or it can lead to new realizations or turn into a form of inspiration. So even if some of the authors argue with each other at times, it may be beneficial to them and / or their work. Never know.
    Actually, I quite agree. And I quite like your attitude about research, too. I decided from a very early age that it was cool to know stuff. (Hence, the quote in my sig file.)
    By the way, my MySpace site is
    http://www.myspace.com/witchessabbats

Bright Blessings,
    Mike

"'The best thing for being sad,' replied Merlyn, 'is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails.'"
    --T. H. White, The Once and Future King.

Oh, I don't know... Sweet nothings can sure spur growth in certain-- oops, wait a sec... Is this forum moderated???
    haha, I do believe it is.

Actually, I quite agree. And I quite like your attitude about research, too. I decided from a very early age that it was cool to know stuff. (Hence, the quote in my sig file.)
    I certainly agree with the quote. Nothing cheers me up more than learning something new, trying something new or doing research. Well, aside from good friends, family, the heathen cats, the hubby and a cup of coffee. Then again, All of that tends to lead toward new lessons, experiences and research. So it becomes quite an active circle.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6