Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creating my own deck

Creating my own deck

I was thinking of creating my own tarot deck but was not sure how to go about it. Ive never made one before and the idea sounded really intresting. Are there certain things required to create your own deck or can you just do what you want? Any advice or suggestons would be really apprecated.
    I write for the same reason i breathe, because if i didnt, i would die. -Issac Asimov
    ~
    "I had a friend once. Then a rope broke and he got away."

~
    "You dont have to like your family to love them." - My Dad
    ~

i was about to tell u to go to home builders association.

heh
    I write for the same reason i breathe, because if i didnt, i would die. -Issac Asimov
    ~

~
    ~

First you need to decide is this a deck for just your personal use or something you want to publish? If it is for personal use anything can be used to make your cards. As in other threads in this sub forum have shown you can buy pre -made cards to put your images on or you can print them out yourself....

I would add to make sure you want to create a Tarot deck, and not an Oracle deck. Tarot has a specific structure, while Oracles can be as many cards as you like in any format.

So, study the structure, figure out what type of decks you like to work with and start from there.

Like RavensEye said, if the deck is for you, then feel free to use whatever you like (you will want to take notes if you are using any copyrighted art, for future reference). But if you want to publish it in any way it needs to be wholly original.

Good luck, it is a fascinating journey!
    :fpraise: All hail the mighty SEARCH function! :fpraiseyo

See the completed cards from the MW Tarot Project @ the link below:

If "a gentle touch speaks volumes" imagine what a bitch-slap can do! ~ me

this is for personal use only. I dont plan to publish it or anything.
    ~

~
    ~

Ok, cool so the next thing you may want to do is figure out what materials you can afford or what you have to work with and what medium you want to use. Some people use Stock photos for such personal projects while others like myself like to work right from scratch. What do you like to use paint, ink, crayons?

Then after that you need to decide are you making your cards out of paper wise and that would be based on what medium you use. Like I said before you can buy the premade cards and you can get them from US Games online and various other places. Other types of paper can be gotten at local Staples or other types of stationary stores. Also another thing that may come up for you is whether or not to laminate them and on and on the process goes.

Also side note having a good bases's of the card meanings before hand really help create a card to your unique view and card. I usually look mediate about the card and see what images and words come to me then I do a sketch of what I saw and heard.

I have to say thank you KageMori for starting your thread, I have been working on my Tarot book and specifically a chapter on deck creation, and this really has helped me get my thoughts together. If you have any other questions let me know and I will see if I can help you out or not becuase what I posted here is only a small part of tarot creation.

Tarot has a specific structure, while Oracles can be as many cards as you like in any format.
    Hey Lisa good points in your post.

PS: something I forgot to add in the above post is you will also need to decide on the size of your deck. Do you want large cards or hand held cards that fit nicely in your palm?

i was planning on buying some blank tarot cards from the store and adding my pictures onto them. Im a writer and i write all sorts of stories , from poems to novels. Along the way i form bonds with my characters and what i wanted to do was use some of my characters on the cards that resemble thier personalities the most. does that sound like a good idea?
    ~

~
    ~

i was planning on buying some blank tarot cards from the store and adding my pictures onto them. Im a writer and i write all sorts of stories , from poems to novels. Along the way i form bonds with my characters and what i wanted to do was use some of my characters on the cards that resemble thier personalities the most. does that sound like a good idea?
    I think it is a good idea but really it is up to you, it is your deck after all

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast