Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: British Prison Population Reaches Record High

British Prison Population Reaches Record High

Justice Secretary Jack Straw has asked magistrates to consider non-custodial sentences in some cases to help ease prison overcrowding.
    The prison population in England and Wales has risen to a record high of 82,006 - 21 places short of capacity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7258137.stm

It's a sobering thought that after 10,000 years of recorded history we still do not know how to deter crime!

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    I think there are too many people being put into jail for offenses that don't, in my opinion, require it. I know of some mentally ill and disabled people who are put into jail, even though they may not have committed a crime, because they don't have a place to live in or receive proper supervision. However, its not a problem that is isolated in the UK. I believe that many industrialized, first world countries, have similar issues.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

A crimeless society is virtually impossible. No matter how severe the punishment. No matter how slim the chances of getting away with the crime. There is alot I wish to say about how I think we could, humanely cut crime rates down , but it is 3am and my mind is jelly...

...Meanwhile, can't we just ship them to Oz or something? Worked before
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

Adam and Meagan sitting in a tree K I S S I N G

Founder of the Soli-Tarty movement - Pagan tarts unite (in my bedroom)

I think that prison should be reserved for people who represent a threat to society, that is anyone who has used or planned to use violence as a means to carrying out a criminal offence, and those committed of sexual offences.

For people who commit non-violent offences we need to find alternative means of punishment than custodial sentences. The problem in this country, however, and probably elsewhere, is that playground politics is the norm, this were men in suits from privileged backgrounds talk tough and avoid the easy option even if the option that seems easy, such as not sending convicted criminals to prison, might actually be the right one. It’s all about posturing and vote winning, not about actually dealing with the problem.

When I worked in the British prison system I can remember being called to a meeting where the governor expressed concerns that the prison was running out of places for inmates, that police stations were being used as holding cells, and that the prison population was reaching a record high. That was 6 years ago and it is still happening so all the tough talking has actually done us no good whatsoever.

I believe that the British government are considering proposals to build new “super-prisons” that will be bigger, but not necessarily better, than the ones we already have, at the same time the are making budget cuts to the prison service that are being translated into fewer staff.

Britain is an island, we could make the whole place into a prison and contract it out to other countries!

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by Against The Tide View Post
    ...Meanwhile, can't we just ship them to Oz or something? Worked before
    No, we have enough of your tourists right now.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

is offline Putting the "Cuss" in Customer
    Since Britain has such a serious crime problem maybe they should consider banning guns? Oh, wait....

Sorry guys, but until you give private citizens the means to defend themselves from criminals this is only going to keep getting worse. Police can't be everywhere 24/7. You have to give people the right to defend themselves.
    “If you are going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

"If someone gets into your house, which would you rather have, a handgun or a telephone? You can call the police if you want, and they'll get there, and they'll take a picture of your dead body. But they can't get there in time to save your life. The first line of defense is you." ~ Tom Palmer

"It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle." ~ Alexis De Tocquiville

The banning of handguns was supposed to make Britain a safer place but the opposite has occurred with a proliferation of crimes in which firearms have either been used or threatened with use.

I’ve always thought that control is better than prohibition in many areas, guns is one of them.

Worryingly the knife seems to have become the weapon of choice amongst the young, we’ve had too many sad incidents were young people have suffered serious injury or death as a result of someone carrying a knife. Some of these criminals seemed to have gone on to carrying knives whilst they carry out muggings to.

I don’t think that legalising guns for everyone is the answer for Britain, we already have the right to defend ourselves with the use of justifiable force, the exact level of force used being assessed by the Police and, if deemed necessary, the law courts.

The current situation reflects, in my opinion, the state of British society where short-term interests and profits are seen to be more valuable than long-term social stability.

Obviously you don't understand the British people.

First, we just don't want guns. The majority of the British people just do not want firearms to be legal.

Second, if they where legal it'll be a bloodbath. By nature we are a violent people, cities like Manchester and London would become extremely dangerous under an American style system.

I agree, since the fall of Communism, fireamrs have become more common. It's easier to smuggle eastern European fireamrs into the country now. We are an iland afterall, but to be honest the vast majority of violent crimes are commited with knives, borken bottles or good, old fashioned fists.

I think we should bring back the policy of conscription for lesser offenders. Put them in the armour for a set term, train and discipline them and send them out to earn their freedom serving their country. Once upona time the system bloody well worked.

I'm also in favour of national service for 16 year olds, a few years in the army to teach them discipline before they go onto the streets.

Incidently, why is it so hard for Americans to understand that firearms are not the answer to problems. America has legal firearms and they have just as bad a problem with violent crime.

is offline Fear me, you lords and lady preachers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laisrean View Post
    Since Britain has such a serious crime problem maybe they should consider banning guns? Oh, wait....

Sorry guys, but until you give private citizens the means to defend themselves from criminals this is only going to keep getting worse. Police can't be everywhere 24/7. You have to give people the right to defend themselves.
    Yes, that'll really work as well as it works for America. Huh? School shoot-out? What on earth do you mean?

In case you missed it, I was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpoet View Post
    Obviously you don't understand the British people.

First, we just don't want guns. The majority of the British people just do not want firearms to be legal.

Second, if they where legal it'll be a bloodbath. By nature we are a violent people, cities like Manchester and London would become extremely dangerous under an American style system.

I agree, since the fall of Communism, fireamrs have become more common. It's easier to smuggle eastern European fireamrs into the country now. We are an iland afterall, but to be honest the vast majority of violent crimes are commited with knives, borken bottles or good, old fashioned fists.

I think we should bring back the policy of conscription for lesser offenders. Put them in the armour for a set term, train and discipline them and send them out to earn their freedom serving their country. Once upona time the system bloody well worked.

I'm also in favour of national service for 16 year olds, a few years in the army to teach them discipline before they go onto the streets.

Incidently, why is it so hard for Americans to understand that firearms are not the answer to problems. America has legal firearms and they have just as bad a problem with violent crime.
    Yes, when the death count in wars was high, this might have worked. Now, you'd just be training them in use of firearms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wit beyond measure is Man's greatest treasure.
    - Ravenclaw proverb

Sig by: Laoghaire

The old form of National Service really did not achieve very much, according to some who did it in the 1950’s it merely taught them how to wander around looking busy when they were just killing time (without the use of a firearm).

However, that said, I would be in favour of a form of National Service that used military discipline techniques but concentrated on benefiting society in the places where people live, putting young people to work in areas of deprivation for example. I think that this might make some of them appreciate that they are actually a part of a much bigger whole and the work could be offset with opportunities to do adventure training, a character building process in itself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast