Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: The Multiverse

  1. #1
     is offline Only in darkness can you find true light
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16

    The Multiverse

    Alright, this is a question that is really bothering me. Some say there's a multiverse, including our universe. But im not completely convinced. I know its possible, but my real question is: If there is a multiverse, does that mean that there are people that are suppose to be us in the other universes?

    Dante

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under your bed!
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante W. View Post
    Alright, this is a question that is really bothering me. Some say there's a multiverse, including our universe. But im not completely convinced. I know its possible, but my real question is: If there is a multiverse, does that mean that there are people that are suppose to be us in the other universes?

    Dante
    Possibly, possibly not.

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Lake Chaubunagungamaug
    Posts
    17,552
    It just means all the other universes may have completely different laws of physics and strange properties that don't exist in this one. They might not even be suitable for life as we know it. Or some could be similar with similar versions of us. Or similiar with nothing like us at all.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me




    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

    First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    city of brotherly love
    Posts
    845
    I think I saw on the Discovery Channel that some scientists believe that gravity is actually not a force from our universe, but a carryover from another universe. Craziness!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    21,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante W. View Post
    does that mean that there are people that are suppose to be us in the other universes?
    No. People that are supposed to be us, are us, and are present in our universe, in our time, in our location.

    People in a different universe, a different time, and a different location, are different people and as such, not supposed to be us.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

    I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

  6. #6
    Myzterio's Avatar
     is offline Fear me, you lords and lady preachers!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Xentor View Post
    No. People that are supposed to be us, are us, and are present in our universe, in our time, in our location.

    People in a different universe, a different time, and a different location, are different people and as such, not supposed to be us.
    Indeed. What you're thinking is multi-dimensional, Dante. A slight difference in terms, but a huge difference in impacts.

    That would be speaking of different 'realities'. That is to say, each individual dimension would have a multi-verse of its own (disregarding those dimensions which would lack these due to differences in the realities).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wit beyond measure is Man's greatest treasure.
    - Ravenclaw proverb


    Sig by: Laoghaire
    Avatar by: Geministar

  7. #7
     is offline Only in darkness can you find true light
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16
    Ah. I understand. But I didnt mean "are supposed to be us" literally. I meant like they were like us, but a completely different person. But oh well, I get the gest of it now. Thank you all :P

  8. #8
    Garm's Avatar
     is offline <-- My own damn artwork for a change
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lost on the sea of UPGs
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,274
    Here's the science, if you're up for it

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

    In layman's terms, this means that there are an infinite number of universes and that everything that could possibly happen in our universe (but doesn't) does happen in another.
    I won't pretend my understanding of it goes far past the layman's interpretation

    Even if all this gets disproven eventually, it's a great, if overused, literary device
    "One between two worlds chants, "fire walk with me""

  9. #9
     is offline Only in darkness can you find true light
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Garm. Much appreciated. I'll look into it. So basically what it means is say I flip a coin and it lands heads up, in that universe it would be tails up. I gets it :P

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante W. View Post
    Thanks Garm. Much appreciated. I'll look into it. So basically what it means is say I flip a coin and it lands heads up, in that universe it would be tails up. I gets it :P
    Maybe. Or maybe it means it was a dime instead of a quarter that got flipped.
    ____________
    If you make a customer happy, he'll tell 3 other people.
    If he's not happy, he'll tell 20 others.




Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •