Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Multiverse

is offline Only in darkness can you find true light

The Multiverse

Alright, this is a question that is really bothering me. Some say there's a multiverse, including our universe. But im not completely convinced. I know its possible, but my real question is: If there is a multiverse, does that mean that there are people that are suppose to be us in the other universes?

Dante

Quote Originally Posted by Dante W. View Post
    Alright, this is a question that is really bothering me. Some say there's a multiverse, including our universe. But im not completely convinced. I know its possible, but my real question is: If there is a multiverse, does that mean that there are people that are suppose to be us in the other universes?

Dante
    Possibly, possibly not.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

It just means all the other universes may have completely different laws of physics and strange properties that don't exist in this one. They might not even be suitable for life as we know it. Or some could be similar with similar versions of us. Or similiar with nothing like us at all.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

I think I saw on the Discovery Channel that some scientists believe that gravity is actually not a force from our universe, but a carryover from another universe. Craziness!

does that mean that there are people that are suppose to be us in the other universes?
    No. People that are supposed to be us, are us, and are present in our universe, in our time, in our location.

People in a different universe, a different time, and a different location, are different people and as such, not supposed to be us.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

is offline Fear me, you lords and lady preachers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xentor View Post
    No. People that are supposed to be us, are us, and are present in our universe, in our time, in our location.

People in a different universe, a different time, and a different location, are different people and as such, not supposed to be us.
    Indeed. What you're thinking is multi-dimensional, Dante. A slight difference in terms, but a huge difference in impacts.

That would be speaking of different 'realities'. That is to say, each individual dimension would have a multi-verse of its own (disregarding those dimensions which would lack these due to differences in the realities).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wit beyond measure is Man's greatest treasure.
    - Ravenclaw proverb

Sig by: Laoghaire

Ah. I understand. But I didnt mean "are supposed to be us" literally. I meant like they were like us, but a completely different person. But oh well, I get the gest of it now. Thank you all :P

is offline <-- My own damn artwork for a change
    Here's the science, if you're up for it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

In layman's terms, this means that there are an infinite number of universes and that everything that could possibly happen in our universe (but doesn't) does happen in another.
    I won't pretend my understanding of it goes far past the layman's interpretation

Even if all this gets disproven eventually, it's a great, if overused, literary device
    "One between two worlds chants, "fire walk with me""

Thanks Garm. Much appreciated. I'll look into it. So basically what it means is say I flip a coin and it lands heads up, in that universe it would be tails up. I gets it :P

Thanks Garm. Much appreciated. I'll look into it. So basically what it means is say I flip a coin and it lands heads up, in that universe it would be tails up. I gets it :P
    Maybe. Or maybe it means it was a dime instead of a quarter that got flipped.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast