Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Incense Magick

Yup, yup! Space blessings and purifications, attracting certain things, beauty, good luck.. It's wonderful ^^

I've done this for years. It's easy . There are also tons of books on magik with incense. I love it!

Paul Beyerl's book of herbs is my favorite one out there on the subject. It's perfect for finding herbs to use for incense recipes I love mixing my own incense.
    "Not all who wander are lost..."

My Livejournal
    My DeviantArt
    www.journeyweaver.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
    How many people on here practice incense magick? I do. What I do is I find an incense that matches the needs that I want based on their magickal properties and then I burn it with a blessing from the God and Goddess. To me, it is a kind of simple spell that I can cast.
    By putting the focus on the incense itself, you are valuing the tool over the craftsman. Certain incenses are conducive to certain states of mind. Saffron zonks me out pretty quickly, but that's about all incense can do. The intent and the focus and all of the things that make a spell "work" are inherent in the person themselves.

I guess this seems pretty obvious, and it borders on the inane posts left that suggest we should all throw away our tools "cause hey, the magicks in us!" But I really wanted to point out that when mixing recipes, what you should be looking for is the shifts in your own consciousness, rather than supposed inherent properties of the herbs used in burning it. This stands in stark contrast to the idea that simply burning incense will purify the space or that the incense itself with bring money. I think this is asking a bit too much of some dried herbs.
    CJ - Paths: Shamanism Forum Guide

"Granny Weatherwax had never heard of psychiatry and would have had no truck with it even if she had. There are some arts too black even for a witch. [...] A psychiatrist, dealing with a man who fears he is being followed by a large and terrible monster, will endeavor to convince him that monsters don't exist. Granny Weatherwax would simply give him a chair to stand on and a very heavy stick."
    -Terry Pratchett

I do. In fact I slightly prefer it to candle magic, and frequently get better results from it.

Usually, when the incense itself is the spell, I use a magical incense formula -- many places like www.luckymojo.com and www.indioproducts.com sell them. I pick whatever is suitable to my intent, and then I write up a wish paper, and if I can I dress the corners of it with a matching condition oil (so if I were burning Wealthy Way incense I'd anoint the corners of the paper with Wealthy Way oil.) Then I set my burner on the paper and burn the incense while saying my prayers/intents.

I also use incense as an element in most of my candle spells as it improves the results, I find, but in those cases I often just choose a stick incense with related properties to the spell.

As previously stated, it can be used to "smudge" an area to cleanse it (particularly with sage). But in my background it's mainly used as an offering to the gods.
    Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ
    http://helleneste.wordpress.com/
    http://www.hellenion.org

I begin to sing of Pallas Athene, the glorious goddess, bright-eyed, inventive, unbending of heart, pure virgin, saviour of cities, courageous, Tritogeneia. From his awful head wise Zeus himself bare her arrayed in warlike arms of flashing gold, and awe seized all the gods as they gazed. But Athena sprang quickly from the immortal head and stood before Zeus who holds the aegis, shaking a sharp spear: great Olympus began to reel horribly at the might of the bright-eyed goddess, and earth round about cried fearfully, and the sea was moved and tossed with dark waves, while foam burst forth suddenly: the bright Son of Hyperion stopped his swift-footed horses a long while, until the maiden Pallas Athene had stripped the heavenly armour from her immortal shoulders. And wise Zeus was glad. And so hail to you, daughter of Zeus who holds the aegis!
    - THE HOMERIC HYMNS - XXVIII. TO ATHENA

This is a nice uncomplicated way to direct energy. I am a newbie Green/Kitchen solitary witch, ex Catholic. I am finding it hard to follow a spell to the 'T', especially growing up going to mass, being taught how to pray, etc. I'm finding it a slow process to transition into weaving my own religion fabric.

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered some incense, too! (Sorry for the novel.)

Jen

Yes, I do this as well.

But more often I use them in my rituals to make it more effective.

But I do have some examples that I did, I did sleep ones, protection ones, and I just burned sandalwood for anything that was bothering me.

Cause it's my favorite

it was wat i did first

my first ever spell was an incence spell 4 clensing. incence as a air and fire elemental spell, it is great 4 sending messages, clensing, clearing the sight 4 a scrying spell, clensing the other senses ect its quite a braud area

A real man acknowledges, admits, takes responsibility for and rectifies his mistakes.

You only know Remorse, when you've lost everything.

The sky is filled with light - can you see it? All the dark is really white - if you believe it

a teardrop is insignificant in a pool of water, but it can touch the soul as it runs down someones face

Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug
    How many people on here practice incense magick? I do. What I do is I find an incense that matches the needs that I want based on their magickal properties and then I burn it with a blessing from the God and Goddess. To me, it is a kind of simple spell that I can cast.
    I practice this type of magic as well, but I make my own incense blends or I simply collect flammable ingredients that match the nature of my intended working and then burn them on some charcoal. I also make more general incenses for offerings, for ritual & spellwork, and for cleansing / creating sacred space. When you do your own custom blends you can ensure the ingredients don't contain chemicals, and that each ingredient suits the intentions - also you can make them smell good. My own blends are always a mixture of organic and wild harvested plants and resins. Sometimes a corresponding commercial joss sticks just smell awful - I have one type of Tibetan offering joss sticks I can only use outside because of the smell. Pee ew!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast