Thread: Pompeii and Herculium body shells.....

Pompeii and Herculium body shells.....

As I read over the thread on Mummies I though about the plaster casts of the victims of the eruptions of Mt Vesuvius. It made me wonder that if the body was totaly destroyed but a plaster shell of the body space remained could the spirit inhabit the casting?

Die hard horror fans may recall a Mummy type movie about a mummy formed from the ashes of the eruption. Like all the others it meets its demise but in this one the mummy walks into the ocean and is disloved

Pompeii and Herculaneum have aways held a fascination and draw to me (the 79 AD eruption). I've never thought of that though-- that the spirits could inhabit the plaster shells! I have no idea, really. I guess if a spirit could attach itself to inanimate objects, it's possible they could attach themselves to the plaster casts.

The death with those two places was pretty quick, though...once the pyroclastic flow, ash and heat were on them, they were burned and some vaporized in a matter of seconds or minutes. I wonder if the spirit/soul would even have any idea what was happening? And if not, would they hang around?

Interesting question, though
    Last edited by Agaliha; May 8th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.

I've heard that with instantaneous deaths, that the soul of the person is less likely to realize that they're dead, and still go on about their daily habits as if they were still alive. I'd say that it is fully possible that there are ghosts in Pompeii and Herculaneum going about their daily activities as if they were still alive in 79 CE.
    , , ,

Don't let this little dragon die!

My Cousins eggs

Myspace

You know I can't think of any legend or lore that I've heard of that speaks of ghost in those area's. I wonder if the impending sense of doom and realization of the eruption would make it unlikey they would die unaware of death?

I know the eruption went for a period of weeks before the final event and that many sooth sayers came to the area to determine the safety of the volcano.

is offline Remember... Pillage First, Then Burn
    Very interesting question. I was wondering though if the city had been completely buried would they still haunt it. I was under the impression and I could be wrong that pompeii was completely buried by the blast.

Someone mentioned sooth sayers, do you know what they. I think it would be interesting to know. I mean if they told the population that it was safe the the blast that killed everyone would have been a complete suprise and then very possibly they would not know they died and are to this day continuing their lives as they did then.
    LunaTala

"To see with ones own eyes, to feel and judge without succumbing to the suggestive power of the fashion of the day, to be able to express what one has seen and felt in a trim sentence or even in a cunning wrought word.....is that not glorious?" -- Albert Einstein

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny.
    Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

BOO You've been ghosted
    urlwww.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=170887url

What I have been told and seen referenced was that they read the entrails of birds and other such things that said the volcano was safe and would not blow.

Both cities where buried under quit a bit of ash and it was hundreds of years before they where found again. If I recall correctly both cities where wiped out and only rumors existed of thier locaton for years before grave robbers tunneled into the cities and looted them of valuables. A farmer unearthed a statue was what started them digging down, he was digging for a well if I recall correctly.

The excavations didn't realize they where dealing with body casts unitl they decided to fill one with plaster then discovered they where human shells though the shells where filled with bones.

The number of bodies found in the streets and such make me believe they where running and well aware of what was happening.

is offline Remember... Pillage First, Then Burn
    I guess then if they saw it coming and it was buried, my opinon would be that the souls would not haunt that area. But I bet that memory that the land holds gives off a tremendous energy itself.
    LunaTala

"To see with ones own eyes, to feel and judge without succumbing to the suggestive power of the fashion of the day, to be able to express what one has seen and felt in a trim sentence or even in a cunning wrought word.....is that not glorious?" -- Albert Einstein

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny.
    Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

BOO You've been ghosted
    urlwww.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=170887url