Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Defining women's mysteries

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey

Defining women's mysteries

Hello,

Recently, an aspect of the Dianic and Goddess traditions has forced me to confront my own beliefs into what I believe Women's mysteries are.

What do you believe women's mysteries are? We hear it talked about and revered but how do we define it?
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Maybe this is the point of the thread, but what do you mean by "women's mysteries"?

Like... are we talking about the baby-making, monthly-bleeding properties we happen to have here? Boobies?

Or are we going super-spiritual and talking about baby-making "mothers of all" kind of deal?
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    Maybe this is the point of the thread, but what do you mean by "women's mysteries"?
    Its the point of the thread. How do we define "women's mysteries"? Is it spiritual, physical, emotional, etc.?
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Oh, okay. I would say that it's purely emotional, MAYBE spiritual.

Well... I guess you could say that women have these great mysteries, about giving birth and all that. But if you look at the science of it, it's not really any more mysterious than how sperm is created or how the sun produces heat.

Then again, I don't ascribe the creation of life to the mother. I ascribe that part to God... the mother is the one who carries that life, which is indeed a beautiful thing, but I don't see her as having some mysterious magickeal abilities beyond that of other humans.

Reproduction, menstrual cycles, puberty, these are all very clearly understood things scientifically. I don't see the grand mystery in them. I mean... there's no mystery anymore. We KNOW how these things work.

I guess I'm not a romantic about it.

Reproduction and fertility are really not actually understood that well scientifically. And motherhood certainly is not, even in terms of how hormones, pregnancy, and the labour process work.

Yours truly,
    Someone who had four miscarriages and did intense research on the subject
    Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Reproduction is understood well enough that nobody has to wonder how/where babies come about. Sperm fertilizing the egg... gestation... etc.

I understand that sometimes they don't understand why a woman miscarries, but nobody wonders just what exactly causes pregnancy anymore (other than the obvious observation of intercourse), nor is it a mystery how the baby develops. Compared with many things, we know a great deal about fertilization and gestation.

All I'm saying is that it's not a grand mystery anymore.

I'm quite sure that fertilization, gestation, and birth are spiritual processes, but there's nothing mysterious about it.

Embarrassed

This thread seems to be a bit off track. I believe the original question was how do we define women's mysteries? It's a very personal question that warrants a personal answer. I believe it calls for information and discussion about how we view them and what they mean to us--not a debate over what is and is not a mystery.

There seems to be a disagreement on what "mystery" means. In my opinion, a spiritual mystery is not something we don't understand, but something we understand through divine revelation or personal gnosis.

So, reproduction and fertility issues are mysteries in terms of the deep, mystical hows and whys of it--not through the science of it.

I can give an example that jumps to mind, but to be honest, this is not something I'm comfortable talking about in a public forum--especially considering the direction this thread has already taken.

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

P.S. One point of this discussion might be how women's mysteries have changed through history--or maybe that should be another thread

"The Triple Goddess as Maiden, Mother and Crone, is a relatively new concept which was made popular during the 20th century. Hekate is today most often equated to the Crone aspect of this triplicate archetypal image, but this idea of Hekate as Crone Goddess is one which would have been completely alien to the people of ancient Greece. The only possible explanation for the continued association today is that somehow the darker, scarier aspects of Hekate has been equated to wisdom in old age, which is, when you think about it rather ludicrous." -- Sorita D'Este. Read more in the book: Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Hello,

Recently, an aspect of the Dianic and Goddess traditions has forced me to confront my own beliefs into what I believe Women's mysteries are.

What do you believe women's mysteries are? We hear it talked about and revered but how do we define it?
    There is the physical side, our bodies and what affects them. There is the spiritual side, rites, rituals, and practices that can only be done by women, because they are based in our physical differences and are times with our life cycle.
    Brought to you by the
    National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
    Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
    Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
    You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
    It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
    I am aware of how nasty I come across.
    If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
    I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Its the point of the thread. How do we define "women's mysteries"? Is it spiritual, physical, emotional, etc.?
    For me a big part of the mysteries are knowing myself. This is true for many traditions, I know. But I am a womyn and as a solitary I have no general mystery tradition to be subsumed by. This leads me to a second part of my mysteries, my relationship with the All. How do I live within the context of what is around me and in my life? Another part is truly understanding that everyone is holy, including myself.

I struggle with all of these, they are not easy but all the holy people have always said they are simple.

So, yes, the mysteries for me are spiritual, physical and emotional. They are about the fabric and context in which I live.
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
    --Bill Watterson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast