Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The big difference between Paganism and Christianity?

The big difference between Paganism and Christianity?

Yesterday I was walking through my hometown 'Bedford' when I came across an interesting display. I am naturally inquisitive, so walked over to investigate. I was immediately pounced upon by a man I recognised from a Christian Bible Bashing event I had stupidly attended (As a rather too-proud Pagan!)

Immediately he launched into the ever so familiar, 'why we should all turn to God?' I admit I was interested and was not scared to tell him my Pagan views.

He seemed to drone on and on and on about why I was believing in a fake God, whereas his was the true God, how he knows this I really do not know???

As he talked I began to realise why we differ so much? I, like him do not dispute that small chunks of the Bible may be true and do agree with some Christian ethics.

However......................

Whilst he believes that God created us and remains seperate from our Universe, I believe that God/Goddess did create us, but embedded themselves in the Earth; Supporting the Pagan view that the whole Earth is sacred and represents God!

Any views on this???

)0(My Darling Toynie)0(
    May the Goddess love and protect you and may all nature respect your glorious beauty.
    Your branches extend over fields of green grasses, spreading peace, happiness and love.
    You are in my thoughts always dear Atoinjya, you are my best friend.

With special mention to
    Lai-Elya
    Terraynia
    Caralanya
    Julya
    Most beloved of trees

Panentheism, basically, you mean?

I don't think it's totally impossible to relate that to Christianity, i don't think. I think it was only when Christian dogma began to be put in place, starting with Paul and reinforced by people like Constantine and Augustine, that the idea of God as something completley remote who was disgusted with the material world came to be the accepted wisdom. There are even some who've suggested the idea that that might have been what Jesus thought as well, that God is "here" and "there" at the same time, and the "Kingdom of God" didn't mean just something vague to hope for in the afterlife, but that he/she/he & she could be found by looking around us, if we knew what we were looking for.

So basically, i think, no, I don't think it's at all impossible.
    ~ Light up, light up, ~
    ~ As if you have a choice ~
    ~ Even if you cannot hear my voice, ~
    ~ I'll be right beside you dear. ~

^ Thanks to GEBS for my little friend here ^

:

is offline Just another brick in the wall
    I had similar thing but with Mormons. I just told them that I have a different outlook and a different way of going about. But I found it fun. They are a bit gullible so I like to play on that sometimes.
    Date a Brit, they need the attention.

Mary had a little lamb
    Court case Tuesday

The one steady characteristic that remains obvious as the difference between Christians and Pagans is tolerance.

"the one true god" smacks of snobbery in my opinion. How can anyone be so vain or narrowminded to believe that his god is the "only right" god or the "one true path" toward heaven. Which begs the next question...is there a heaven?

Some maintain that where we are now is hell and it is up to us in our daily living to find our way toward a better place through good deeds, etc. Once done, we're then lead to our reward, heaven.

The bible thumpers annoy me with their "holier than thou" preachiness. I'm no scholar and know nothing by heart from what is said in the bible or what was done in ancient times except other ancient civilizations(Toltec, Aztec, Mayan etc.), so I won't even try to recite verbatim anything that speaks of pagans being right or christians being right. There must be something to the stories that are written. Someone had enough faith and belief in his heart to write what he/she did and had it placed in the bible. Some stories were never included, though, so it's not a complete biblical history. Several were left out, mainly due to the choices made by the Council of Nicea(sp?). So what do we not know because of these omissions? There may have been something truly earth-shaking, faith shattering within those lost tales.

I do not believe Jesus was anything other than a mortal man who had a strong faith in some higher power and was able to convince others of this higher power through his words. He was a great orator, no doubt. This being said, I also feel that he was the typical man of his time and culture, had a wife and perhaps even offspring. There is something magical in having children that nothing else on earth compares to. No where else can anything microscopic become something that influences the earth around us as we know it in less than a year's time.

There is something magical in the growth of the trees, plants, the bloom of a flower, the truth in the fragility as well as strength of the tiny hummingbird, the nobility of such creatures as eagles, whales or bison, the steadfastness of the mountains, oceans and rivers. We are nothing compared to these natural things and they will exist long after we cease to do so.

There is a greater strength in everything, we just don't always acknowledge it as we should or as often as we should. We are a tolerant group who will always have a difficult time agreeing with those who feel they are superior in their faith, but with those very words, they belittle themselves in hopes of greater dominion over others, much like a cult. We can truly rejoice in our pagan life style! Ours is one of joy in fellow man and the world around us is appreciative for our gentle touch.

*gets down off her soap box*

Quote Originally Posted by dynamic_solstice View Post
    He seemed to drone on and on and on about why I was believing in a fake God, whereas his was the true God, how he knows this I really do not know???
    Because the Bible says so, and if the Bible says so, it MUST be true!

Don't worry, that was sarcasm.

If you smellllllllllllllllllalala
    what BARACK is COOKIN'!

"There are as many Paths to the Great Spirit as there are people on the Earth." -- Raven Grimassi, Hereditary Witchcraft

Avatar is a painting of Rhiannon by Hrana Janto that appears in The Goddess Oracle. Used with permission. To view Hrana's artwork, visit www.hranajanto.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug1258 View Post
    The one steady characteristic that remains obvious as the difference between Christians and Pagans is tolerance.
    Eh... yes and no. While I think Pagans are more likely to be tolerant, it isn't always the case. And speaking for myself, I can actually be quite intolerant when it comes to Pagans clinging to erroneous facts. Not intolerant in a mean, nasty way - I just am not afraid to have a debate. It's how you can grow and evolve spiritually.

~Melanie

I'm not much of a Christian scholar, I've never read the entire Bible so I am making this disclaimer as someone fairly ignorant of Christian beliefs..
    But the biggest difference I'm aware of is the intrinsic nature of life. Christianity supposes that humans are sinful by nature, that we are born with a horrible taint that we can't get rid of, and we need to spend our life making up for sin. Most pagan religions (that I know of, at least) don't believe we are born inherently bad or evil and have no conception of original sin. That is the big difference. And it may not seem like much, but it is. The entire religion is formed around dealing with this original sin.
    Parallax Error

A shift in point of view.

The biggest difference I've noticed?

Pagans generally don't worship Jesus.

(In fact, most Pagans I've encountered like to treat Jesus as though he's just as false a god as the pagan gods are to a fundamentalist. Not very tolerant, if you ask me.)
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

beyond the point already made about tolerence... for me the crucial difference is the balance in my practice between the male and female creative principle....

I don't like to see my princple pooo poooed.
    Mitakuye Oyasin

There are a couple of differences;
    Pagans do not believe in a Judgement day. There may be Karma or cause and effect following our actions but no big courthouse in the sky when you die.
    Pagans do not believe in eternal damnation; You have to face the consequences of your actions but you don't get locked up in hell for eternity.
    Pagans do not believe in a god of evil; There is no Satan capable of horrors and the things movies are made out of. There may be those who follow a path of chaos and those who see destruction and decay as part of life. But evil in the christian sense of the word is not part of the pagan path.
    Pagans do not view god in a purely masculine form; pagans frequently see and honor the goddess.
    Personal View; If my God were to appear before me, we would greet each other as friends. If jesus were real and he came back to earth, the christians would crucify him all over again.
    Love is everywhere, I see it.
    You are all that you can be, go on and be it.
    Life is perfect, I believe it.
    Come play the game with me.
    (John Denver)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast