Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Writing your own mythology?

Writing your own mythology?

Has anyone attempted or succeeded in writing their own myths or adaption of common myths and/or the archetypal themes within them?

I've been thinking of trying this again. I had some stuff I did in the past, but lost the text I was working on a little something about the seasons, then.

Also, related, has anyone thought of writing new myths about their gods, maybe based off personal gnosis, interactions and whatnot?

ETA: There's an site, with a category for mythology where many people are doing just that. I'm more curious about those that do it for spiritual reasons, though.

Just curious!
    Last edited by Agaliha; July 29th, 2008 at 10:35 PM.

I'm written my own adaptation of the Wiccan mythological cycle, i.e the mythic events traced by the Wheel of the Year. While not classical mythology of course, it is the primary myth of my religion, so I guess that counts writing one's own adaptation of a myth.

Its a great question and yes I have attempted at times.

I'm trying right now to best answer your question and describe what goes through my head when I've attempted to do this. See, as a kind of tribute or perhaps memory exercise... I've seriously sat down and designed a somewhat mythical universe based around the structures of the workplaces I've been in.

For example, I've always worked in very structured, closed off environments with a hiararchy and landscape (whether it was a department store or an office.)

When I first started working at Walmart when I was a mere lad, based on the functions of different people in the store, it was easy to sit down and design a cosmos around the store's departments... and create a pantheon based on certain characters working with me. Inspired by, not exactly the same... as my coworkers.

I remember that I designed a God based on my personality and becasue I worked in fashion and all the clothing racks could look like trees in some ways... I made myself and the four or five others forest Gods. There were ofcourse all the cashiers who I recreated to be Heavenly nymphs of wealth (see, cashiers take money and give it to the Managers.) and ofcourse the four or five Managers and assistant managers were the Highest Gods in the pantheon. Then, after studying a bit of world mythology... I decided that the enemies of these Gods of walmart would be shoplifters...who would sporadically come into the Universe to steal and cause mayhem...but be finally destroyed by the Managers.

It was all really very much an exercise in creative imagination.

But I came to realize that if you take any group... and their dynamics.. one could easily create a mythology out of it.

Even among my group of friends right now, I could easily take our interactions and create a mythology around it.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

I got frustrated with Wheel of the Year myths that involved the Sun "going away from" the Earth and tried to rewrite it based on the Earth orbiting the Sun. Except that after I finished it, I smacked my forehead and said, "But the Earth's tilt creates the seasonal patterns, not its orbit!" And then nothing I'd written made sense.

So, yes. I am a failed mythologist.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

I tend to write my own versions of Aesop's fables. I've developed one for Crow, and one for Sheep, and am currently working on one for Bear.

They aren't Aesop's fables in the sense that I'm just "updating" the old myths, it's my own mythological-style stories using animals to explain things to humans.

I'm basically trying to think of questions I asked as a child and didn't get a satisfactory answer to; Why do people die? Why do we sleep? etc

At least, if nothing else, this way I have a ready answer when my kids ask me these things!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Windsmith View Post
    I got frustrated with Wheel of the Year myths that involved the Sun "going away from" the Earth and tried to rewrite it based on the Earth orbiting the Sun. Except that after I finished it, I smacked my forehead and said, "But the Earth's tilt creates the seasonal patterns, not its orbit!" And then nothing I'd written made sense.

So, yes. I am a failed mythologist.
    Yet, you're good at plenty of other things .

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLili View Post
    I tend to write my own versions of Aesop's fables. I've developed one for Crow, and one for Sheep, and am currently working on one for Bear.

They aren't Aesop's fables in the sense that I'm just "updating" the old myths, it's my own mythological-style stories using animals to explain things to humans.

I'm basically trying to think of questions I asked as a child and didn't get a satisfactory answer to; Why do people die? Why do we sleep? etc

At least, if nothing else, this way I have a ready answer when my kids ask me these things!
    Those sound pretty cool, and, I'm sure it'll help with your kids, it also explained something new to me too, as I hadn't heard of Aesop's fables before.

When it comes to writing mythologies for my novels yes I have ( or I am in the process of) , but when it comes to my actual spiritual path I would have to say no..

It was all really very much an exercise in creative imagination.

But I came to realize that if you take any group... and their dynamics.. one could easily create a mythology out of it.

Even among my group of friends right now, I could easily take our interactions and create a mythology around it.
    I now feel so challenged :D Hmm wonder if we could get something going in the P&L forum?
    Last edited by SilverClaw; August 2nd, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLili View Post

I think that is awesome :D

On the subject, quite recently I have been writing an elaborate combined mythology based on the various core Wiccan myths floating around. I've combined the story of the cycle of the seasons, i.e. the main events of the Sabbats, with a simplified version of the Descent of the Goddess tale (e.g., it acts as an interquel between when The God dies on Samhain and when he is reborn at Yule), as well an ad-hoc genesis tale involving The All spontaneously forming and then creating the Goddess and God, in addition to a few minor myths, like the Holly/Oak King dichotomy.

It's turning out to be very interesting. ^^

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast