Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Writing your own mythology?

Quote Originally Posted by Windsmith View Post
    I got frustrated with Wheel of the Year myths that involved the Sun "going away from" the Earth and tried to rewrite it based on the Earth orbiting the Sun. Except that after I finished it, I smacked my forehead and said, "But the Earth's tilt creates the seasonal patterns, not its orbit!" And then nothing I'd written made sense.

So, yes. I am a failed mythologist.
    But the Earth 'goes away' from the Sun by means of its tilt, neh?

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    On the subject, quite recently I have been writing an elaborate combined mythology based on the various core Wiccan myths floating around. I've combined the story of the cycle of the seasons, i.e. the main events of the Sabbats, with a simplified version of the Descent of the Goddess tale (e.g., it acts as an interquel between when The God dies on Samhain and when he is reborn at Yule), as well an ad-hoc genesis tale involving The All spontaneously forming and then creating the Goddess and God, in addition to a few minor myths, like the Holly/Oak King dichotomy.

It's turning out to be very interesting. ^^
    I've done that! And enjoyed it a lot. It's very tricky to make it work out consistently and without logic flaws, though.

As well, I've 're-written'... well, actually re-interpreted is a better word... some classic children's 'fairy' tales:
    http://www.crowjudith.com/category/fairy-tales/
    *I am a mystic and work through Imbas rather than re-constructive archeology. Lore, history, and research are vital tools and permit us to validate and amplify communications we recieve. Disagreement and referencing of materials are also welcome benchmarks. What I say is not the 'Truth' but only my perception/opinion/belief and I am happy to give the same consideration to everyone else's point of view.*

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

"everyone [is] entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." Stephen Colbert

Yeah. Logical consistency is a bitch when writing it. That's why I simplified it, to keep heavy details out so they don't garble it. I figured out a way to solve the icky situation of the god and goddess being a hyper-incestuous couple, though... in the myth version I wrote, she bathes in a magical spring, like Hera in Greek myth, which restores her virginity, youth, and maidenhood. So she becomes like a different person, so it's not necessarily the God banging his own mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    I figured out a way to solve the icky situation of the god and goddess being a hyper-incestuous couple, though... in the myth version I wrote, she bathes in a magical spring, like Hera in Greek myth, which restores her virginity, youth, and maidenhood. So she becomes like a different person, so it's not necessarily the God banging his own mom.
    I think of the Winter Hag as the Cailleach Beara.
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/268026
    She becomes a stone at Samhain and then 'thaws' as a young, beautiful woman (perhaps Bride, the old personification of Bridget), which is basically the same as your bathing transformation.

Where do you put in the gestating and baby-having? I have a problem with the before She bathes/melts She's old, and after She's virginal loop. What do you do about this?
    *I am a mystic and work through Imbas rather than re-constructive archeology. Lore, history, and research are vital tools and permit us to validate and amplify communications we recieve. Disagreement and referencing of materials are also welcome benchmarks. What I say is not the 'Truth' but only my perception/opinion/belief and I am happy to give the same consideration to everyone else's point of view.*

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

"everyone [is] entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." Stephen Colbert

Well, for the spring turning her into a virgin again, I don't give a whole lot of detail. I just state simply that it does. It's a myth, after all, not a literal depiction, so it doesn't have to be 100% logical. I try to be around 75-80%.

And as for the periodisation where she's pregnant, I have that the God and Goddess' relationship is consummated on Beltaine, which is conveniently about nine months before Yule. As far as I'm aware, that's actually fairly conventional.

Quote Originally Posted by skilly-nilly View Post
    But the Earth 'goes away' from the Sun by means of its tilt, neh?
    Quite true! But in the context of what I'd actually written, that just didn't cut it. Le sigh.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

My friend, Max, and I have been thinking about writing our own version of the Iliad.....twisting it around a bit to be more humorous. xP
    “You know you only delayed the inevitable,” Quenthel said as Pharaun and Q'arlynd returned. “We're wasting time, here. We have to get out of the city.”
    “I know,” the Master of Sorcere replied, “but it was fun.”

I've kinda messed with this in the past -- mostly putting a pagan twist on historical myths. Libertas as the mother of America named as such by argueing that humans were capable of self rule, and Iove basicly telling her to put her money where her mouth is. Thus she and her consort Mithras found America as an experiment in human self-rule. The dust bowl and depression were punishment for indian removal and contract breaking (Mithras is really down on that).

I want to try to do the same with Louis and Clark, and maybe space exploration (who knows what lies in space).

I've toyed with the myths of the Sybil who was cursed to live forever by Apollo but continue aging. Hera (who wasn't much pleased about Apollo's birth to start with) hears of it and changes the blessing turned curse yet again (she's unable to break it, but can change it), and Sybil becomes a kind of archetype for the notion of reincarnation.

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it!"
    Arthur Dent Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Mass hysteria and mass complacency are flip sides of the same coin. Never panic, always think for yourself. Question all information, even from those individuals and sources you hold most cherished, for in those instances, complacency and hysteria alike become all too easy. All information either comes from humans or is filtered through the human mind (our own or another's) and thus subject to human faults no matter if it comes from a scientist or a messiah. Question it. And constantly question yourself.

Neither ravens nor wolves like to be gilt in silver.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Iulia Regilia View Post
    I've kinda messed with this in the past -- mostly putting a pagan twist on historical myths. Libertas as the mother of America named as such by argueing that humans were capable of self rule, and Iove basicly telling her to put her money where her mouth is. Thus she and her consort Mithras found America as an experiment in human self-rule. The dust bowl and depression were punishment for indian removal and contract breaking (Mithras is really down on that).

I want to try to do the same with Louis and Clark, and maybe space exploration (who knows what lies in space).
    That actually sounds quite cool, if you ever put it down in writing, I'd definitely love to read it .

At one point I wanted to connect the greek and babylonian pantheons by adapting the enuma elish at the beginning. The way I was going to do it was by fusing Tiamat with Thalassa, and Pontus with Apsu. Partly because I liked some of the greek beliefs and philosophies. Then I decided not to.
    ......with liberty and justice for all;
    For all means for all without exceptions!

What is more valuable than liberty? Nothing, not even my own life. As without liberty, is life really worth living?

"those who would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, deserve neither, and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

"Don't Tread on Me" - Forgot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast