Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty meditating due to bi-polar

Difficulty meditating due to bi-polar

Greetings. I'm bi-polar and have a hard time focusing my brain for any length of time because of the constant stream of thoughts flittering about my noggin. Does anyone have any ideas for things I could do to remedy the problem?

TIA
    ) O ( Blessed Be ) O (

Aura Moon Star

I know your new but our meditation forum has alot of ideas and helpful hints.. also easier meditations that may work well for you ...so take a look ...there is quite a few good suggestions

Being powerful is like being a lady If you have to tell people you are, you aren't

Advanced Paganism, Meditation
    and Books Forum Guide
    and also a writer for MW Magazine

Serenity is not freedom from the storm..it is peace during the storm

:fpraise: many thanks to Patriciaj for great banner

Its your life..live it as you like

myspace.com/Mydnitejazmine

my covens site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaic_silvermoon/

Thanks, Astara!

Aura
    ) O ( Blessed Be ) O (

Aura Moon Star

You could try certain oils and incense to burn to help you relax and quiet the mind while meditating, and also look into the use of crystals as these can be great for relaxation and general mind chill lol (just make sure you research the different crystals first as some can be quite lively and they will do the opposite of what you want them to do)
    ~Free Your Mind~

)O( Blessings One & All )O(

***Knowledge really is Power***- Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

***Magic, madam, is like wine and, if you are not used to it, it will make you drunk*** - Susanna Clarke The Ladies of Grace Adieu

***Magick Works in Mysterious Ways*** - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Moon Star View Post
    Greetings. I'm bi-polar and have a hard time focusing my brain for any length of time because of the constant stream of thoughts flittering about my noggin. Does anyone have any ideas for things I could do to remedy the problem?

TIA
    Your problem isn't unique to people with bipolar - it's part of being human. The buddhists call it "monkey brain," because you're just swinging from one thought to another, to another in rapid succession. Meditation is one of the best things you can do for yourself and is actually very good therapy for people with bipolar.

You just have to keep bringing yourself back to the object of meditation, gently and persistently and patiently, and with great compassion toward yourself. Try setting your timer for only 5 minutes and meditating on the breath and counting your breath as you meditate. Each time you catch yourself following a thought, just bring yourself back to the breath and start counting again. You may only get 1-2 breaths in and then have to start over - again and again and again. When your time is up, congratulate yourself for being persistent. Don't grade yourself on how long you were able to maintain attention.

Don't beat yourself up. It could take months before you feel ready to meditate for more than 5 minutes at a time. It's great training for the brain and, if you stick with it, it will pay off big time in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by tellmethetruth View Post
    Your problem isn't unique to people with bipolar - it's part of being human. The buddhists call it "monkey brain," because you're just swinging from one thought to another, to another in rapid succession. Meditation is one of the best things you can do for yourself and is actually very good therapy for people with bipolar.

You just have to keep bringing yourself back to the object of meditation, gently and persistently and patiently, and with great compassion toward yourself. Try setting your timer for only 5 minutes and meditating on the breath and counting your breath as you meditate. Each time you catch yourself following a thought, just bring yourself back to the breath and start counting again. You may only get 1-2 breaths in and then have to start over - again and again and again. When your time is up, congratulate yourself for being persistent. Don't grade yourself on how long you were able to maintain attention.

Don't beat yourself up. It could take months before you feel ready to meditate for more than 5 minutes at a time. It's great training for the brain and, if you stick with it, it will pay off big time in the long run.
    my mother suffers from the same issue alongside PTSD and borderline personality disorder, when her doctors reccomended meditation for her they say pretty much the same thing so i think this is a good course of action. also try to use something else in conjunction with the meditation like sounds ( nature-y sounds are my best recomendation. for me and my mom we have CD's of nothing but the sound of thunder and rain storms.) or aroma therapy. sometimes when the mind has more to process it is easier to follow the suggezstions being fed into it and relax, according to my mother's doctor anyway.
    *Amethyste Rayne *

Please feed my valenths?!
    (just click on them.)

"Love is the irresistable desire to be irresistably desired" - Robert Frost

I have been by:
    Wolfscout1 and Astara Seague

instead of fighting it, go along with it

in ancient times, bi-polar people would have been rather seen as gifted, than sick. theyr incoming messages would be looked after not treated.

listen, watch, witness

Have you tried meditating ON the constant stream of thoughts? I know it sounds crazy, but try it. Instead of fighting the thoughts and blocking them or making them go away, greet each one. Say, "Hello, you're a thought! Welcome to my head. Please go enjoy yourself over by the pool, I'm expecting more guests." Then let that thought go its merry way, and get ready to greet the next one.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

I also have bipolar disorder and am prone to racing thoughts, which can make meditation difficult. Two bits of advice...

1) It does take practice. Try meditating for short lengths of time (even set an alarm for 10 minutes or however long if you feel the need) to start and gradually increase them. I found that the more I meditate, the easier it becomes to slow my mind. Sometimes it still takes me 10+ minutes to get into "meditation mode" but eventually my thoughts do slow down.

2) I agree with those who have said "just go with the thoughts." Sometimes I find this is a form of meditation in itself.

Another thing I've been trying that kind of goes hand-in-hand with #2 is firstly, saying a prayer to whatever god(s)/goddess(es) you pray to. I haven't actually discovered mine yet (hence the meditation!) so I say something like, "Lord and Lady, please reveal your messages to me..." Then I try to focus on meditating on something specific. For me, this has been figuring out which deities are calling to me and which path is right for me at this point in my life. So I'll start by thinking about different paths that interest me and I just let the thoughts go...What emotions does each make me feel when I think about it? What colors, images, words, etc. come to mind? I think this method could be used for just about anything though; adapt it to your needs! I hope that made sense...it's 5 in the morning here and I'm a little groggy, lol.

Hope this helps!

I have found guided meditations help me out a lot. If you cant find one on CD/MP3 you like, make one yourself. Write the meditation down and read it into a recording device or even your computer. Then you can play it back for yourself. Or have a friend read it for you.

This would be just to get you started, then eventually after "getting the hang of it" move on to unguided.

Also the thing to remember with focusing on your breath is not to belittle yourself or feel bad at all for not being able to maintain the focus. You are not the only one who can only count 2 breaths before having to refocus your mind. I have to constantly remind myself not to feel bad about it. If your mind wanders, acknowledge it and bring yourself back to your breath. Its ok it does get easier with LOTS of pratice. But then major legue baseball players started somewhere too. But with years of practice became all stars. :D They grew slowly over time, just as you will with patients and practice.

I have also found the random images and thoughts to be fun to work with instead of against sometimes as well. Some of my best visions have come from the randomness of my mind. Remember to keep a journal by you and when you are done write down all you saw in every detail you can, even if it means nothing to you now. Then you can go back after a while and see what things your inner mind was telling you and how to better listen to it for better results later. Learning what signs mean to you from your own mind can go a long way to "reading" them. The God and Goddess talk to us through our meditations. Learn their language and you can go a long way to understanding what they have to tell you.

I didnt mean to write a book... really I didnt.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast