Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 101 Atheist Quotes

And so to those of you who may be vitalists I would make this prophecy: what everyone believed yesterday, and you believe today, only cranks will believe tomorrow.

* Francis Crick (1967)

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

This one is dedicated to... well I'm sure they'll know

The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

* Albert Einstein, Gutkind Letter (3 January 1954)

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    This one is dedicated to... well I'm sure they'll know

The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

* Albert Einstein, Gutkind Letter (3 January 1954)
    Just another intellectual being snarky about religion.

Curious, IG. Do you ever slip and say "Oh My God" or "Thank God" or "God damn"?
    Last edited by Cunae; September 7th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.

To be fair: A few of those quotes were by non-Atheists...

Examples: James Madison was a Deist, though obviously with some strong anti-organized religion feelings, and Epicurus was kind of a "Poly-Deist," in that he believed in the Greek Gods, but believed that they did not interfere in human affairs.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Christian View Post
    Do you ever slip and say "Oh My God" or "Thank God" or "God damn"?

I know it wasn't directed at me...but ever since the new Battlestar Galactica came out, I've been saying, "Gods-dammit!" (They say that on that show...)

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Imagine that an intellectual being snarky about a primitive concept.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Curious, IG. Do you ever slip and say "Oh My God" or "Thank God" or "God damn"?
    And if I yes to using common vernaculars you'll imply in means something? Perhaps you should actually pay attention to those intellectuals, you might learn something

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    To be fair: A few of those quotes were by non-Atheists...

Examples: James Madison was a Deist, though obviously with some strong anti-organized religion feelings, and Epicurus was kind of a "Poly-Deist," in that he believed in the Greek Gods, but believed that they did not interfere in human affairs.
    Albert Einstein did not class himself as a Atheist either.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

This is one of my favourite quotes in general:

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Although I'm not sure whether everyone would agree that it's an atheist quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Did he actually class himself as anything in particular? I've always wondered... a lot of people say he was a pantheist, and although some of the things he said sound very pantheist to me, I don't think he ever called himself one.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast