Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 101 Atheist Quotes

Ah, thanks

"I've never understood how God could expect his creatures to pick the one true religion by faith - it strikes me as a sloppy way to run a universe." ~ Jubal Harshaw

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

Albert Einstein
    Exactly, he's not an atheist.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Exactly, he's not an atheist.
    He isn't anything right now, he's dead.

Agnostics and deists are usually pretty much atheistic in a practical senses - you look at their philosophies, day to day decisions and general world perspective - the differences are negligible.

Personally I prefer non-theist as opposed to narrowing them down, as it is really just nick picking an insignificant difference in belief.
    • One doesn't believe.
    • One doesn't believe we can ever know one way or the other.
    • One believes a deity came, sparked the big bang and then buggered off.

It's like classifying people into different groups because one group likes their drinking water 13C, another likes theirs at 14C and another as 12C.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

And if I yes to using common vernaculars you'll imply in means something? Perhaps you should actually pay attention to those intellectuals, you might learn something

Belittling comments don't serve your efforts. Stick to pretending you are yourself an intellectual... someone might actually believe it one day!

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    He isn't anything right now, he's dead.

Agnostics and deists are usually pretty much atheistic in a practical senses - you look at their philosophies, day to day decisions and general world perspective - the differences are negligible.

Personally I prefer non-theist as opposed to narrowing them down, as it is really just nick picking an insignificant difference in belief.
    • One doesn't believe.
    • One doesn't believe we can ever know one way or the other.
    • One believes a deity came, sparked the big bang and then buggered off.

It's like classifying people into different groups because one group likes their drinking water 13C, another likes theirs at 14C and another as 12C.
    I rather like Dawkin's scale of belief (from 1-7). The differences may be negligible but, for an agnostic as myself, it's something that is important. Non-theist is good as an umbrella term but only if it remains as such and doesn't fall into the black/white paradigm.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Christian View Post
    Belittling comments don't serve your efforts. Stick to pretending you are yourself an intellectual... someone might actually believe it one day!
    Ha! When have I ever referred to myself as an intellectual? As Stephen Hawking once said "people who brag about their IQs are losers."

The point I was alluding to MC, is you were asking a loaded question based on fallacious logic. Many religious people, particularly creationists and evangelical Christians, try this little fallacy. "You say "Oh My God" or "Thank God" or "God damn"? Yes? See you do believe in god." or some variant of it. It's up there with this nifty proof for god "how many days in the week are there? 7? God created the world in 7 days, so that's why we have a 7 day week."

Both arguments are apexes of ignorance - not the worst, believe it or not, but damn close.

So you could take me advising you to actually listen to intellectuals of the past and present, people who of contributed to world, who are indirectly and directly responsible for all the modern conveniences you take for granted... as "Belittling comments" - but that doesn't reflect the true intention of my comment, just your paranoid need to have someone prosecute you.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    I rather like Dawkin's scale of belief (from 1-7). The differences may be negligible but, for an agnostic as myself, it's something that is important. Non-theist is good as an umbrella term but only if it remains as such and doesn't fall into the black/white paradigm.
    The label atheist and non-theist is kind of idiotic really - defining a group of people by what they do not believe or what they are not.

While I prefer non-theist - I would rather call myself a Materialist, a Rationalists and/or Humanists; if I must call myself anything. But I still find myself using Atheist, because that is what people know.

Ha! When have I ever referred to myself as an intellectual? As Stephen Hawking once said "people who brag about their IQs are losers."

The point I was alluding to MC, is you were asking a loaded question based on fallacious logic. Many religious people, particularly creationists and evangelical Christians, try this little fallacy. "You say "Oh My God" or "Thank God" or "God damn"? Yes? See you do believe in god." or some variant of it. It's up there with this nifty proof for god "how many days in the week are there? 7? God created the world in 7 days, so that's why we have a 7 day week."

Both arguments are apexes of ignorance - not the worst, believe it or not, but damn close.

So you could take me advising you to actually listen to intellectuals of the past and present, people who of contributed to world, who are indirectly and directly responsible for all the modern conveniences you take for granted... as "Belittling comments" - but that doesn't reflect the true intention of my comment, just your paranoid need to have someone prosecute you.

I wish you could break out of this tired box of yours.

"I have been called arrogant myself in my time, and hope to earn the title again, but to claim that I am privy to the secrets of the universe and its creator that's beyond my conceit. I therefore have no choice but to find something suspect even in the humblest believer. Even the most humane and compassionate of the monotheisms and polytheisms are complicit in this quiet and irrational authoritarianism: they proclaim us, in Fulke Greville's unforgettable line, "Created sick Commanded to be well." And there are totalitarian insinuations to back this up if its appeal should fail. Christians, for example, declare me redeemed by a human sacrifice that occurred thousands of years before I was born. I didn't ask for it, and would willingly have foregone it, but there it is: I'm claimed and saved whether I wish it or not. And if I refuse the unsolicited gift? Well, there are still some vague mutterings about an eternity of torment for my ingratitude. That is somewhat worse than a Big Brother state, because there could be no hope of its eventually passing away."
    Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast