Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 101 Atheist Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Christian View Post

I wish you could break out of this tired box of yours.
    I wish you could take off that blindfold you call faith, it blinds you to the true beauty of the universe.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    The label atheist and non-theist is kind of idiotic really - defining a group of people by what they do not believe or what they are not.

While I prefer non-theist - I would rather call myself a Materialist, a Rationalists and/or Humanists; if I must call myself anything. But I still find myself using Atheist, because that is what people know.
    I don't get the labeling either. It's like called myself non-Blonde instead of Brunette. Maybe the term Atheist was meant to have been derogatory label because it does seem to be as such, like negative atheism.

I always thought you were a Rationalist and/or Humanist, not just an Atheist.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

I do think Atheists are grouped together in a rather assumed conformity. Although the essence of the term fits me I personally feel that the term Pearlist does suit me quite well especially in my work with fossils and the gathering of evidence around them.

People are ignorant that most Atheists believe in different things some are persons of science while others can be completely ignorant in science and believe that the cookie monster is real. The spectrum is large.

I wish you could take off that blindfold you call faith, it blinds you to the true beauty of the universe.

I absolutely appreciate the true beauty of the universe... and the astounding creativity of God. It is quite breath-taking... to both of us.

Anyway, looks like you have people willing to engage you in the intellectual efforts of your thread. I leave it to you. *Peace*

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    I don't get the labeling either. It's like called myself non-Blonde instead of Brunette. Maybe the term Atheist was meant to have been derogatory label because it does seem to be as such, like negative atheism.

I always thought you were a Rationalist and/or Humanist, not just an Atheist.
    Thanks As I said, I use Atheist because that's what people know - I would use PEARList like Nicholas, but how many people know what PEARL is?
    Last edited by Infinite Grey; September 9th, 2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Damn typos!

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Christian View Post
    [COLOR=purple]I absolutely appreciate the true beauty of the universe... and the astounding creativity of God. It is quite breath-taking... to both of us.
    Not quite - you believe the world with wished into existence and ignore a continents of reality to maintain that belief - you do not see the beauty of the universe in any significant sense.

Anyway, looks like you have people willing to engage you in the intellectual efforts of your thread. I leave it to you. *Peace*
    Mmm it's great.

Agnostics and deists are usually pretty much atheistic in a practical senses - you look at their philosophies, day to day decisions and general world perspective - the differences are negligible.
    The difference is mainly that Atheists reject anything supernatural out of hand, whereas an Agnostic or Deist might believe in other non-Theistic things like an afterlife, souls, and ghosts.

IMNSHO, Atheists claiming Agnostics and Deists as their "own" is like Wiccans claiming Thoreau was a Pagan because he liked nature.

It's up there with this nifty proof for god "how many days in the week are there? 7? God created the world in 7 days, so that's why we have a 7 day week."
    And they're all named after Pagan gods and goddesses! So that proves...er....what? Stupid argument is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Maybe the term Atheist was meant to have been derogatory label because it does seem to be as such, like negative atheism.

The term "Atheist" was originally coined to define Christians by Roman Polytheists. As the Romans believed that all gods and goddesses exist, the Christians' denial of the existence of any other deities besides their precious Yahweh was considered very bad form, at the least.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    The difference is mainly that Atheists reject anything supernatural out of hand, whereas an Agnostic or Deist might believe in other non-Theistic things like an afterlife, souls, and ghosts.
    Not at all - A good portion of Buddhists are atheists, there are sects of Jews and Hindus (and even an emerging sect of Christianity) that are atheistic.

The only uniting factor that unites Atheists at all, is that they lack a belief in god(s)... the label says nothing about their beliefs on every or anything supernatural beyond that point.

Not at all - A good portion of Buddhists are atheists, there are sects of Jews and Hindus (and even an emerging sect of Christianity) that are atheistic.

The only uniting factor that unites Atheists at all, is that they lack a belief in god(s)... the label says nothing about their beliefs on every or anything supernatural beyond that point.
    Every person that I've ever met that used the label "Atheist" to define him/herself has had that "Dawkin-esque" condescension towards anything supernatural. This could become a very semantic debate here, but if some Atheists allow for the possibility of supernatural elements, then they should probably come up with a specific term for that to separate themselves from the "If-it-ain't-scientific-it's-stupid" crowd.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    Every person that I've ever met that used the label "Atheist" to define him/herself has had that "Dawkin-esque" condescension towards anything supernatural. This could become a very semantic debate here, but if some Atheists allow for the possibility of supernatural elements, then they should probably come up with a specific term for that to separate themselves from the "If-it-ain't-scientific-it's-stupid" crowd.
    So what if every Atheist you've met has been Dawkin-esque? I could say that in my experience Hindu I've met has been Bat-shit crazy, but that does not necessarily reflect true on all Hindu's does it? Hell Shanti, on this site alone, is an Atheist, but not a Dawkin-esque.

How about this; All Baptists are Christian, but not all Christians are Baptists. Or All Geocentricists are Idiots, but not all Idiots are Geocentricists .

Me - I'm closer to the Atheist you describe
    Last edited by Infinite Grey; September 9th, 2009 at 02:05 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast