Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Recommendations for Rune Books

Grieving, Accepting, Still Loving & Missing Him
    :D You're right, I didn't know, Twig! I'll have to check that one out. I'm thinking about making some rune sets for a friend to carry in her shop and would like to include a book with them rather than make something myself. Sounds like this one might be suitable.
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

I just found this thread this morning, and wanted to reply with a few questions. I have a book on Rune Lore written by Paul Rhys Mountfort called "Nordic Runes: Understanding, Casting, and Interpreting the Ancient Viking Oracle". I have struggled with being able to read this book easily in the past, but I want to study the Runes again, so I was wondering if this book was worth slogging through?

I had the pleasure of reading Freya Aswynn's book "Northern Mysteries and Magic" when I first discovered the Runes in 2009, but it was a library book, and I have not been able to get a hold of my own copy of it. I had been turned away from her by an Asatru group who deemed her writing a load of crap, and who repeatedly told me and other seekers that the Runes were only a writing system. Not a magical system, not to be used for divination or other magical workings, just a writing system.

Imagine my surprise at seeing her book as part of your required reading list this morning. Thank you for posting it, I am glad to know my interest, and connection with her work was not all for nothing.

I enjoyed Taking up the Runes by Diane Paxson.

I'm out of my mind, please leave a message...

Quote Originally Posted by ravenscape View Post
    I enjoyed Taking up the Runes by Diane Paxson.
    Me too that book is awesome. I am going to be rebuying a copy soon, since my original met with an untimely demise.

Another fantastic book I found was Complete Illustrated Guide to Runes by Nigel Pennick

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbookworm View Post
    ... Paul Rhys Mountfort called "Nordic Runes: Understanding, Casting, and Interpreting the Ancient Viking Oracle"...
    I used to have that book in my collection, before paring down my library when I first moved across country 3 years ago. I remember the reason that I culled it was not because the book itself was bad in anyway, it just didn't express any 'new'ideas that wee not covered in other books that I had that i felt were more worthy, like those of Edred Thorsson, Freya Aswynn, Nigel Pennick, and Diana L. Paxson (still lamenting the los of this one). Even a little pocket Encycloedia of the Runes by Sirona Knight made the move before Paul Mountfort.

Don't not read the book because of me, as I said it didn't steer one wrong.. but just sort of restated what other authors had already covered.

I have read both Edred Thorsson's book and Galina Krasskova's book. I liked them both.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3