Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Altar location advice.

Altar location advice.

Alright, so I'm pretty new to this religion, and I feel I am ready to create my own Alter. The problem is, I have two die-hard Christian parents who would probably be a little freaked out if they saw such a thing in my room.
    Now, I live in an attic which is very private and quite spacious, but if I were to make an Alter, it would be obvious and easily seen. This is my problem.

Any advice, thoughts, options on where I could possibly put my Alter?
    It would be highly appreciated. :]

Well, then make an altar that isn't conspicuous to begin with. Everyday objects can be used on an altar: a normal set of cups from the kitchen cupboards, a pen and a pencil, and tea lights, for instance. If having cups in your room has your parents' eyebrows wiggling, use containers for candy or school utensils. If you have a simple cabinet with a drawer, you can store everything. If you aren't allowed real candles in your room, get yourself some of those electrical ones. Your parents might even think you've developed a sense of style.
    Last edited by Xentor; August 24th, 2008 at 04:10 AM.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

I agree. Hiding an altar in plain site is actually really easy. I did so for nearly 2 years and it's the prime focus of my bedroom.

Pretty candles, cups and bowls etc can just look like a pretty tabletop display.

Religious blog

Well I'm not sure if this is the type of answer you're looking for or not, but...

For myself, I don't have an alter, as an object or place.

My alter is found within myself.

To pray, to give thanks, then, would require no place, no division. I can pray, I can meditate wherever I go. I can be content wherever I am, because my happiness and success is not determined by outward things. At the same time, I can see the beauty in all things, and so I am sure that my alter is with me.

What do you think?
    Last edited by clearing; August 24th, 2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Peace

Unbound by ties of duality

Embracing All That Is

Forever

One

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Well I'm not sure if this is the type of answer you're looking for or not, but...

For myself, I don't have an alter, as an object or place.

My alter is found within myself.

To pray, to give thanks, then, would require no place, no division. I can pray, I can meditate where ever I go. I can be content where ever I am, because my happiness and success is not determined by outward things. At the same time, I can see the beauty in all things, and so I am sure that my alter is with me.

What do you think?
    I totally agree! in my opinion you dont need an altar and the tools that go with it in order to worship etc. you can do it wherever you feel is sacred to you!

if you do want one, you can hide it easily...i have mine in my cupboard not so much for hiding it more lack of space..but i have candles, crystals, stones, incense, shells on mine..nothing too out of the oridinary about them... its the meaning that counts.
    Last edited by mystic_zoe; August 24th, 2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: to change response and add more

I have got a blue table which used to be my altar. In the beginning, I just put things like pretty crystals and some candles on it. My parents never noticed it because it looked like some extra stylish thing and nothing else. It's pretty easy to hide your altar in plain sight, really.
    Can you touch the root that feeds us?
    Can you hear the words that I say?
    Can you feel the music move you?
    Can you feel alive today?

I have my altar/shrine hidden in plain sight, as others have said. Though it's not about hiding it from my parents, I just don't like people poking at my shrine going "What's that for!"

I have a large bookshelf, and on the second shelf I put enough books to fill it halfway. That leaves a little bit of empty space where I put some ceramics (which are actually offering bowls), a candle, an Ankh necklace, and a framed image with symbols of the Egyptian gods.

To anyone else it just looks like I ran out of books, so I threw a bunch of artsy stuff together to take up space.
    "Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free..."
    -Bob Dylan

I did the same type of thing for years. A candle, a seashell, a piece of petrified wood, and a feather. When I was 18, I bought a beautiful statue of a man and woman and I've used it as my diety representation for years. The other items just sat on the same table. Really, nobody notices.
    Now that I can (and do) have anything I could possibly need displayed in my house, I still turn to these simple items for prayer and meditation.
    You really don't need anything but your intentions.

You can also make it look Christian...
    You could use those candles that have depictions of Mary and Jesus, or even use a statue of Mary for a/the goddess or Jesus for a/the god.

Thank you, everyone. All of these ideas were helpful.

I especially like the idea of having it in a book shelf. I have six small shelfs next to my stairs and one of them would definitely work. :]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast