Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Altar location advice.

Quote Originally Posted by EntwinedScylla View Post
    I have to agree with Brymble. Anything that is not a pat on the head and "keep on lying" is immediately rejected. The fact that other people are telling a minor to lie and hide things from their parents is out-and-out horrifying to me, as well.

The impression I get is very confusing, and I was honestly offering advice to -help-, I'm sorry if your view of the situation prevented you from seeing that I only meant well. Your responses look like you're putting your fingers in your ears and saying "I'm can't hear you, LA LA LA." That is not, exactly, an appropriate response when you've put out a very public request for advice.

I can't help it that it annoys you, and certainly am not aiming for that result. I am, however, challenging you to be a better, more honest, and more responsible person. Something that, as a Pagan (and I assume, a magic-worker of some sort), should be high on your list of priorities.

Building your faith on a foundation of lies and skullduggery means that it will fail you later on, inside or outside. You are at a huge and -very important- crossroads, you can take a path of deceit, in both lying to others and yourself, or you can take the path of maturity and responsibility. Lying about your Work will strip the power from it. It sends mixed messages to the mind when, one moment, that table in the corner is The Sacred Altar... and the next it's "Just a nightstand".

Your faith will survive that, sure, but it will not -thrive- in that.

I still wish you the best of luck, I still wish people weren't telling a minor to lie to their parents. I still wish that this were a perfect world wherein faith was individual and respected universally. I still wish you were letting the information in, even if you don't agree with it.

I have to disagree with you. My faith has survived just fine with my family not knowing and me not telling them. I am perfectly fine with them thinking I am a good christian girl. Its not really their business what my personal faith is and it save alot of "discussions" and arguments later.

While my family would still love me and "accept" it, you have no idea how much more id hear how they are worried about me, I need to get back in church they are afraid im going to go to hell..blah blah blah blah. Which, would in return do nothing but push me away from them and cause animosity towards them.

Would this happen to her? well I dont know, I dont know her or her family personally. But I will say that not telling your parents doesnt make a pagan any less responsible or honest and wont always hinder personal spiritual/religious growth.

I didn't say that not telling her family was irresponsible, I said that -lying- to her family was. And it is. Especially as a young person, still at home.

On the pinpoint topic: Since she's bound and determined, why not consider a portable Altar? These Boxes, the largest of which is 16x11x6 should be large enough to contain the basic ritual tools, and serve as a discrete altar top. It could be painted or decoupaged rather nicely, even markers would work on it. When not in use the tools can be stored out of view (to prevent any "freak outs") and it's self-contained, meaning it can be taken for "field trips" or stored whole-hog out of the way. The entire set, and it's individual boxes, can be found at most craft stores across North America, look good together, and between them could hold a wealth of supplies.

But I suspect anything short of an open table is, again, not what the OP is looking for, despite the above being just about the most discrete altar style I can think of.
    Last edited by EntwinedScylla; November 23rd, 2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: clarity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think that honestly she should do what her heart tells her. After all, no one would know better than herself. If she feels she wants to have an altar she should have one. Why hold back because you are worried about your parents? Aren't you just lieing to yourself then? I had an accepting mother and I was lucky for that. But not all families are going to be that way. Does that mean she should put a halt to all that she believes in? I think not. Even if my parents were of another faith and granted I respected them a lot, I would think I should be able to keep my beliefs out as well if they could. Why hide when you should be able to do what makes you happy as well? I am all for respecting the parents. But you shouldn't have to hide that which makes you feel happy, right or whole.
    Last edited by LadyLuthien; November 23rd, 2009 at 10:41 PM.
    I am dancing with the stars and I'm not coming down. I'm not coming down.

I am riding on a wave, and it's straight through your heart. I'm not coming down.

Thank you everyone who is giving positive input. It is appreciated. ^^

brymble and EntwinedScylla, please just stop commenting. You're not helping and you're being ridiculously rude. I do not appreciate it, nor your way-off assumptions of me. Honestly, act your age and go give input to someone who wants to hear it.

Well, lets look at it this way. There's a difference between lying, and not telling. And, just because she is their daughter, is she obligated to tell shes on a pagan/wiccan/magic path? (whichever, I forget now). In addition, what about the aspects of at times, secrecy being needed? Like say at work, im not obligated by any means to say outloud "I worship Kali!" in front of people who are primarily Christian. I also dont discuss it with my sister, who is major christian, because I dont want to hear anything about it. Its bad enough she already thinks im 'weird' because I do have an altar in my house and has viewed my rather extensive library.

Some kids have diaries with locks on them, and they write in them and keep their thoughts to themselves. I dont see anything wrong with that. I also dont see how in all cases, how one is raised religiously, is always going to be the same. Many are coming up, from one religious home, but somehow, their hearts are leaning toward another spiritual path. Is it necessary for them to begin, only when they move out of the parents home, their spiritual path? To me, that would be more lying to oneself, cheating oneself out of some growth that could be taking place when beginning in teens. My own path, more extensively began much younger when I attended church but migrated off in my teens when I began arguing with my sunday school teacher over the concept of hell and who goes there and why kids should be able to attend dances (lol yes I had one of those). I stopped going, and got on my path freshman year, steps and steps into the road im on. I always kept my own spiritual ideas a private matter from mom, not to hide from her, but she wasnt very religious, and I preferred to keep things to myself. Thats just the way I was, and sometimes, we cant paint with a broad brush, all cases, how some should deal in a parents home.

But either way back to subject, if she has a little altar I dont see it as her lying, I just see it as her beginning her path, creating a sacred space to put her soul into. If there is no harm in it, then why not? If the parents dont know what it represents, then it may be better they dont know. Shes not lying, shes just decorating a cute table in her room. Maybe its better they think along those lines so they dont get concerned she might be getting into *woo woo* magick and all that freaky stuff. Quoting how some could view it, cause not all understand it. Thats the way they could see it, and then if they made her take it down because of what it represents hows that going to solve anything?

Quote Originally Posted by EntwinedScylla View Post
    I didn't say that not telling her family was irresponsible, I said that -lying- to her family was. And it is. Especially as a young person, still at home.

On the pinpoint topic: Since she's bound and determined, why not consider a portable Altar? These Boxes, the largest of which is 16x11x6 should be large enough to contain the basic ritual tools, and serve as a discrete altar top. It could be painted or decoupaged rather nicely, even markers would work on it. When not in use the tools can be stored out of view (to prevent any "freak outs") and it's self-contained, meaning it can be taken for "field trips" or stored whole-hog out of the way. The entire set, and it's individual boxes, can be found at most craft stores across North America, look good together, and between them could hold a wealth of supplies.

But I suspect anything short of an open table is, again, not what the OP is looking for, despite the above being just about the most discrete altar style I can think of.
    It is good to have an end to journey toward;
    but it is the journey that matters, in the end.

- Ursula K. Le Guin.

Quote Originally Posted by AromaticFey View Post
    Thank you everyone who is giving positive input. It is appreciated. ^^

brymble and EntwinedScylla, please just stop commenting. You're not helping and you're being ridiculously rude. I do not appreciate it, nor your way-off assumptions of me. Honestly, act your age and go give input to someone who wants to hear it.
    Whether you find some responses helpful or not, all members are allowed to add their opinions and thoughts to any thread. For those reading along, it can be helpful to look at different perspectives.

You can certainly put them on "ignore" if you'd prefer not to read their responses.

admin

Admin Mode

Thread closed at original poster's request.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all convictions, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5