Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So you want to be a pagan!

So you want to be a pagan!

When I was in grade school, the school library had a series of books about careers and the titles were all "So you want to be a ......." And I thought they were hilarious.

So, as a "new" pagan...what attracts you to paganism?

As an "old" pagan, I am curious about how paganism is seen and what aspects of it are catching the attention of people and making them study it or choose it as a life path.

How did you learn about it? What made you think "THAT is for me!"

I'll share my experience a bit later, I don't want to color anyone's responses with my own.

Even if you are not so new...feel free to answer, there had to have been some "hook" for each of us that made us hungry for more.

cheddar
    In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

im new to paganism...been interested for a couple years now.

honestly, i found out about Wicca from watching Buffy. i knew it wouldnt be like on tv but something about it just hooked me. i researched Wicca and thats where it all started.

"Old" pagan here :D
    What first attracted me I can't really remember because I felt pagan from a little girl onwards. But when I started to seriously look into wicca/paganism/druidism/whatnot I liked the fact that responsibility isn't placed without the person, with a godbeing. I have always disliked that about Christianity.
    The huge respect for everything was another aspect which spoke to me.
    And of course the importance of nature in this way of life.
    And I remember the extreme sense of homecoming when I finally read proper books about paganism :D
    ... everything mortal has moments immortal ...

I also got introduced to the idea of witchcraft through a movie...The Craft! Haha...oh my. But hey, I was only 11 and it got me to pick up a book on the topic. I had another friend do the same...and there we were 10years later and she made fun of me for still being "into" witchcraft. I guess that's where the difference lies...I found something that sparked with me. The elements, the idea of energy in everything, my undying love for stones, my interest in divination, it all kind of came to a pinnancle and even though it was a movie that told me hey, look into this, and even though it was a bad movie at that, I still found something that just struck me hard. Struck me down, even and never let go.

The real hook for me...was that it just made sense. I never feel like something I'm trying to do is a real stretch, it just...it just is. I suppose then...I had a natural draw and I followed it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddarsox View Post
    When I was in grade school, the school library had a series of books about careers and the titles were all "So you want to be a ......." And I thought they were hilarious.

So, as a "new" pagan...what attracts you to paganism?

As an "old" pagan, I am curious about how paganism is seen and what aspects of it are catching the attention of people and making them study it or choose it as a life path.

How did you learn about it? What made you think "THAT is for me!"

I'll share my experience a bit later, I don't want to color anyone's responses with my own.

Even if you are not so new...feel free to answer, there had to have been some "hook" for each of us that made us hungry for more.

cheddar
    well as an "old" pagan i've always been drawn to the idea of paganism, of multiple gods, worshipping nature, magick etc. But it was a show called 'travelers" on teh discovery channel that introduced me to paganism, and showed me hey, real witches exist. in that show they went to various places all over the place. it was near halloween so they were appropriately in Salem, mass. So the talked to some real witches there. Right then i was like OMG there are real witches?! awesome! i want to learn more. and also thought, hey i believe that stuff too. So then i started my own research....and lets see...9, 10..whatever, years later here i am.
    ~*~ )o( Blessings in Shadow & Light! )o( ~*~

~ Semper Fi ~

I'm a new Pagan and the part about worshipping nature is what attracted me. Even when I was part of Christianity, I only felt connected to my spirituality when I was outside, with the wind on my face or the sound of the ocean.

Ok, my turn.

I became pagan "pre-Buffy" and pre "Charmed"...or maybe more correctly, I was born pagan and it just took me a long time to realize that.

I was raised Catholic, and really tried to make Chrisitanity work, while I respect the teachings and ethics, I couldn't make it work as a belief system. It simply was contrary to my experience of life and the Universe. I kept thinking...wouldn't it be cool if there was a religion that addressed what I believe and feel inside.

While attending a liberal Christian church, I was introduced to some basic pagan spirituality...yes, at the Church,by the ministers, who were discussion ancient spiritualities. I was like "YES!", but didn't know there were real live people still practicing those things, outside of the liberal Christians who thought they were cool.

But about that same time some health and personal crises caused me to say "enough" to Christianity and start practicing my authentic faith, what I knew and believed deep down inside.

A few years later I discovered that there are lots of people who follow this path and practice these beliefs and I was thrilled.

To me, paganism is practicing from the inside out, rather than from the outside in.

It is my authentic response to what I know and believe, not what is enforced from an outside authority.

I didn't have to plan an altar, when I heard about them, I realized I've always had a few around the house. I didn't have to learn how to do ritual, I realized I've been doing them all along.

So, it was like I started living as a pagan, because it was inside me, and then later happily found community.

What attracted me to paganism was it's authenticity.
    In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

This was actually over a decade ago, but thought I'd throw my two bits in.

I was meandering around Yahoo! directory, within the paranormal section, as I was vastly interested in UFOs and ghosts. One of the listings there cross-linked over to Wicca & Witchcraft, and I clicked over, learned that in Wicca "harm none" was the first rule, and that the Divine could be male AND female too, so I decided to start learning more about it.
    Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

One word: freedom. That's the thing that made me fall hook, line and sinker for the path. I was used to a pre-chewed version of faith, so the massive bit of having to research everything myself was very tempting...

... and ultimately, I had already been called to this path long before I acquainted myself with it.
    Can you touch the root that feeds us?
    Can you hear the words that I say?
    Can you feel the music move you?
    Can you feel alive today?

I first encountered Paganism through a bunch of friends at college. I knew about Paganism because we were always raising money at church to "save the souls of the Pagan babies." A chance conversation with those friends was my first inkling that there were -gasp!- Pagans in America. I mulled that over for a while, and then I got invited to a Beltane ritual by this woman I had a gimondo crush on.

The woman is long gone (thank goodness), but Paganism remains. I went to that ritual and was awed by the simple power and beauty of it, and by the conviction of the practicioners. They didn't believe in gods or magic because some priest or rabbi at the front of the room told them to; they believed it because they'd experienced it. I was intrigued by how easily they accomodated the varying beliefs of the participants (we had, IIRC, 3 Wiccans, a Druid, a Satanist, an Asatruar, and a self-described "person who runs up and down beaches a lot").

Most of all, what hooked me was that the ritual, heavy though it was with Wiccan language and symbology, honored Nature and the Earth as and for themselves, not merely as the creations of an Almighty God. The Earth had always been so important to me, and I'd been frustrated by the short shrift it got in Christianity and Judaism. The concept of an immanent divinity, as presented by neo-Wicca, was mighty appealing to me.

Eventually, I dropped the intermediary of deity and rolled right on to "worshipping" the Earth and the Cosmos. Through 3 religions and exploration of several more, that one constant has remained.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast