Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 81

Thread: So you want to be a pagan!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    by the sea
    Posts
    9,423
    My parents were of the belief that children should determine their own spiritual beliefs, so from an early age we were encouraged to read, research and question. I was led to my own particular path in this way.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,283
    I came to my path because I'd become heavily disillusioned with Christianity and following people's rules, orders and dominance, and had become obsessed with finding the truth in all things, as I was tired of all the lies, misery and confusion around me. Plus I was always deep into astrology (and the tarot back then), and I also had natural powers of Reiki even from a young age.

    Somehow I came to the conclusion at the time that the church would frown upon my powers and thus I would never be accepted, no matter how hard I tried. I didn't think that was fair at all since I was born with them and had no choice in the matter. I also had a distaste for the 'Man is greater than the beasts' thing and that women lacked power under the system. So I fell out of Christianity and started practicing altruism instead, though I have made more adjustments to my personal path since then.
    Last edited by Raxeph; September 18th, 2008 at 04:27 AM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Brooks View Post
    You're all probably going to think this is silly, but...I first became interested in paganism when I was about three feet tall and I saw the original version of The Mummy from 1932 for the very first time. You know, the one with Boris Karloff. I figured I wanted to be just like Ardath Bey when I grew up (except maybe not quite so dusty), so I started reading books about Egypt. That was when I first learned about Set, and I don't know how to explain it, but something just clicked. It was like Set was holding an invisible vacuum cleaner to my brain and one day, He just turned it on. After that, it didn't matter what I was watching on TV or listening to on the radio or learning about at school - it just seemed like it was all tied to Set somehow. ....
    This sounds VERY typical of the Egyptian pantheon. So many I know who work with Egyptian deities have described similar experiences to me, not of being called or invited, but being CHOSEN...YOU! HERE! NOW!...lol.

    I'm glad someone revived this thread, I love to hear how others found their way!
    In a love affair with sunshine

    Live this day like an altar to what you believe

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oceanside/San Diego, CA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    76

    Dreaming in color

    In response to Heart of Moon....

    I am not sure if I read that somewhere, or someone just told me. But I have heard it from several places that it is unusual to dream in color. And I ma pretty sure one of the places I heard it was in my Philosophy class last year. (love that class!) I remember my teacher saying that some people conjecture that dreams, because some of them seem so real, may be an alternate reality or something. We had this whole three hour discussion in class about whether we thought dreams could be considered an alternate state of being, even if it was just real to you, since you're the one having the dream. It was intense, and really stimulating conversation.

    I personally am not sure what I believe in regards to dreams, except that I know I have had a few prophetic ones. I never realize it until the events happen though.

    Annnyhow, just thought I would add some things to that bit.
    "You know those shows that chronicle drug addicts and show how desperate they get? I'm like that with coffee. I go in with pennies saying, "how much will this get me??" With a desperate look in my eyes. They usually laugh until I start tapping the veins in my arm."


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thee I invoke, by the moonlit sea, by the standing stone and the twisted tree. )O(


    "If it absolutely, has to be destroyed overnight: US Marines."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by thyself View Post
    I am not sure if I read that somewhere, or someone just told me. But I have heard it from several places that it is unusual to dream in color. And I ma pretty sure one of the places I heard it was in my Philosophy class last year. (love that class!)
    Interesting. I haven't had a single dream that's not been in colour, myself.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxeph View Post
    Interesting. I haven't had a single dream that's not been in colour, myself.
    I've also heard that humans dream in black and white, but except for a few exceptions my dreams are in color, my point being when they are NOT, I notice because it is unusual.

    And while discussing dreams with others, I don't know anyone who primarily dreams in black and white.

    I can recall numerous instances when color was important/obvious...so I know it's not just that I sense color must be there in my dreams, it IS there.

    It really makes no sense that we would NOT dream in color, I mean, except for the very few truly colorblind individuals (not the red/green sort, but totally color blind)...black/white wouldn't even have made sense to humans until the advent of photography.

    Indeed, all my black/white dreams are either like animations or like black/white genre films, but anything that resembles reality is always in color.
    In a love affair with sunshine

    Live this day like an altar to what you believe

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    city of brotherly love
    Posts
    845
    Yeah, I agree that it's a sort of silly conjecture that people always dream in black and white.

    My guess as to where that idea came from, though, is that you can't see color in the dark, and when you're dreaming, it's usually dark.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Here. Now.
    Posts
    3,775
    Quote Originally Posted by HeartofMoon View Post
    My guess as to where that idea came from, though, is that you can't see color in the dark, and when you're dreaming, it's usually dark.
    I know this isn't what you meant, but my dreams are always so dark. Even happy dreams, even dreams that take place in the middle of the day when there should be bright sunlight everywhere, everything is dark. So I don't know if I dream in B&W or color - everything's so dim I can barely see anything, let alone know what color it is!
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    At The Drive-In With Joe Bob Briggs
    Posts
    1,538
    I always dream in color. Matter of fact, I had a real scary one just last night, where I was in a yellow warehouse that had been renovated to look like the Overlook Hotel in Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining. There was an escalator where one of the steps was made of some transparent plastic stuff, and underneath I could see a drowned dude floating in water and staring at me with these really puffy, water-logged eyes. His skin had turned a dark shade of blue and there were red lights everywhere.

    I don't think I've ever had a black and white dream in my entire life. I've also heard that you aren't supposed to be able to read in your dreams, but I know that's not true either, because I've had numerous dreams where I'd be reading things that were written on walls, in books, etc.
    Last edited by Darth Brooks; September 30th, 2008 at 03:52 PM.
    My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

    The song of the tempest is His name.


    Khepher-I-Suti

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern US
    Posts
    1,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Brooks View Post
    I've also heard that you aren't supposed to be able to read in your dreams, but I know that's not true either, because I've had numerous dreams where I'd be reading things that were written on walls, in books, etc.
    Yeah, I read in dreams all the time...I wonder who comes us with that stuff! Or maybe people just dream very differently, but some assume that everyone must dream the way they do...like how they make dreams look on TV and movies..um, mine NEVER look that way, do anyone's? or is it just a culturally accepted way of showing "now the character is dreaming"?
    In a love affair with sunshine

    Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •