Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: So you want to be a pagan!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Brooks View Post
    I've also heard that you aren't supposed to be able to read in your dreams, but I know that's not true either, because I've had numerous dreams where I'd be reading things that were written on walls, in books, etc.
    I read in dreams, but it is so difficult. In fact, that's a common element in my "frustration dreams" - someone gives me something important to read, and it takes me so damned long to get through that it becomes another stressor in the dream.

Also, I've been paying careful attention to my dreams the last few nights, and my verdict is: I do dream in color, but never vivid or vibrant colors. They're very muted and washed-out looking.

Um...how did we get talking about what our dreams look like?
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

It started somewhere on Page 2, I think, and kind of veered off into a tangent.

Just to bring the conversation back on track...Another one of the things that attracted me to Paganism was the amount of sheer diversity. Although I have come across a few close-minded Pagans every now and then through my years so far, there are so many different interpretations and definitions that there's plenty of room for everybody. Even though the Christian definition of "pagan" means someone who is neither Christian, Muslim, nor Jewish, there is obviously plenty of room for Pagans who feel inspired to blend their own paths with Christianity and other Abrahamic paradigms. After all, many of the historical pagan cultures blended their own traditions with others, as with the Egyptians, the Hyksos, the Greeks, the Romans, etc. I feel drawn to this subculture because I believe being a Pagan means being able to look past the borders between traditions and find the common truths that unite all people everywhere - and yet there is also room for Pagans who do not want to blend their paths with anyone else's.
    My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

is offline Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
    I have never felt a connection with Christianity or other mainstream religion. Almost 20 years ago I got into Wicca, but after about 6 months I realised that it wasn't for me. For many years after that I couldn't quite figure out exactly what I beleived in, and it wasn't until a year and half ago that I stumbled onto the Religio Romana path. I have always been interested in ancient Roman history and it just felt right to me. I love the fact that it is a path that is filled with historical references and information. I think the reason why I don't feel connected with Wicca is that because there isn't a long history behind it.
    Last edited by Cultrix Deorum; October 21st, 2008 at 01:24 PM.

I was always interested in magic and things as a kid. It was pretty taboo in my family. Even if it didn't work, my family considered it to be spiritually dangerous.

Social pressure, however, has never been something that has had a major impact on my willingness to pursue my interests. By age 14 or 15, I had managed to track down enough information on the internet and at the library to start doing energy work and meditation--but secretly. I didn't really see a contradiction with Christianity at the time.

At 16 or 17, I started to get serious about looking closely at Christianity. I'd always just kind of accepted it. But now I was older, and I had been honing my logical and analytical abilities through forum discussions, reading, schoolwork, etc. It was time I checked to make sure that what I'd been taught--that Christianity has a strong basis in history and fact--was actually true.

Coming to grips with the fact that it wasn't true was very difficult. After finally accepting it, I decided that the best thing for me to do was not worry so much about religious labels for a while--just think things through for myself, assisted by my collegiate studies of philosophy, and let the chips fall where they may.

As it happens, they fell on paganism. I was taking Latin my sophomore year of college, and we were learning about parts of Roman culture along the way--including parts of Roman religion. I found that the attitudes and beliefs of Roman culture were roughly similar to or compatible with the attitudes and beliefs I'd simply grown into after leaving Christianity.

This inspired further research. The more I read, and the more I thought about things, the more I felt that NOT representing myself as pagan would be at least somewhat dishonest. I was uncomfortable with the label at first, but it seemed to be an accurate description.

While I'm not by any means a reconstructionist, I'm not much like your standard eclectic or Wiccan, either. The closest group toward my attitudes is probably the ADF. Though I'm still a lot more comfortable with Roman and Hellenistic pantheons and modes of expression than Celtic, the ADF is engaged in just the kind of project I'm interested in.

As a new Pagan, I was attracted to Paganism because I have always believed in Faeries, Unicorns, and such. While I grew up, some people told me that they weren't real. I was heartbroken because I had always loved believing in them. It was so hard to show my beliefs that I simply stopped thinking about them. Also, because my father was a Christian, I went to church where they also said that these things didn't exist or that the devil was trying to influence you. I despised going to church and having my beliefs bashed on.

But, when I heard about Paganism, I realized that there was a path that I could follow; where I wouldn't be made fun of for my beliefs!

I'm a "new" pagan, and new to this site as well. I was raised Orthodox Roman Catholic, which is a type of Catholicism that is not tolerant of any outside influences. I was even content in my faith, fervrent, zealotry, that sorta thing. I went through the whole 9 yards with my folks, Sunday School, Catholic Elementary and High School, even taking a trip to Seminary. While I was in the later part of High School and my brief stay at seminary, we were encouraged to read the Bible, and to ask questions from what we have read. It was St. Paul, that let me away from faith in Christianity, something I always thought was ironic in its own way, but he wrote letters, to Churches all over, he was saved, a sinner and a pagan before being brought into the fold, with his name change. That inserted a seed in my brain of how can I preach, how can I share the message of anyone to the people, when I've never really been one of the people, I've not led their lives, nor even have common experiences with them. That was something that has always stuck with me. Once i got outside of the Church, and of a pretty astringent Catholic family, I started noticing the alot bigotry in the Church, so I stayed close to home as far as spirituality went, and started looking at other forms of christianity, but the rules stopped making sense. If God made man, and man made things, should we not enjoy these things? Why was it wrong to listen to some types of music, why was it wrong to drink, or do drugs, or study other faithes, why was it wrong to do this? Their is alot of doctrine, and not alot of real answered. Then I started thinking about the Saints, and their similarities to lesser gods and demi-gods of some ancient pantheons.

Anyways, tha took me abotu 5 monthes to puzzle out, I then went to Europe for a few monthes, and I realized that their are things trully older than man, and that, maybe, ancient man had it jsut right. I liked the idea of Atlas carrying the world, and of Gilgamesh being trully heroic. That year I was introduced to Shintoism, Confucism, and D(T)aoism. I'd gotten the snot beat out of me a few times, and had decided to take some martial arts classes, and my Sensai was very spiritual, and often told me, that the only way to be succesful is to balance my mind body and soul. It stuck with me, since then I've been on the look out for a faith that trully meshses, I've termed my path as the Winding Way, because nothing has perfectly connected, its just sort of, fit, and so until I find one that meshes completely, I'll pilfer from others till its there. It also helps that my wife is Wiccan, and has always supported me in trying to find what makes me feel spiritually whole.

That was truly beautiful. I especially like the fact that you say you are still "pilfering" from other religions until things make sense to you. You put that very well. We are all on a never-ending journey that is "the Winding Way." Very poetic.

Blessed Be
    "You know those shows that chronicle drug addicts and show how desperate they get? I'm like that with coffee. I go in with pennies saying, "how much will this get me??" With a desperate look in my eyes. They usually laugh until I start tapping the veins in my arm."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thee I invoke, by the moonlit sea, by the standing stone and the twisted tree. )O(

"If it absolutely, has to be destroyed overnight: US Marines."

I started out getting into Native American Spirituality and shamanism. I've always been fascinated by nature religions. Eventually I found out about Wicca and Paganism and it just branched out from there. That was about five years ago.
    Last edited by Whitewolf; November 13th, 2008 at 08:25 PM.

"Madness takes its toll, please have exact change".

-Jessica [aka Whitewolf][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/White_Wolf1

My Paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51

Quote Originally Posted by cheddarsox View Post
    When I was in grade school, the school library had a series of books about careers and the titles were all "So you want to be a ......." And I thought they were hilarious.

So, as a "new" pagan...what attracts you to paganism?

As an "old" pagan, I am curious about how paganism is seen and what aspects of it are catching the attention of people and making them study it or choose it as a life path.

How did you learn about it? What made you think "THAT is for me!"

I'll share my experience a bit later, I don't want to color anyone's responses with my own.

Even if you are not so new...feel free to answer, there had to have been some "hook" for each of us that made us hungry for more.

cheddar
    *chuckles* My school had those too. I was going to be a flight attendant

Well I think sometimes its hard for me to say. I was adopted into a pagan/wiccan family two years back. I had spent my whole life clinging to my biological father's back on a motercycle riding around Arizona. We slept on the sides of roads, so I guess you could say I've always been close to nature. I was always a good reader even though I had never had much schooling. I'd never been to a church, so my childhood idea of religion was the moon and the stars. Astrology stuff my biological father would point out. When I found that a religion was based around the earth, nature, and the moon I was estatic. I was skeptical, so I waited, but then was initated.

I believe now that I would have found this path no matter what, but my family defiantly helped me see that there was a light, a path out there for me.

Umm...I was born?

Hey all I've been pagan for the entirety of my 16 years, and I suppose that's not long in the grand scheme of the world, however, I think it was just... natural; my mother is pagan, and when I was going into kindy, I asked mum if I could go to scripture, and she asked me what I wanted to learn there; I told her very honestly, I wanted to learn about the Goddess and about all the animals, and about candles, and Magick... And my mum told me that they didnt have a scripture for that yet.. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed And it irks me STILL that there are no pagan teachings in school.
    :D
    So yes, that's my story
    As the Full Moon Rises, So Does Our Hope, As it Wanes Again, So Does Our Visibility

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast