Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: So you want to be a pagan!

I was interested in magick for years before I was actually thinking about a religion. It wasn't until I became a Christian, realised that it didn't answer ANY of my questions about the universe, and then made pagan friends at school, in about yr 8, that I realsised that this was what answered my questions. It felt right, natural.
    I've never questioned anything about it the way I did when I was christian.
    And even though I have been given a lot of crap about the path I have chosen, i'm happy with it. I may not know EXACTLY what path I follow, but I know I'm heading in the right direction, I am figuring it out for myself, rather than someone else telling me what is right and wrong, and that;s gotta count for something right??

As an "old" pagan have to say I never really questioned it. It was just the way things where done. I remember finding out not every thinking or having their family do the same things mine did and being shocked. Now of coruse it makes sense that they don't but when you six or seven it was a little surprising.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

I've always been the 'dreamer' of my family. Ever since I was a little kid, I've always been attracted to magic and the supernatural. I guess it started out by watching cartoons like 'Dragon Tales' or something other fantasy show like that. I was also an avid reader at a young age, and I only read fantasy books, so that spurred on my imagination. I always used to imagine up superheroes, mystical creatures, and magic-based things.

Excluding my mother, my family is fairly religious. My step-dad's family and my Aunt's family are Catholics, my Grandparents are non-denominational Christians, and my Dad is a Calvinist [I think that's what it's called]. So, I used to go to Sunday School and Church with my Dad and my Mom when I was younger. Also, when I got home, my Dad would usually preach to me some more. I tried to be a good Christian and believe in God, but my attempts were half-hearted. I was always clinging to the side of me that loved the mysterious and magical.

I went to some Christian summer camps, and I thought I had finally connected with God, but when I left the camp, my 'connection' stayed behind. I guess I was always just putting on a show for others, and for myself. I wanted so badly to be 'normal' and believe and trust in God like all the other kids, but I couldn't.

When I first entered high school is when I began to question things. At that time, I still wanted to be a Christian, but when I began looking into the religion further, I began to have more and more unanswered questions [plus I still hung on to the supernatural and magical side of me, although none of my friends knew that]. As I began to question the Bible more and more, I realized that I didn't want to be a Christian. I didn't want to pretend to believe in something that I disagreed so much with.

So, I just became un-religious for a while, although I had begun searching through other information on other religions. Then, I found some information about Wicca. I had never heard of it before, so I was intrigued.

That started my journey. I checked out some books from the library and I just had a gut feeling that this religion was for me [my magical and supernatural side was rejoicing!], but I eventually moved away from Wicca and into Eclectic Paganism. At this moment in time, I would call myself a Seeker. I've been seeking for about a year now, but its been off and on due to family issues.

And it's been really hard for me in the past couple of months at school. All of my friends at school are Christians. ALL of them. It's so hard for me to sit there and have them talk about things I don't believe in. I went to one of their youth group Bible studies once, and what they talked about seemed so wrong to me. I could never tell them that I was a Pagan. I know very well that I would be shunned by at least four of them. But, I'm learning to live with it, and I know it will get easier with time.

Blessed Be.

I've always been Pagan inwardly, without knowing the word for it until the past couple of years. From a very young age I've been interested in witchcraft and nature -- I would be happiest running around outside on my own pretending there was fairies. I would always have dreams of being a witch or having powers, and always maintained a strong interest in magic and spirits and Greek mythology. I've also always collected crystals for some reason. After some experinces with spirits when I was 14 I kind of shut myself off to spiritual things choosing to be agnostic and or atheist because I was afraid.

I always knew I was a bit different, my family too. My parents exhbited little surprise when they said I turned out much like my aunt. I looked into witchcraft when I was about 16 but was afraid of getting involved with spirits again so I left it (there was also no means for me to properly read about it then); I pretty much forced myself not to think about it even though I always felt drawn to it.

This is going to sound ridiculous but around the age of 16 or 17 I played a game called 'The Longest Journey' (point and click adventure games FTW!) and it was full of Pagan imagery and animistic concepts. There was a character in it called Cortez who was having a conversation with the main character and he basically told her that he doesn't pray to 'God' he prays to 'the universe, to the trees and stones and the sky'. That really resonated with me and I pretty much took on that pantheistic/animistic belief without thinking too much about it, only that I intrinsically knew it was right also without understanding that there was a term for such a belief -- funnily enough in the game there's tree spirits that talk about being all connected 'as one'. It was lovely, I think the maker incorporated a lot of Heathen beliefs into the game (I believe he was from Scandinavia or thereabouts).

But anyways, to cut a long story short, a couple of years ago I decided to look into Buddhism but changed my mind when on amazon.co.uk and looked for books on witchcraft instead. And that was how I ran into Paganism and thus here I am. I was thinking the other day how I could never be anything else -- it's who I am, and the joy and freedom it gives means the world to me. I think being a Pagan is who I am, and who I've always been. It was just a case of learning it's name. When I found out what I was I didn't feel alienated and alone anymore, it was a very cathartic thing to find.
    Last edited by electricpeppers; January 29th, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
    Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe.
    Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you.
    Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature.
    From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.

Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine Marie View Post
    I've always been the 'dreamer' of my family. Ever since I was a little kid, I've always been attracted to magic and the supernatural. I guess it started out by watching cartoons like 'Dragon Tales' or something other fantasy show like that. I was also an avid reader at a young age, and I only read fantasy books, so that spurred on my imagination. I always used to imagine up superheroes, mystical creatures, and magic-based things.
    This is exactly what I was/am like.
    Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe.
    Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you.
    Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature.
    From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.

Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine Marie View Post
    and my Dad is a Calvinist
    My wife was just telling me the other day that Calvinism is making a comeback. My brain kind of went when I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine Marie
    I went to some Christian summer camps, and I thought I had finally connected with God, but when I left the camp, my 'connection' stayed behind. I guess I was always just putting on a show for others, and for myself. I wanted so badly to be 'normal' and believe and trust in God like all the other kids, but I couldn't.
    This reminds me a lot of my own experience. When I was 5, Mom and I belonged to a Church of God congregation (a Pentecostal-type denomination). The minister would call people up to the altar who wanted to accept Jesus into their hearts as their personal saviors. One week, I told Mom I wanted to go up. It was a huge deal, because I was one of the youngest people ever to do it. At the time, everyone believed I'd really been touched by God.

But the older I get, the more I'm convinced I just wanted attention, and I wanted my mom to think of me as a "good girl." But maybe that's not why. I mean, come on. I was five. How much could I have understood what I was doing? Maybe I just thought "accepting Jesus into my heart" would mean having a super-cool imaginary friend who was with me all the time.

The need to belong and be accepted is so strong in all of us, so I try not to beat myself up about it too much. But every now and then I wonder where I would be now if I hadn't spent so much time trying to fit in when I was younger.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

What attracted me to paganism?
    A grasshopper! Yes that is the truth.
    At 4 years old I spent time with a grasshopper and from that day on I walked my own way.

It's so interesting, learning how others found their own way.

Here's my story. Ever since I can remember I was interested in the "weird" stuff: ghosts, UFOs, aliens, reincarnation, TK, PK, witchcraft included. I remember being the only third grader to be reading Daniel Cohen and Seymour Simon's Ghosts. LOL

In 6th or 7th grade I remember being distinctly interested in witchcraft. Not so much the Paganism, mind you, but magic. One day when I was carrying around a spellbook (because I was 13 and had no idea what to read to get an idea of anything), one of my friends told me that I was going to go to hell. Needless to say that scared the crap out of me and I put away my interest. Or rather, I made it more private.

Soon after, I admit it, I bought Teen Witch. I barely read it. I think I somehow knew even back then that Wicca wasn't right for me. But I still read Scott Cunningham and the like. I just knew that something along those lines was though. It's only been recently that I have somewhat "outted" myself, by proclaiming on my Facebook to be Pagan.

My family has always known about my interests. My grandmother was interested in the paranormal, so I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree (I just wonder what she would say about her granddaughter being a witch). I haven't sat down with them and said, "I'm an eclectic Pagan and that there is my altar," but I have a feeling that they know. We've always been the "weird" ones anyway, so I really don't think they'd be too surprised.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

"True magic is neither black nor white. It's both because nature is both loving and cruel, all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch." ~Lirio, The Craft

"Woman must not depend on the protection of man but must be taught to defend herself." ~Susan B. Anthony

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." ~Teddy Roosevelt

"My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!" ~Frances Owens, Practical Magic

I have always believed the spirit of the earth and nature, and have always believed in other "pagan concepts" But I never really knew what it was called, or that there was even a name for these beliefs. One day I was searching the web on religions (trying to find one that was closest to what I believed) and when I typed in "Pagan religion" I came across this website (http://www.spiralgoddess.com/Pagan101.html) and...honestly...my heart was beating SO fast as I read the description of the religion and I almost jumped up and down saying "OMG THIS IS IT!!!!!!!".... and the rest is history.

So for me it was never a question of simply finding it interesting and then developing the beliefs to go with it, rather it was having the beliefs and then finding out it was called "Paganism"

Quote Originally Posted by electricpeppers View Post
    I was thinking the other day how I could never be anything else -- it's who I am, and the joy and freedom it gives means the world to me. I think being a Pagan is who I am, and who I've always been. It was just a case of learning it's name. When I found out what I was I didn't feel alienated and alone anymore, it was a very cathartic thing to find.
    Me too...despite what others may think about it or whatever... I know in my heart that this is where I am supposed to be. I've almost never felt more sure of anything in my life. This morning as I was on my way to school, I looked out of the passenger window and saw a plain of grass framed on either side by forests...a pink and orange sunrise and some deer grazing in the grass and I thought "I'm home."

It's really hard to pinpoint where the interest in occult (and paganism) began. I remember knowing about LaVeyan Satanism before my friend discovered it and whipped the book out for show and tell one fateful day...before he went down that path. (I miss him, and sometimes wonder what ever became of him after that.) I can only say that I've always had a really big imagination as a child, and it has managed to keep with me up to this day. I've always had a fondness for nature, and I've always wanted to be able to do magic in some form or another. As a kid it simply took form of pretending to be things, whether they were animals, super heroes, or supernatural creatures.

However, if there were two main contributors, IMO, they would be Chaos Magick (which I discovered in my later high school years) and Taoism. Chaos Magick opened my mind to the possibilities. Hell, probabilities. And Taoism was my gateway to the idea of the divine. It has, I believe coalesced into my tentative steps on the Wiccan path. A sort of marriage between Taoist philosophy and Wiccan spirituality, I would say.
    Last edited by Clash of Vision; February 25th, 2009 at 11:58 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast