Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: So you want to be a pagan!

i can't really consider myself to be an old pagan or a new pagan. i was raised in a semi-strict christian family. my father died when i was three and i lived with him in ireland until then. his parents were already dead too, so i was sent to live with my maternal grandparents. who were strict southern baptists (my mother was a little wild at the time to say the least), and i was also made to go to church with my great-grandmother who was a very strict united pentecostal, when my grandparents cut my hair and allowed me to wear pants, shorts, and short sleeve shirts my great grandmother told me i was going to hell, at this time i was only five or six and scared the crap out of me because even then i knew what there concept of hell it was instilled in me every sunday twice a day and every wednesday night when we had to go to church, but my grandparents should have never taught me to read at an early age lol i questioned everything i read, and the only answer i really ever got was because "the bible said so" i also had very vivid dreams, many that came to pass and was told that they were prophetic by my great grandmother but that didn't seem to mesh well with the fact that i had short hair and wore pants, so she didn't understand why i was able to have them, i was also very intune with nature and animals, we lived in a very rural area so it was all around me, and i fell in love with the shape of the trees, especially the large oaks, and we had a pecan orchard too so i was surrounded by trees and squirrels, possums, raccoons and really anything that could make home there. we also had horses and dogs and i always felt more of a connection to the nature surrounding me then i did people. the older i got and the more i could understand what i read out of the bible the more i questioned it and would debate it with my family, and i would read anything on "the paranormal" i loved reading about ghosts, and hauntings and witches, but was told that i shouldn't but i'm stubborn so i did it anyways. my grandfather believed in spirits so he didn't mind it, but my grandmother said it was not real but i couldn't come to terms with it not being real so i continued to believe in it, and when i pointed out that there were spirits in the bible she just gave me the don't question me look. when i was about fifteen i became really sick (all of a sudden i lost control of my legs, they constantly spasmed and i couldn't walk) and had a lot of time to read so i read my whole entire bible and just found tons of contradictions after i'd been told a lifetime that god did not contradict himself i pointed out these contradictions to my grandfather (i could always talk to him about most things) and even he saw them and stopped going to church, he still believes in god but he also sees the corruption of christianity and just kind of gave up on it. because i was so sick at the time i was put on hospital/homebound for school and did my studies at home, i found on the days that i was taken outside i always felt better i felt more at peace and more natural, my grandfather noticed this too so he set me up a table outside and made it a little safer for me to move around so i wouldn't have to have so much assistance (crutches and uneven brick steps don't mix well lol) i continued to go to church with my grandmother out of respect for her but always felt angry and cold after the sermons because of the closemindedness of the pastor and other church members, so i started looking for something that was more me, and what i believed, i found paganism and researched many of the sub parts of it and found kitchen witchery and hedgewitchery and felt the two went hand in hand for me so this is what i've followed for the past few years. i'm not really out to my family besides my husband he's from india and he's hindu so he understands and silently supports me. i think my grandfather knows but its one of those don't ask don't tell things, and my grandmother and now my mother have no idea they just think i'm stubborn and like to debate theology and philosophical matters and love nature and making things, which i am stubborn and i love to debate and i love to craft things from nature, and i love to cook. so now i'm done with this really long reply, you may want to rest your eyes for a few minutes after reading all this lol

There's a lot of reason surrounding that. But my primary reason "jumping" into paganism, is because it doesn't have any binding rules or stupid dogma. I love it because of its flexibility! My number two reason is because the more I read and learn about (Neo) Paganism, the more I realized my heart's calling. Sounds stupid and cliche, but it's true.
    His dream becomes a cruel reality, her reality becomes an illusive dream
    His paradise becomes an eternal hell, her hell becomes a transient paradise

::FANGED AND FABULOUS::

Would you come with me in my slow descent to madness?

I know this is an older thread, but I want to respond

I don't consider myself new to paganism or old to it, so I guess I'm middling. I grew up in a pagan friendly household, so I've always been aware of it - especially tarot. My mom had a deck and at least once a year she'd read everyone's cards and I never knew that this wasn't the "usual" - I thought all my friend's mom's did the same thing. She also did aura readings, numerology, and runes. When it finally hit me that my family was different was at my eleventh birthday party. My mom read tarot for most of my friends and they were all really excited and hadn't had it done before. I was surprised as this was completely normal for me. I got my first tarot deck that year and my runes, palmistry books, and aura reading books came soon after. Though, like my mother, what I really latched onto was the tarot.

On the other hand, my family was very against "religion." Religion meaning anything Abrahamic. They were both very spiritual, however, when my grandmother (dad's side of the family, Very Roman Catholic) tried to take my sister and I to church on a regular basis my parents freaked out. They had been exposed to a lot of the negative sides of Catholicism as my mom had gone to strict Catholic schools and my dad had been raised in a strict Catholic family. They had both rebelled from that and had created their own spirituality and didn't want what they had fled from forced on me. They wanted my sister and I to pick our own path without guilt or pressure from my family.

I started discovering Wicca consciously at 11 when my dad took me to the local occult shop and bought me Cunningham's books, some candles, and a few other tools. Soon after that I started to practice. I continued to do so until I was 16 or 17 when life intervened. I'm 21 and looking to get back to it because of the peace and rightness that I felt while practicing.

My very earliest memories are of me walking around with a "wand" pretending to be a good witch, somehow I knew there were real witches who were not how TV made them appear. Then in 1999 my friend told me about Wicca during Sunday school at church and I went home to look it up. It still astounds me how well it fits my beliefs, I don't have to twist things around to have them make sense!
    Aeryn

I had heard the word 'paganism' mentioned by a friend years ago, but thought nothing of it.

Then earlier this year (I was 15 at the time) I read "The Mists of Avalon", and was mystified by the strange religion and thoughts the characters had. I realised later that it was paganism that they were talking about, and that it was very real, as the book was based off the Arthurian legends, at the end of pre-Christian Britain.

I was completely enchanted. I had always felt spiritual, but never religious at all, I was just agnostic. I always associated religion with Abrahamic faiths, and though I was not sceptical of religion or anything like that, I didn't feel it had anything for me whatsoever. But I read about paganism on Wikipedia, and for a while read every article I could find on there -- I searched for the Goddess and goddess-following faiths, and found Wicca.

At the time I thought it was perfect -- Wiccans follow the Goddess (I have always thought that the only 'deity' or underlying force must be Earth itself, personified as a Mother). I've been reading lots of books on it since there. Since then however I have strayed away from thinking about following the Wiccan path, because of how much magic emphasised, and I do not want to perform spellwork or attempt to manipulate anything, only to have my own intrapersonal faith expressed, perhaps through, at most, ritual. I was much more interested in the Goddess rather than the Horned God, who I didn't think I felt particularly strongly towards, and I have never really felt much for twin polar deities. So then, maybe Dianic Wicca. But so far I haven't figured myself out.

So yeah, 15. The day I really decided I would research and learn everything I could about paganism, probably the day I first really felt a pagan, was 26th March. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    (I have always thought that the only 'deity' or underlying force must be Earth itself, personified as a Mother).
    Hello, Cirrus, and welcome to MysticWicks!

This is pretty close to how I feel, and there are a few others of this beliefset floating around here, too. I encourage you to check out the Path-specific sub-fora here: check out the Dianics, by all means; but also the Pantheists, the non-theists, and the Kitchen/Cottage/Greenwitches. There is great information and guidance to be found all over the place.

I also cannot strongly enough recommend Glenys Livingstone's Pagaian Cosmology. It is an amazing book, if densely written, and it's a guide to a much more naturally-based Paganism than you find in most easily-available Paganism books.

Glad to have you on-board!
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

I'm not sure if I'm a new or 'older' pagan... I remember the first time I set my eyes on a set of rune stones, which would be the first time I actually got consciously in touch with something 'pagan', which was when I was 10 or 11.. But I didn't come across the term 'pagan' or 'paganism' until I was around 14.
    I think it's also the mystery of certain subjects (runes, tarot, magic and spells, concepts such as the Wheel of the Year, but also mythology) that attracts me. I just find it so fascinating to interact with ancient ways of the world, ways that hold so much mystery and magic, more than most people can dream about...
    But above all, I haven't come across any other more loving kind of religion/lifestyle than paganism... I didn't exactly rationally chose to follow this lifestyle, but it just came it me as I grew, I suppose, don't know how else to describe it.. It just comes natural.
    Again, I don't know if I'm old or new.. I do have quite some knowledge concerning paganism (and ofc understanding, without that knowledge would be a joke...), though there are a lot of people who know muuuuuch much more than me. I'm not exactly inexperienced, though maybe not that really experienced either... Okay now I'm confusing myself, I guess I'm not the best person to determine that.. XD
    Last edited by Paulienm; August 16th, 2009 at 02:39 PM.

As a kid I use to run around my backyard wearing a sheet as a cape and a tree branch as a wand or something. I would gather leaves, berries, rocks, and twigs and throw then into a large bucket of water that I'd place in the shade of a large tree. Then I'd stir the water with the things in it while calling the winds. These moments were prompted by the belief that there was something outhere and I was trying to connect with it. I grew up in a family that practiced folk magic. My mother to this day regards herself as a daughter of mother nature and my dad( rest in peace) was well known in the community for his remedies and divinatory skills. While in high school I met a couple people involved in Satanism, Wicca, Santeria, and Gypsy magic. So all of that pretty much brought me to where I am now.

It started with me from a book...I believe a Raven Silverwolf book. But it was one her fictional ones, not her "informational" books. I was intrigued so I decided to do some research online. I liked it because I felt it accepted all people. I was 13 at the time. I wasn't very into any religions and I lost interest quickly, perhaps a few months later.

At 15 I was feeling kind of...empty I guess? Without any religious views I decided to look into studying different kinds of religion again. I knew the ground work and a good (and older) friend of mine helped me understand paganism better when I spoke to her. Just before I turned 16 I converted back to Paganism, this time not just as a Wiccan as I called myself when I was 13 but as an ecelectic pagan. This time I studied harder than before.

When I listened to the charge of the goddess for the first time I got chills and I knew this is what I beleived. It was beautiful and free and best of all accepting. Something all religions should be. I loved the balance of everything and the sensibility. That's what truly drew me back into paganism.

I consider myself not-so-new and yet not old to paganism.

I mainly had an appeal towards magic and nature. Always feeling a drawing towards it. Especially heavily wooded areas.

A whole hell of delays occurred but it could not deter me from this path.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast