Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How long did you 'study' for before starting to practice?

is offline Constantly found with her nose in a book
    I studied Paganism, Wicca specifically, for a few years before I decided to do anything about it. However, I was also researching a lot of religions at the time. I was about 13 or so and wasn't sure about whether Catholicism was the right path for me, I knew that I believed in something but I wasn't sure what it was. So I started looking into different religions and learning a bit about them (unfortunately I have forgotten a lot of it which sucks) and I found myself more drawn to Wicca than to the others. It was the nature bit, I have to say. I read books for years before I did anything, but that might also be because I'm a bookworm!

About 8 years later, I'm no longer Wiccan, I guess pagan with kitchen witch tendencies might cover it. I no longer draw a line between studying and practicing, because there is no line between my path and my life. My whole life is a spiritual act, every time I cook a meal, make a cup of tea, spend time with my friends or go outside I'm honouring the divine.

I wouldn't say that there is a right way to start. If you feel like you want to start incorporating things that you have learnt (or things that you have thought of) into your life then I wouldn't worry about how long you have been reading books. In my opinion, your intuition is a great guide (although don't be afraid to ask for advice or help, its a sign of wisdom itself you know ).
    Imagine a beautiful meadow in a forest with many paths leading to it. It doesn't matter how you get to the meadow so long as you get there without harming anyone or anything along the way.

Hmm.

Well... some things I was doing were pagan in nature before I discovered what a 'pagan' really was.

For things such as casting a circle and other magick... not long at all. I'm more of a hands-on person, so if I feel comfortable trying something right away, I do.

I think that is the biggest factor to consider - are you comfortable doing it - do you feel confident enough in yourself to do it?

If you do, then I don't see the harm in trying. If you are unsure, or full of self-doubt... then wait a bit, learn a little more, explore... and when you're ready... go for it.
    Smart-assery provided free of charge.

Der Mann, Der Tiger, Die Legende

Ghosted by ~Elise~ & Master Kodiak

Hmm, I read solidy every day for about 3 months before doing anything pratical -- I'm pedantic so I need to know everything I can before I do things. That was during my initial 'seeking' and now I've found my actual spiritual path through much more reading; I'm still studying but I've started my pratical stuff along side it. The latter kind of merged the pratical and the study came hand in hand, there's only so much one can learn from books after all.

It's just a case of feeling ready, usually one will know. There's nothing wrong with reading for a year or two beforehand (heck I did!), there's not rush afterall.
    Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe.
    Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you.
    Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature.
    From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.

Marcus Aurelius

i had been studying for a year before practicing, but i am now beginning to practice, it's been fun...
    i don't need your pity, it's like poison to me.

I started practicing a few months into studying. I kinda practiced while studying. I 'm a hands on learner.

is offline Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
    I started to practice as soon as I figured out that I was drawn to Religio Romana. I put a candle on a table. lit it and meditated upon the Gods/Goddesses. My whole train of thought is that if you have the right intentions that it shouldn't matter how many tools or books that you have. I now know more about my relgious path, but I will be forever learning things about it. If I had waited until I had gained all of the knowledge that I could I would never have started to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnSage View Post
    so how long did you study your path before you became a practicing pagan/witch/what you call yourself?

I don't recall exactly, but as soon as I had something to practice.
    Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ
    http://helleneste.wordpress.com/
    http://www.hellenion.org

I begin to sing of Pallas Athene, the glorious goddess, bright-eyed, inventive, unbending of heart, pure virgin, saviour of cities, courageous, Tritogeneia. From his awful head wise Zeus himself bare her arrayed in warlike arms of flashing gold, and awe seized all the gods as they gazed. But Athena sprang quickly from the immortal head and stood before Zeus who holds the aegis, shaking a sharp spear: great Olympus began to reel horribly at the might of the bright-eyed goddess, and earth round about cried fearfully, and the sea was moved and tossed with dark waves, while foam burst forth suddenly: the bright Son of Hyperion stopped his swift-footed horses a long while, until the maiden Pallas Athene had stripped the heavenly armour from her immortal shoulders. And wise Zeus was glad. And so hail to you, daughter of Zeus who holds the aegis!
    - THE HOMERIC HYMNS - XXVIII. TO ATHENA

I think I sort of started practicing before I started studying. I would just sort made spells and such up, just did whatever felt right.

I have been studying for about a year, give or take a few months. I've only performed one ritual and some very simple spells. I had a lot of pagan beliefs before I even knew that paganism existed, though.

It's all up to each individual.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnSage View Post
    so how long did you study your path before you became a practicing pagan/witch/what you call yourself?

I started practising rituals and spontaneous expressions of spirituality that seemd right to me, gradually froming form this my "own religion" several years before I stumbled onto books about Wicca... I studied Wicca and numerous other pagan paths over the years, but as none of them could match the perfect fit of my custome made religion, I ultimately kept the shape and bones of the religion I first made up for myself, though I was able to glean useful information from the others.

Over the last 20 years it has changed and grown with me, even more comfortable than before and so much a part of me that I scarcely practice anymore, I just live as an embodiement of my beliefs.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast