Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How long did you 'study' for before starting to practice?

I have been on and off. To me, it has been a dynamic relationship. When younger, I had very negative feelings towards religion. Then, two and a half years ago, I realized that I wanted and needed something, and stubled across Wicca through a friend. So, I began researching, and practiced for a few months. Then I sort of went through a nervous and uncertain period, so stayed away, until I realized that my fear was silly, and that I finally had found what was right for me, so I started practicing again. The last two months, I have prayed, but not done a lot of rituals or celibrations, because school has been very challenging. But I still wear my necklace. Havent taken it off in one and a half year, actually. I still feel connected to the universe.

So, for me, finding my path, knowing how to do it, has been a journey that has depended on the rest of my life. And I dont feel that I am in a hurry.
    Sometimes Ill go outside when it is dark, and pray under the stars. It`s the small things that will help you on your way. You can study, and still look up the spirits, for example by taking a walk, touching the trees, feeling water in a pond, or something similar.
    "... Suspect I may, yet not directly tell:
    For being both to me, both to each friend,
    I guess one angel in another's hell;
    The truth I shall not know, but live in doubt,
    Till my bad angel fire my good one out..."

-Shakespeare-

In some respects I was practicing before I ever started studying. When I finally started getting books on it I jumped in almost immediately. I was doing Tarot in the 8th grade and I remember going through Buckland's exercises in highschool.

"Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." --Mark Twain

If having a deep disdain for entertaining the cerebrally challenged in politics makes one a bigot than the Queen Bigot am I.

If you search for the laws of harmony, you will find knowledge
    ~temple wall in Luxor~

I remember knowing how to cast spells for as long as I've had memory. I was a great 'wisher', so I guess I've been practicing as long as I've been alive. I didn't know there were still people who believed in ancient Deities until I was in my twenties( the late 90's). When I was a child I always wondered why people stopped worshiping many Gods to follow only one. It made me very happy to know I wasn't the only person who felt that way and I dived right in.

It surprises me to see so many people here who say they do not cast spells or that they are holding back on that part of things for some reason. I realize that the practice of magic is not a part of all pagan paths but it makes me curious. Magic to me is like breathing. I don't ever remember not doing it, even when I was studying the Christian faith and considering baptism, or during my atheist phase(which followed the Christian one, if that tells you anything). I just knew it was real and that it was my given right to use it. The Christians I was involved with couldn't convince me I was doing anything wrong by using what I considered my God given ability. I mean if He made everything, then He knew all about it, right? That paradox, along with a lot of others in that belief, led me to abandon all belief in any Deity for a while.

But I never stopped doing magic. Eventually I found some books on Wicca, dedicated myself to the Old Way( yeah, I know, it's not so Old) and kept refining my path from there. I don't think I've been truly Wiccan since that first year. I found and was trained in an eclectic Pagan grove, that gave me the confidence to form my system of practice and worship. Though my rituals are still pretty Wiccan in frame work, my path has included too many other things to be considered Wicca for a long time.

So I have to ask, why are you not doing magic( if you aren't)? No judgments about it, I'm just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderdawn View Post
    So I have to ask, why are you not doing magic( if you aren't)? No judgments about it, I'm just curious...
    Speaking for myself, I always thought I would mess up royally if I tried practicing before I knew absolutely all I could from "studying". I realize now this is stupid and you can't learn until you practice. But now my problem is lack of time - I would SO practice and get more involved in my own spirituality if I just had some time...

Honestly, 7 years down the line and I'm still in the studying stage

However, I'm slowly starting to actually experience my path instead of just reading up for it Makes a lot of difference. I guess I haven't really felt sure of myself, spiritually, until now.

I'm still studing. I am just getting used to doing things, the traditional way. I sometimes( mostly) do my own thing, mixed with traditional.
    I feel its a life long journey.
    "Everything is as it should be." Anon.

"True language speaks with one voice and is heard by all hearts." Gaia

BOO I've been ghosted

http://brigidrose.etsy.com
    http://GemMagicbyBrigidrose.winkelf.com

I started practicing with my first garden. I started reading to learn more. My Dad gave me my first little herb plot and I began reading about what I could use them for and in what regions the herbs would flourish. It just grew from there.

Um...like two years I would say.

I was adopted by an pagan family at 14. I learned the rules and laws, saw their alters, talked with them about it, and decided that I would also like to be a part of it. They iniated me at 16...So I haven't been truely practicing for that long, but yeah.

Keep in mind no matter how long you study, you will still mess up. I have a journal full of mistakes.

I don't believe any of us ever stop studying

Lightbulb When to start...

I wouldn't try to define a right answer for everyone or every path, but here is how I work with this question on my Druid path...
    The time required depends entirely upon the person, and the place they give their spiritual practice in their lives. If you study and practice once a week your progress will be much slower than if you work at it every day, and every day is slower than working on it all the time no matter where you are (i.e. changing your perspective so that you are looking at everything you think, say, and do through the eyes of your spirituality all day every day).

Basically, the way we work the first things you learn are how to ground, centre, and shield (i.e. you must do it every day, and be able to do it effectively without referring to a book); meet and establish a strong relationship with your Spirit Guides; follow a method of self-healing; understand the natural cycle and the Laws of Nature; practice at least one form of meditation or spirit journey; and establish an intimately familiar, working relationship with whatever Gods you expect to govern your work (i.e. be able to recount their basic stories, know their symbolic plants and animals, the landscapes and seasons with which they are associated, and have met and worked with them to prepare yourself over an extended period of time during which you have established strong bonds of trust and love). During this process you would also be working on developing ethics and discernment, without which you cannot perform any magical or ceremonial function safely.

All of this you would learn before ever casting a spell or attending a circle ceremony. Only when you have mastered all of these, would you start formally learning about energy (different polarities, energetic signatures, magical ethics, how to raise, direct, focus, store and send energy), how to develop your subtle senses, the power of intention versus motive (more ethics), constructing simple traditional spells, the basics of ritual -- all the basic magical and ceremonial skills as most people define them.

Sound like a lot? Well, that's only the tip of the iceberg -- which is why study and practice never end! I personally do not believe that any of us ever becomes an expert. We advance on the path, but there is always an infinite road behind and ahead of us, and people before and behind as well. Being "ahead" or, or "behind" someone else (even with the same person) is usually relative to the specific topic. There will always be things they know that you do not and things you know that they do not -- so one of the chief skills we must all practice is readiness; if we are always ready to listen, we will discern when to speak and when to fade back and simply *absorb*.

May you be blessed on your journeys, wherever they may lead you!
    Last edited by Morgaine_cla; January 15th, 2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: format
    * Three first parts of Understanding: An Eye to see what is; A Heart to feel what is; and a Boldness that dares to follow them. *

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderdawn View Post
    i assume this question was directed at me? i'll answer anyways ^_^
    I've done some stuff, it's not that i'm "not doing magic"...i dunno i guess it's sort of complicated.
    I'm not "out of the broom closet" with my family because my mom is christian and has expressed to me in the past that paganism is evil and the work of the devil so i haven't been able to bring myself to tell her yet. so part of it is that i don't feel comfortable doing things in my house atm and part of it is that i've been very busy the last few months so i haven't even been studying much, very sadly.
    Once i'm able to devot more time to it, i plan on interlacing the two, studying and practicing, as like others have expressed here, studying is part of the journey and will never stop.

"To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter; to be thrilled by the stars at night: to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring... these are some of the rewards of the simple life."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast