Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion in the classroom

Religion in the classroom

Today my son brought home a newsletter from his kindergarten class, it's something the teacher is going to be doing monthly to keep us up to date with what's happening in class.

This month their themes are going to be pumpkins, thanksgiving (Canadian) and Halloween.

The newsletter said, "along with the Thanksgiving theme we will begin saying grace before snack and lunch."

Now.... I'm trying really hard to remain calm and not over react. However, inside I'm actually livid, to the point of being sick to my stomach and shaking.

This is a public school. Religion is not allowed in our public schools.

My husband is Atheist and I do not believe in the indoctrination of children. I do not believe that children should be involved in religious activity until they are of an age to really understand what religion means - this includes 'giving thanks' or saying 'grace'. My child doesn't even know who/what God is yet. We've never discussed the concept, and I don't intend to until I think he's old enough to appreciate it.

*Deep breath*

My husband feels we should right a letter to the teacher, school and school board expressing our feelings over this. Because I'm trying to remain calm, I think I should get clarification from the teacher of what this 'grace' entails, before going off the deep end.

For what it's worth I live in a very deeply Catholic/Ukrainian area. Ukrainian language and Catholic classes are an option in the school. Not that that excuses anything.

So, what would you do?
    To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater. - Bono

Writing a letter is probably the way to go. In person you are more likely to lose your temper, and that doesn't help anybody. That is not cool that they are doing this in a public school, large numbers of Catholics in the area notwithstanding. If there are that many Catholics, surely they can put together some type of private Catholic schooling that does not suck up your tax dollars.
    “A book must be the pick ax that shatters the frozen sea within us.”

-Franz Kafka

[SIGPIC]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/EmberNichole7/Banners/Book%20Club/bookclub4.png[/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to Lilith Morgaine for the gorgeous Book Club banners!

“For a wise, a knowing and a learned people are the least likely of any in the world to be enslaved.”
    —Samuel Webster, 1777

To change one's life:
    Start immediately.
    Do it flamboyantly.
    No exceptions.
    - William James

Check out my new place! http://baile-dragan.myminicity.com/ind/

My husband looked into the Alberta school act a little more closely... Apparently our school act is separate from the rest of the country. As part of the Alberta confederation we were allowed to write our own school act. So what our act says is that religion is allowed in public schools. However if someone challenges it in court (as other provinces have) the court would rule that prayer violates the charter of rights and freedoms.

In Canada we have freedom from religion, and prayer in school is considered to be forcing religion on children. Only thing is, no one in Alberta has never complained sufficiently enough for it to be brought to court.
    To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater. - Bono

I would send a letter certified mail or send reciept requested so they know you are serious right off the bat to take it to court if need be. I would send a calm letter to the teacher first politely asking that they respect your position with your child. Also add a time limit, like please respond with 2 days or whatever otherwise we will be taking it up with the principle.

Emails are good to if you can get that because it's quicker and gives a good record as well.

If that fails apparently your only other option is court, which personally I would be willing to go that route if need be.

Here in the states at least, there have been many suits against schools and the school have always lost so even mentioning to the teacher can be a good deterrent.

The case on the pledge in school 'one nation under god' was actually shot down on a technicality so the case can still be brought up at any time.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

It is still that way in my neck of the woods, but only at the elementary level. The lords prayer, used to be recited every day as the students rolled their eyes. I'm almost positive it is still that way at the local elementary schools anyway, I'll ask my neighbor's kid.

I believe the letter would be the best bet. Remind the school that you live in a multicultural and religiously free nation. I believe that may get the point across.

Use certified mail, and the 'respond within XX days' (makes it sound official) even if you don't want to goto court over it, just appearing that you may will give your letter more weight. I would certianly at least take it to the principle level.

I don't know if Canada has an organization like this http://www.ucla.edu/ but they like to take up cases like this.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Canada, land of the free...wait...Healthcare! yes!
    I lived in Calgary my whole life. In Elementary school we had priests come to the school and pass out bibles. Then, it was no big deal, I didn't care 'cause I was a kid.

Now, If that happened. I'd be livid.

We Albertians arn't complainers. But don't step on our toes!

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst Rose View Post
    My husband looked into the Alberta school act a little more closely... Apparently our school act is separate from the rest of the country. As part of the Alberta confederation we were allowed to write our own school act. So what our act says is that religion is allowed in public schools. However if someone challenges it in court (as other provinces have) the court would rule that prayer violates the charter of rights and freedoms.

In Canada we have freedom from religion, and prayer in school is considered to be forcing religion on children. Only thing is, no one in Alberta has never complained sufficiently enough for it to be brought to court.
    I'm available for Tarot Readings

An artist is only an artist on condition that he neglects no aspect of his dual nature. This dualism is the power of being oneself and someone else at one and the same time. - Charles Baudelaire

Alrighty.... I talked with my son's teacher today. Or rather, I asked questions that she never fully answered and she gave explanations meant to placate me.

I asked what grace would entail, she never told me. She did tell me, however, that it's been going on in the classroom for the last 25 years with the previous teacher (like that would make it better).

She said that other parents have talked to her about it, and the kids can sit quietly during it. I told her I didn't even want Quint doing that because if he hears it during the day he will eventually be saying it.

She said that she's had complaints from both sides - parents have complained that it hasn't been said. I wanted to say 'f' those parents, it doesn't belong in the school. I told her I thought it was hightly inappropriate to be in the school and I didn't want my son hearing it at all.

I asked her if there was any chance of it being stopped completely, and she never answered that question (which to me means 'no').

So, I went to the principal, who is also new this year. Told him that I didn't think she was taking my concern seriously and that I wanted grace out of the classroom completely. He said he'd talk to her. Which, again, is no resolution.

So here I am, stuck at home, not knowing what's going to go on before snack time, in one hour.

I feel that I have solved nothing, talking to these two people. Yet, they were both nice enough in listening to my concerns that to take it a step farther and send the letters I wrote (threatening legal action), without any proof of lack of resolution, would be overly agressive.

Any ideas what I should do now?

my problem isnt that it's in the school::
    -- that all sides aren't being offered....
    --- That they are trying to instil thought patterns and tendencies into the heads of those unable to decide and think for themselves.

I find that a form or predatation.

“Truth flows from universal law, not from personal views.” ~~ John G Agno

I feel for you. One of my fears is that someday (when I have children) they'll be indoctrinated and I won't even know it. At least you received a newsletter so you could act on it. But it's so hard to wait and feel as if you don't have control over the situation.

I'd follow the others' advice and write a certified letter (and keep a copy for yourself) and send a copy to the teacher, principal, and school-board if this isn't straightened out soon.
    ‘Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ
    http://helleneste.wordpress.com/
    http://www.hellenion.org

I begin to sing of Pallas Athene, the glorious goddess, bright-eyed, inventive, unbending of heart, pure virgin, saviour of cities, courageous, Tritogeneia. From his awful head wise Zeus himself bare her arrayed in warlike arms of flashing gold, and awe seized all the gods as they gazed. But Athena sprang quickly from the immortal head and stood before Zeus who holds the aegis, shaking a sharp spear: great Olympus began to reel horribly at the might of the bright-eyed goddess, and earth round about cried fearfully, and the sea was moved and tossed with dark waves, while foam burst forth suddenly: the bright Son of Hyperion stopped his swift-footed horses a long while, until the maiden Pallas Athene had stripped the heavenly armour from her immortal shoulders. And wise Zeus was glad. And so hail to you, daughter of Zeus who holds the aegis!
    - THE HOMERIC HYMNS - XXVIII. TO ATHENA

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast