Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pagan Groups Being Watched?

Originally posted by Puma Hime
    Who cares who sees which pages? :

Tee-Hee...very punny!!!!

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!

Angry

i don't understand the apathy here. this is a political issue being discussed in the political forum. nobody is saying we need to raise the call and march on these people, just that it's an interesting subject. we've had discussions here about burning Harry Potter books, about Wicca being challenged as not a 'real' religion, about many related topics.
    as far as the 'who cares' attitude, the same could be said of every discussion in every forum on this board. then where would we be?
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Grieving, Accepting, Still Loving & Missing Him
    Originally posted by Greenman
    i don't understand the apathy here. this is a political issue being discussed in the political forum. nobody is saying we need to raise the call and march on these people, just that it's an interesting subject. we've had discussions here about burning Harry Potter books, about Wicca being challenged as not a 'real' religion, about many related topics.
    as far as the 'who cares' attitude, the same could be said of every discussion in every forum on this board. then where would we be?
    I have to agree. We're tired of it and it pisses us off, but this is reality. I live in an area where I could lose my job if I was too open about my faith. In fact, it's already caused me problems. I helped organize the pagan community in the small town that I live in, and we had meet and greets in the meeting room of the restaurant that my son and I both work in part-time. At the beginning, I asked everyone to keep it low-key not for myself, but because my son has worked there for a long time. The manager is openly Christian (but we won't discuss her own lifestyle and that of her family)........They got a bit carried away, setting up an altar in the room and doing little workshops on making ritual robes and such, and I found my hours cut in half. I'm not making a stink for the sake of my son, but I am 100% sure that this is the reason why, since next to him I'm the best hostess they have. I've stopped meeting with that group for this and various other reasons, but I'm still thrilled that they have grown in leaps and bounds and that I helped build that foundation.

It's just real life. These groups can cause problems, and it behooves us all to remain aware that they're still out there ready to pounce if they can get away with it.
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

is offline Bewitched, bothered & bewildered
    Greenman, we have been watched all along...I have always known this. And so have you. The only difference is now alot more of us know.

We are watched by everybody...and I mean everybody. Wiccan's and Pagan's represent some kind of threat to so many. The governments watches to see if we organize against them, the Christians from fear, the extremest of all kinds because we are free thinkers and see through their garbage.

Greenman, IMO it isn't really apathy...it is going on with our lives the best we know how inspite of what we know others think of us. We take our stands in our homes, our communities and where needed. We don't seek out to "get" or "watch" others. Do as ye will as long as it harms none.

Each day we draw breath as Pagans and treat people with dignity, compassion and human decency we defeat these kind of folks.
    "One out of every four people in this world is mentally unstable. Think
    of your three best friends. If they seem normal, you're the one." --- Ann Landers

Well-spoken, Materra. I agree.

So these folks are "watching" us. Big deal--let 'em! **Shrugs** As Semele said, maybe they'll learn something. As long as there's no outright harassment going on, more power to 'em--and if there is outright harassment, you deal with it on an incident-to-incident basis.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all convictions, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

I must add that I would have to challenge anyone to find anything but love, dignity, compassion and human decency on this or most of the other pagan boards and lists. I also own one but it's an illness support list for pagans so probably isn't in their faces as blatantly.

Thanks, Materra. Excellent point.
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

The Goddess Cafe

Materra you've made an excellent point - by putting any website online we *know* people who don't agree with are going to see it. We *know* people are always watching. And as Semele said, maybe they'll learn something, maybe one out of the thousands will stop and consider Paganism as real and valid. And conversely, maybe a thousand Pagans will find information, community, support, research, help, and spiritual advancement.

If we were to suggest those people couldn't create their clubs and websites because we disagree with their motives, who are we to say they can't do the same to us? Freedom must apply to everyone. As Xois used to say, feel free to swing your fists as much as you want, as long as you don't pop someone in the face.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    my comments weren't about whether or not we're being 'watched'. i was commenting about the cold shouldered way that this thread has been recieved.
    it's an interesting topic about an important subject. but it seems that Freyja is being told rather off-handedly "who cares, we're just getting on with it".
    THAT is what i'm objecting to, and i don't understand the reason. perhaps more smileys would make it a topic worthy of discussion?
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

(((((Greenman))))) I posted it only because I thought it was of interest and that there are some who might be concerned. No worries, this is a good discussion and my feelings aren't an issue
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

Come Dream With Me...

The Goddess Cafe

I am assistant manager of one of these communities and a dedicant of the Witchschool (they are Correllian Tradition). I am appauled, shocked, dismayed and most of all scared s**tless.... so many of my friends' communities have been wiped out (including Tintagel, my own, nearly two winters ago) by people like this who figure the only way to 'shut us up' is to take away our means of communication with each other.

It's frightening...

B*B

Rae )O(
    No biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast