Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Still dead...

Cool deal... Really impressive list.

(You're missing Harm None, the first RGI book though - LOL)

Seriously, very neat deal there.
    M. R. Sellars
    Author of The Rowan Gant Investigations
    Harm None * Never Burn A Witch * Perfect Trust * The Law Of Three * Crone's Moon * Love Is The Bond * All Acts Of Pleasure * The End Of Desire * Blood Moon * Miranda (Coming 2009)
    www.mrsellars.com

I received the order from Willow Tree Press today and was completely thrilled to find not only the books, in great shape, too by the way, but also a few extras. There were booklets of previews for not yet published books, that are from popular writers such as yourself ( those have been published) and one from Dorothy Morrison, a fiction work she's done that isn't released yet. And the best part of the books was you've signed them! Thanks! That's wonderful. I have so few books signed by the authors that this makes them even better.

Thank you for recommending Willow Tree. They ship very quickly, which is something I truly appreciate as I read a bit fast. I look forward to reading these newest additions to my ever-growing library.

So when will there be any new works hot off the press from mrsellars? (Since you have such a great inside scoop, I thought I'd ask.) Is there any plan for another trilogy, or do you prefer to not plan these things?

How did you come up with the idea of Rowan in the first place, is he modeled after anyone in particular?
    Last edited by Ladybug1258; December 9th, 2008 at 11:54 PM.

Let me see if I can address all of this in one shot without missing anything LOL!

Hmmmm.... Morrison's fiction book came out at the same time Blood Moon hit the stores. I'll bet the booklet probably said pre-release on it or something. Probably some old sampler booklets they are getting rid of before using the new ones. They are big on recycling/using everything, so they won't throw those away. So, anyway, Morrison's book - Lucinda's Web - is already released and available.

Glad you got some good ones... Some are more dinged up than others. And, yeah, since I live in St. Louis, whenever they get orders they have me stop by and sign them if I have time (or if it is requested on the sales order)... Unfortunately though, I'm the only one who can do that as the other authors, such as Morrison, live out of state.

As for a new book, Miranda: A Rowan Gant Investigation is slated to come out in October next year. As to doing another trilogy, you never know. That one just kind of happened. I mean, it's still a part of the RGI series, and it was originally intended to be a single book, but the story just got way too big and turned into a trilogy and some change.

Rowan himself is a composite of many different people in my life, but he was actually born of another character from a manuscript I wrote almost 30 years ago that was never published (thankfully, because it wasn't very good LOL)... Either way, I took that character - a female Witch by the name of Wendy, btw - and turned it (her) into Rowan Gant. The rest is...well, not exactly history, but it's books...

Murv

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug1258 View Post
    I received the order from Willow Tree Press today and was completely thrilled to find not only the books, in great shape, too by the way, but also a few extras. There were booklets of previews for not yet published books, that are from popular writers such as yourself ( those have been published) and one from Dorothy Morrison, a fiction work she's done that isn't released yet. And the best part of the books was you've signed them! Thanks! That's wonderful. I have so few books signed by the authors that this makes them even better.

Thank you for recommending Willow Tree. They ship very quickly, which is something I truly appreciate as I read a bit fast. I look forward to reading these newest additions to my ever-growing library.

So when will there be any new works hot off the press from mrsellars? (Since you have such a great inside scoop, I thought I'd ask.) Is there any plan for another trilogy, or do you prefer to not plan these things?

How did you come up with the idea of Rowan in the first place, is he modeled after anyone in particular?
    M. R. Sellars
    Harm None * Never Burn A Witch * Perfect Trust * The Law Of Three * Crone's Moon * Love Is The Bond * All Acts Of Pleasure * The End Of Desire * Blood Moon * Miranda (Coming 2009)
    www.mrsellars.com

Rowan Linden Gant has a much better ring to it than Wendy as names go. Very good idea to change it around that way. It obviously worked!

My son loves to write and seems to have a lot of creative ideas for stories, so may I ask if there is any helpful advice you could give me to pass along to him to keep him going as a budding writer? He's twenty, btw, in college and very undecided about what his major should be, so English had been considered at one point. Thought I'd throw that in there in case it might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug1258 View Post
    My son loves to write and seems to have a lot of creative ideas for stories, so may I ask if there is any helpful advice you could give me to pass along to him to keep him going as a budding writer? He's twenty, btw, in college and very undecided about what his major should be, so English had been considered at one point. Thought I'd throw that in there in case it might be helpful.
    Don't do it for a living unless he has a wealthy spouse with good insurance or a hell of a trust fund...

Actually, I suppose I am only partly kidding about that. Except for a very, very, few, authors generally make, at best, a low end average living. So, as for writing as a profession, unless you get very lucky, you aren't going to get rich.

So, my absolute best advice is that if you love writing... I mean truly love it... then go for it, and don't let anyone stop you. But, if it is just an eeny-meeny-miney-moe sort of "what am I going to do with my life" thing, then go with fireman or astronaut

Yeah, I know. Probably not all that helpful... But, the thing about the "authorin' business" - especially these days - is that things are changing very quickly. The shift in technology has produced a glut of books on the market - not all of them good by any means. But, competition for your share of the market is absolutely insane. Compound that with the current economy and the fact that the majority of people see books as either frivolous or a luxury item, and sales have tanked across the board.

Several large publishers have literally stopped accepting manuscripts. Several book wholesalers have laid off a good portion of their work force. To put it simply, it ain't pretty.

He'd be best off to pick a lucrative career and then write as a sideline.

Murv
    M. R. Sellars
    www.mrsellars.com

is offline Now the Official Queen of ALL Blankets!
    I won a book from you on here years ago, loved your writing, and bought several of your books afterwards. It just sucks that they're so hard to find in a normal book store. I mean, I don't expect to be able to find them here in Europe at all, but even when we were in the states, I didn't find them in any of the book stores we went to. To be honest, I think I'd rather just send you money, and you send me something that you've written, but I can see how that could be problematic. So for now, I'll wait for new books to come out and keep getting them offline. Keep up the great work!
    Site Adminstrator, (Yes, really!)
    Official Site Vixen, 100% Grade A Evil,
    Cerebral Goddess and Jelly Donut!
    subscribe to mw

Disciple #42 of Jodarius, the Random God of Thwaking.

"Even people who think they are dragons think you are crazy. How does that make you feel?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3