Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Biggest let down?

Spore, by far. It's boring and repetitive and I'd rather chew my own fingers off than spend one more minute of my life playing it.

Ugh. Games like that make me wish software retailers would accept returns.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all convictions, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Everything great of this Earth flows into this city.
    And that's why I still play my Genesis, Nintendo 64 and Super Nintendo.

Those games will never get old.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Mortus View Post
    Knights of the Old Republic II

It was a great game, but the plot was lacking and it felt really unfinished.

Recently I haven't really been let down by much.
    'Cuz it was done by Obsidian instead of BioWare, and they rushed it. Unlike the first one, which was perfect. Thank the gods for Mass Effect.

Although I'm really looking forward to SOE's upcoming RPGs: The Old Republic MMO, and Dragon Ball Online. But, I'll still play Star Wars Galaxies; never has there been a better MMO. I mean, nothing can beat the joy using a Super Stardestroyer to rape face in a fleet battle against the Rebs.

EDIT:
    Other game that was a let-down for me was City of Heroes. I played both that and City of Villains; CoV was better, but they both kinda sucked. The developers that made them were very new and very dumb. Although a nicer was of saying it is "inexperienced", it just doesn't carry the same emphasis that calling them a bunch of n00b dumbasses does.
    Last edited by Louisvillian; January 6th, 2009 at 04:27 AM.

Biggest let downs....

I'd have to say Vanguard was a HUGE letdown.

The system specification requirements were so through the roof that they literally shut out thousands of players who would have liked to play it. The game itself was terribly optimized, leading to said enormous system spec requirements that even if you met still did not make the game playable. The worst part was that, in my opinion, it was otherwise a good game. There were great graphics, huge stories and lore behind everything. It was well put together, aside from system specs that crippled EVERY player. The worst part was that the developer, you can read it on wikipedia, basically put out a letter I can only describe as admitting a huge frack up and then apologizing for the state of the game.

Kingdom Hearts 2 actually had a decent enough storyline, although it didn't seem as deep and good as the first one. The combat system was very smooth moving, and they even fixed the camera angle from the first game so it flowed so much better. However, they borked the magic system. You basically had an option at the beginning of the game of making your character high on defense, offense, or magic, and then choosing a second one to be sort of secondary high on.

In KH2 though they made it so that if you ever cast a healing/cure spell on yourself, no matter how much mana you had it would cast. And it would then deplete ALL your mana. It made being a magic caster next to impossible, and most importantly obsolete. There was also the system of making the triangle button an immediate special action, sometimes varying on the battle. In essence, you'd just press the triangle button to do something pretty and beat the crap out of your foe.

Good game, but it could have been better.

- Dumunzi

Knights of the Old Republic II has already been mentioned, and I couldn't agree more, especially when compared with KotOR one. The first was a classic!

So I'm going to nominate a few games I hate and can't even begin to understand why people like.

-Assassin's Creed: I kept seeing this game get perfect scores and honestly began to wonder if people were playing a different game than I was. A tiny game world, boring combat (once you get the counter attack ability you're officially invincible), and the same god-befrigged mini-missions every damn time. A total fart of a game.

-Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Criminally short, with some of the worst controls for a game I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. Hyped to the point of insanity, it'd be hard pressed to find a bigger let down. The targetting system was a joke, the story was forces and had zero character development, and overall it just laud a giant turd.
    "Here at the edge of this world, here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stones. If this grand panorama before me is what you call God, then God is not dead." -Agalloch, "In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion"

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    'Cuz it was done by Obsidian instead of BioWare, and they rushed it. Unlike the first one, which was perfect. Thank the gods for Mass Effect.
    Actually, as I mentioned, it wasn't Obsidian's fault, LucasArts FORCED them to complete it several months early so it would be out in time for Christmas '04 as opposed to the middle of '05. Blame Mr Beardy's company for the rush-job, not Obsidian. It would have been the same if Bioware had been working on it.

As mentioned earlier, my biggest let down was Contra III: The Alien Wars. I heard so many good things about it, and I thought the other Contra's were great(Contra Force was also bad but it doesn't count to me as part of the series), but when actually playing it, I couldn't stand it. The difficulty wrecked it, compared to the other Contra's, and the second-last-stage boss gave me motion sickness with the spinning screen. Contra Hard Corps was supposed to be harder but I found that easier- and more fun with better music. I also thought the top-down sections were utter garbage compared to Contra II's (Super C).
    Last edited by Raxeph; March 9th, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

I'd have to say that my biggest disappointment has to be Fable 2. More specifically, the end of Fable 2. I won't give it away, but I will say that there is no epic final boss battle. So don't get your hopes up.

Another one is Mirror's Edge. Great game, but it's hard to figure out where to go, especially when you're being chased by cops from NOWHERE. Seriously, how do they manage to find me EVERY LEVEL and then keep up? The Runner's Vision aid is nice, but it's missing in some crucial places.

I've actually loved a lot of the games listed, such as Spore, Oblivion, and Assassin's Creed. The Force Unleashed was nice, but didn't hold my attention long.
    Athena is my inspiration

Right now, Empire Total War is looking to be a BIG disappointment for me.
    First off, you have to use Steam in order to install and even play the game at all. And Steam is ALWAYS failing. Constantly.
    Secondly, because of it using Steam, there are no text files, meaning no modding for basic stuff like available factions, starting info, and timeframe for the game.
    Thirdly, also because of it using Steam, there is no console debug mode. Meaning no cheat codes. Meaning I won't be able to play the campaign at all. I know others might disagree, but using cheats codes is an important part of my gaming experience.

Dragon Warrior-I heard about how great it was! The leveling up was cruel and the music was blech! Even by old timey NES standards

Link to the Past-I don't understand why so many people hail this as one of the greatest Zelda games of all time.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast