Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To me it's not a IF there is life elsewhere. It's WHERE is there life elsewhere?

To me it's not a IF there is life elsewhere. It's WHERE is there life elsewhere?

How many planets do you think have life? intellegent or primative? Do you think any aliens have a system of religion? What they believe in as a creator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgg2tpUVbXQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There is no way of knowing.

Religion is not essential to a developing species, Neanderthals indicate that. As to how many planets? Well, it's a good chance that planets similar to Earth will have life - Ice covered planetoids with warm cores might also have life... but you seem to consider only intelligence as life: personally I would cream my pants over single cell organisms.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Most likely there are many planets that also have life, including intelligent life. The chances are not in favor of other planets not having life... it's actually less common sense to say there are no other intelligent beings than to say, well ya there are other intelligent lifeforms.

How many? No way to say really.... So many possibilities, the math is likely not calculable, and with entropy thrown into the mix, it isnt calculable.

I think a more comprehendable question would be that if humans will live to see another intelligent lifeform. Not to say "is there another intelligent lifeform" because to me at least, it's easy to yes, chances are there are many.

Anyway you look at it, intelligent or not, there is certianly a whole lotta life out there that exists that doesn't dwell on our little rock.

I believe though that religion is simply a by-product of intelligence as we see it at least, in that it's just another way of explaining our surroundings.

side note : dont forget about the ten rules of ear... er I mean the universe
    Last edited by Vampiel; December 16th, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

My thing is the galaxy let alone the universe is a really big place. For there not to be life on other planets would just be really strange. Now I'm up in air as to wither a lot of that life is intellegent. When it comes to religion the problem is we only have human societies to base it on. But given that every culture on the planet up to this point has had some form of religion I'm going to say its safe to assume that they do. If they do I'm sure they believe that their gods/ god/ect created them for a reason and their lives have meaning.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    There is no way of knowing.

Religion is not essential to a developing species, Neanderthals indicate that. As to how many planets? Well, it's a good chance that planets similar to Earth will have life - Ice covered planetoids with warm cores might also have life... but you seem to consider only intelligence as life: personally I would cream my pants over single cell organisms.
    As would I.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiel View Post
    Most likely there are many planets that also have life, including intelligent life. The chances are not in favor of other planets not having life... it's actually less common sense to say there are no other intelligent beings than to say, well ya there are other intelligent lifeforms.

How many? No way to say really.... So many possibilities, the math is likely not calculable, and with entropy thrown into the mix, it isnt calculable.

I think a more comprehendable question would be that if humans will live to see another intelligent lifeform. Not to say "is there another intelligent lifeform" because to me at least, it's easy to yes, chances are there are many.

Anyway you look at it, intelligent or not, there is certianly a whole lotta life out there that exists that doesn't dwell on our little rock.

I believe though that religion is simply a by-product of intelligence as we see it at least, in that it's just another way of explaining our surroundings.

side note : dont forget about the ten rules of ear... er I mean the universe
    I'm not entirely sure why I quoted you, but I'm running with it :P Ah yes the statistical probability of finding life on other planets is stacked in favor, but if you look at our concept of life entirely, perhaps we need to change that a bit to truly understand all of the possibilities that exist. A few years ago no one believed that life could exist in environments that had too much salt, were too warm, too cold, etc. Now we're finding numerous examples of extremophile species running ENTIRE ecosystems on Earth. With these possibilities expanded the probability of finding life on other planets gets even better, though our concept of life may have to change a bit to accommodate whatever interesting things we may find.

Blinkie Maker

Live Journal| Twitter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you, Catiana, for the wonderful turtle montage! :D

Quote Originally Posted by la tortuga View Post
    As would I.

I'm not entirely sure why I quoted you, but I'm running with it :P Ah yes the statistical probability of finding life on other planets is stacked in favor, but if you look at our concept of life entirely, perhaps we need to change that a bit to truly understand all of the possibilities that exist. A few years ago no one believed that life could exist in environments that had too much salt, were too warm, too cold, etc. Now we're finding numerous examples of extremophile species running ENTIRE ecosystems on Earth. With these possibilities expanded the probability of finding life on other planets gets even better, though our concept of life may have to change a bit to accommodate whatever interesting things we may find.
    I don't think we need to change our concept of life so much as change our concept of what environmental conditions are capable of supporting life.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish
    -Euripedes

No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim.
    -W. Emerson Wright

is offline Don't call down the Thunder
    I always think of that line from Contact...It'd be an awful waste of space if there wasn't (other life forms)
    *~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Resident Beotch

It seems some folks confuse "secrets" with Mysteries.
    The Mysteries aren't secret.
    They are there for whoever wishes to seek them out.
    There just aren't any shortcuts.

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

LOL, dont look at just our galaxy. Look at the universe. It has more galaxies than we know since we dont even know how big it is. Its too big for us to tell. If you look at the massive size we do know about, look at the massive amounts of galaxies. Heck, all together the oddds of life are high. Most likely there is plenty and some a lot more evolved than us.

Its not probable that there isnt life out there in all levels of development.

Our galaxy is a drop in an ocean!

Religion is not essential to a developing species, Neanderthals indicate that.
    Huh? Could you elaborate on that a bit? I mean, I know we don't exactly have paleolithic basilicas popping up on digs every day, but there's certainly some evidence of Neanderthal ritual activity (the burial at Shanidar, for instance).

I read some place long ago that the 12 signs of the Zodiac represent 12 civilizations out there in our galaxie & that Gemini has two inhabited planets making 13 civilizations,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast