Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Imbolc/Candlemass?

Well we'll have a ton of family over, like always, and we'll have a huge feast. Then we light a bunch of white candles, and any white candles that we never burned fully (like recycling) and meditate. We're making corn dolls and lavender wreaths, we'll have some sort of big ritual that will probably involve healing. My little sister will have just turned ten and will be iniated into the craft, which is always exciting. We'll sing, dance, and tell stories about why we celebrate this holiday and such. Then we leave out a bunch of white cloth and ribbons and fall asleep by it and then the next morning we eat bagels with sour cream and the cloth has been transformed by my mom into the tablecloth (only the older kids know that though) Then we hang the ribbons all around.

The second we usually do something too, but it's always like a fun field trip the adults cook up, last year we went to a farm and made our own butter (I milked a cow!)

I really only plan what to do on Esbat's, on holidays usually the whole family does something together.

Click on the eggs!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, i am doing a small ritual on February 3rd. Also, as the sun sets on Jan. 31, i will be in my home without lights on, then i'll light candle(s).
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

Oooh, everyones' plans sound fantastic!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

Quote Originally Posted by HerbGurl View Post
    I have musical playlists on my computer, and breakfast and lunch menus planned for the two days.
    What is everyone else doing for Imbolc/Candlemass? Does your being a Christo-Pagan/Christian Witch/Christian Wiccan make any difference to your celebrations?
    ooh, what's on your playlists? and what's on your menus?
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

I figured I would bump this topic up as we are getting close to that time of year!

Quote Originally Posted by zionwood View Post
    ooh, what's on your playlists? and what's on your menus?
    I cannot remember what I had on the menus at the moment, (stupid computer crashing with all of my files!)but here is the playlist for Imbolc/Candlemass as of now. I think these were all on my playlist last year, but here is this year's playlist:
    Candlemass Playlist 2010
    (Song/Artist/Album)
    Skellig , Loreena McKennitt, Book of Secrets
    Seeds of Love , Loreena McKennitt, A Midwinters Night’s Dream
    The Seven Rejoices of Mary , Loreena McKennitt, A Midwinters Night’s Dream
    Kercharitomene, Loreena McKennitt, An Ancient Muse
    Lux Aeterna , Anúna, Sensation
    Shining Water , Anúna,Sensation
    The Road of Passage , Anúna, Sensation
    An Oiche , Anúna, Cynara
    The Dawn , Anúna, Anúna,
    Winter Fire, and Snow , Anúna, Invocation
    Song of Oisin , Anúna, Invocation
    Under the Greenwood , Anúna,
    Heia Viri Anúna, Invocation
    Wind on Sea , Anúna, Invocation
    Innisfree , Anúna, Invocation
    The First Day , Anúna, Anúna,
    Homecoming , Lisa Kelly, Lisa
    The Deer’s Cry , Lisa Kelly, Lisa
    M'ionam , Capercaille, Beautiful Wasteland
    Mo Choill , Altan, Harvest Storm
    Dulaman , Altan, Island Angel
    A New Year’s Carol , Anonymous 4, Wolcum Yule - Celtic and British Songs & Carols

The playlist is mostly Celtic, with some other vocal/folk thrown in for good measure. All of the songs remind me in some way of the holiday, and winter. (And yes, I adore the vocal group Anúna, why do you ask?) I tried to do a mix of Christian and Pagan as I celebrate both aspects.

The only funny thing is that I don’t have any specific songs that mention either the Goddess Brigid, or Saint Brigid. Any suggestions there? Whenever I google St. Brighid and song, I just get pages of about how Brighid was the Celtic Goddess of bards, music and inspiration, and not actual songs. As soon as I figure out menus, I will post them. IIRC, I think they had a lot of dairy in them last year, and perhaps madeleines.
    Last edited by HerbGurl; January 3rd, 2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: organizing thoughts, since I am a spaz
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

I was going to bump this thread later this week...

My ritual will be the same as last year, quiet and solitary.
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

I am going to be really ignorant now. While I've always been deeply spiritual and connected with nature, I've only recently had the courage to embrace myself as a witch. Therefore, I'm hugely ignorant of sabbats and even candlemass. Could anyone enlighten me re imbolc (how is that even pronounced?) and candlemass, as I have no clue what they are!

I know I could google but:

1: A google explanation is never the same as one from someones heart, who loves these celebrations.

2: Just come off a night shift and am going to bed! Logging out now!

"Picasso said :"Good taste is the enemy of great art." When I was depressed, people would tell me that God loves me. I would say "Big deal. God loves everybody. That doesn't make me special, that just prooves that God has no taste!" And you know, I really don't think He does. Thank God. For he makes a masterpiece of us." - Rich Mullins

Quote Originally Posted by DaughterOfEve View Post
    I am going to be really ignorant now. While I've always been deeply spiritual and connected with nature, I've only recently had the courage to embrace myself as a witch. Therefore, I'm hugely ignorant of sabbats and even candlemass. Could anyone enlighten me re imbolc (how is that even pronounced?) and candlemass, as I have no clue what they are!

1: A google explanation is never the same as one from someones heart, who loves these celebrations.

Imbolc (pronounced im-bolk) is defined as
    Observed on February 2nd, Imbolc is the early spring sabbat which honors the virgin goddess as the young bride of the returning sun god.
    From here.

We have some threads about Imbolc in the New Pagans Forum (link to that forum is in my siggy) if you want to go look there also.

Personally, I also see it as the celebration of winter's half time and the wheel of the year rolling closer to spring.

I hope this helps.
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

QUOTE:
    The only funny thing is that I don’t have any specific songs that mention either the Goddess Brigid, or Saint Brigid. Any suggestions there?

I like Kellianna's song 'Brighid'. She has a beautiful voice- I love all her music. Her website is kellianna.com if you're interested. She has posted lyrics for her songs on the site.
    I think Lisa Thiel (sp?) also has a lovely song in honor of Her... don't have the title in front of me tho.

BTW- you all have given me some fabulous ideas for celebrating the Holiday. Thanks for sharing!
    ~nyx

Quote Originally Posted by DaughterOfEve View Post

As you may have gathered from some of the posts above, Imbolc is the time when we celebrate the new lambs being born, and the mother ewes begin producing milk to feed the baby lambs. That's why milk or dairy based dishes are traditional foods for the Imbolc festival.

In my part of the country we are deep into winter. Sure the days are getting just a little bit longer, and the nights are getting just a little bit shorter - but the weather is the coldest it will be all year. There is generally cloud cover over our heads and snow cover under our feet. It's hard to feel connected to nature in these conditions.

But by looking at the new baby lambs we are reassured that the new flowers are just a few weeks away from poking their heads above ground. We are reassured that the soft green leaves are going to start emerging from the stark tree branches. We are reassured that the sun will return and warm us once again. So weather-lore is also a part of this holiday - it's where the idea of Groundhog's Day came from.

So we light candles to remind us that the light is indeed returning, the clouds will begin to part and let the sun warm these new plants as the baby lambs are getting old enough to wander outside with their mothers and graze on the tender shoots. Some countries have an old tradition of placing a lit candle in each and every window of each and every house, or having the oldest daughter of house wear a crown of lit candles as she takes breakfast cakes and goes around to waken everyone. And that means this is also a good time to make new candles as you burn the last of the ones you made in the fall to see you through the long dark winter.

Imbolc is a time for honoring the Goddess Brigid, a fire goddess. So all the flames are also in her honor. Candlemas is the Christianized name for the holiday, and the Fire Goddess became Saint Brigid. This is a Celtic/Irish holiday. Imbolc is pronounced 'em-bolk.' Brigid's name was pronounced 'breed' in some parts of Ireland - her homeland.

ps, I'm a Wiccan.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast