Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Imbolc/Candlemass?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    Glad to hear that was the inspiration you were hoping for. And glad to hear you don't suffer from depression, at any season. There are those who have SAD in the summertime rather than the winter. I suspect for many of us though, depression is a genetic neurological condition related to ADHD and other genetic neurological conditions.

I never spent much time reading Genesis - looks like I missed some interesting stuff. That particular passage is very Paganish. Wicca is all about the balance between polarities - opposite ends of the same concept, all part of the big picture eh?
    Really? I was unaware people get SAD in summer also, though I suppose it makes sense, we are all so diverse. I'm lucky to have no depressive conditions. I believe some people are genetically more prone to it than others, but it is affected by numerous factors i.e. diet, family life, support, life events etc.

When I read your summary of Imbolc, that was the first passage that sprang to my mind! I'm really excited about marking Imbolc this year. Seeing what it means to people is inspiring. It saddens me that so much of the biblical spirituality is missed. I've got a theory that many people are put off by television type preachers, who seem to twist every verse to judge and condemn, people who are different from themselves. It makes me mad!!!! Think of all the people who spread the lie that wiccans are satan worshiping, evil doers. That is how I think of those condemnatory preachers in their representation of christians.

You're right! It is two sides of one coin. I think that is why I love summer AND winter. They are two sides of beauty in this world.
    "Picasso said :"Good taste is the enemy of great art." When I was depressed, people would tell me that God loves me. I would say "Big deal. God loves everybody. That doesn't make me special, that just prooves that God has no taste!" And you know, I really don't think He does. Thank God. For he makes a masterpiece of us." - Rich Mullins

When it comes to Summer, it effects those of us in regions where it gets almost unbearably hot.

I've discovered that thinking ahead to Imbolc, which leads into the Carnival season, wich leads us to St. Patrick's and the Equinox, then Easter, does improve my mood on the coldest days. It genuinely changes your outlook, subtly.

I'm doing a small ritual for Imbolc. And i'm going to make a (St.) Bride's cross. for the first time. i hope it works with my materials....
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

Happy Imbolc/Candlemas/Saint Brighid's Day everyone!

Hope your day is going well! I just finished baking a ham and spinach quiche for lunch, and I have cranberry orange scones in the oven. (I am turning into my mother with the cooking- holidays are all about cooking and food, and the kitchen in my family! So Imbolc really reasonates with me on a very deep level...) I said a blessing on the hearth when I put wood in the fireplace, as we heat with wood, using a blessing based on the one to Brighid written by Caitlin Matthews in the book Anam Cara by John O'Donuahue. If anyone wants a copy of the blessing, PM me, and I will type it out. I am also using the lessons from here when I say the Daily Office today.
    Happy Imbolc/Candlemas/Saint Brighid's Day everyone!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

Same to you HurbGirl!!
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

I've got a small ritual planned out using what materials I have available to me since it turned out that I didn't get my paycheck in time to go out for anything special. Lots of nudity, milk and spell-crafts planned for tonight though.

Random thought, how might you say that Imbolc is different for the more Christian paths than just simply Pagan/Wiccan ones?
    Last edited by Chicory_Witch; February 1st, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
    Blessed Be, in both Light and Darkness.

Feed Me!

Need an amazing pagan discussion podcast to listen to? Then look no further: http://imbleedingprofusely.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chicory_Witch View Post
    Random thought, how might you say that Imbolc is different for the more Christian paths than just simply Pagan/Wiccan ones?
    Well, I don't know about other Christian Witches here, but I divide my celebration up into a two day festival. February 1st is more dedicated to Saint Brighid, and February 2nd is more focused on the Feast of Candlemas or The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple. I described it more in the 1st post of this thread.
    HTH!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

*bump*
    What's everyone doing this year? I'm not sure yet, because I do not know my work schedule for next week, but it will probably be a variation of what I have done for the past few years, dividing my celebration into two days, one for the Feast of the Presentation and one for Saint Brighid, cooking lots of food, saying the Daily Office, blessing the hearth, and probably some works geared for new beginnings. I also have a Youtube playlist of music this year in addition to my playlist from last year. (I'll post a link to that as soon as I get it finalized.) Oh, and I will post recipes as soon as I get my menus ready!
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

I'm probably going to keep things low key again this year... Candles, prayers and maybe something special for supper for all of us, but I haven't decided what I should make just yet.

Hubby and I will probably spend the daytime hours rearranging furniture, he has Imbolc off from work this year.
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

i did a little ritual tonight, with candle and incense and poetry and singing.
    I will probably do another one on Feb. 3.
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast