Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Imbolc/Candlemass?

As promised, the Youtube playlist. It's a rough copy, and I will probably do some tinkering with it...
    My inspirations for this playlist came from my 2010 Imbolc playlist, this page, and this page.
    Last edited by HerbGurl; January 15th, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

This was the first year ever that I celebrated Candlemas with my family. We started the day by purchasing a new plant for our home. We remembered the day not only as the Presentation of Christ in the Temple, but the beginnings of Spring, and the days getting longer. We had a candlelite dinner with my whole family where we read the Gospel about Christ's Presentation in the Temple, and I chanted the Troparion for the day. We ate manicotti and had a cheese ball to incorporate some dairy dishes. My family and I loved the celebration!
    Cultivate inner peace and thousands around you will be saved.
    St. Seraphim of Sarov
    [SIGPIC]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a6raVa-peSs/R6t9BgTJazI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/oL13RgvM4zA/S240/200px-Serafim_and_a_bear%2Bsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMysticFool View Post
    This was the first year ever that I celebrated Candlemas with my family. We started the day by purchasing a new plant for our home. We remembered the day not only as the Presentation of Christ in the Temple, but the beginnings of Spring, and the days getting longer. We had a candlelite dinner with my whole family where we read the Gospel about Christ's Presentation in the Temple, and I chanted the Troparion for the day. We ate manicotti and had a cheese ball to incorporate some dairy dishes. My family and I loved the celebration!

That is so very wonderful.. I did nothing this year for Candlemas I was sick very sick! I am looking forward to getting much better because one I started to study the Orthodoxy church and plan on going to the different ones around here.

That is so very wonderful.. I did nothing this year for Candlemas I was sick very sick! I am looking forward to getting much better because one I started to study the Orthodoxy church and plan on going to the different ones around here.
    Yes it was very nice, everyone enjoyed themselves. If I may ask what part of the country do you reside? I may be able to suggest a parish. If you would prefer to say in PM that's fine. And if it's none of my business then that is fine too!
    Last edited by DarkMysticFool; February 11th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
    Cultivate inner peace and thousands around you will be saved.
    St. Seraphim of Sarov
    [SIGPIC]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a6raVa-peSs/R6t9BgTJazI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/oL13RgvM4zA/S240/200px-Serafim_and_a_bear%2Bsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

So, what is everyone doing this year? I'm doing my usual cooking and prayers. Also a lot of cleaning! Any ideas for a menu? I'm thinking of making cranberry orange scones, colcannon, and lemon or ginger madeleines. Maybe quiche, if I get my act together. Not sure on what to drink yet. Any ideas?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

I remember reading somewhere that Imbolc is often used as a time to make candles... and I always loved that idea. I never did get around to buying supplies, but it would be nice to make altar candles for the rest of the year. (Which would only be a few for me. That might be a ridiculous amount for other people.)

Tomorrow is Imbolc... I'm going to be doing my usual small ritual of prayers and lighting candles... While hoping that darn groundhog in Stewiack, NS does NOT see his bloody shadow!! LOL
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

A friend is coming over and we're going to make bread together from scratch (a portion will later be given to the earth as an offering). I'll have a candle burning in my cauldron to symbolize life inside the dark earth, sitting somewhere prominent. Once alone I will do a small, personal observance by myself.

I so want to get into candle making, but I don't want to start until we move (which will be in March).

I made a mistake in yesterday's post... It's the groundhog in SHUEBENACADIE, not Stewiack!!

And the cute little guy did NOT see his shadow... hehehehehe!!

I'm doing my little ritual tonight, after my son goes to bed.
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

Bumping this thread up, since it is getting to be that time of year! I am going to be saying prayers, and making this tasty colcannon macaroni and cheese. Perfect combination of comfort food, Irish food, and dairy!
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast