Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: time travel machine in the process

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Flint, MI aka Hell in a handbasket
    Age
    39
    Posts
    10,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    Not necessarily... the hypothesis involved with time travel are pretty knowledge intensive, making even the layman renditions virtually unapproachable with a solid basis in several fields of physics and mathematics. This is further compounded by the number of scifi tv shows, movies and novels out there that deal with time travel and get it woefully wrong. Take for example my favourite show, Doctor Who... a show based around the idea of time travel... but it gets it all horribly wrong.

    Interestingly enough, Futurama comes close when Fry becomes his own grandfather. The would be more than possible... as would assassinating your grandfather before your parent's were born, your future self would remain unaffected. Bit of a mind bending experience no?
    Not as mind-bending as you might think LOL I'm guessing you're hinting at the changes in the past lead to split timelines sort of thing (correct me if I'm wrong).

    And time would have to be self-correcting and/or self-preserving if time travel is possible, otherwise the various potential paradoxes (paradoxi?) would lead to a collapse of the universe. And since the universe has not collapsed, I'll safely assume that either A) time travel is NOT possible or B) time travel cannot affect one's own past in any way.
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

    ~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    33
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by aranarose View Post
    Not as mind-bending as you might think LOL I'm guessing you're hinting at the changes in the past lead to split timelines sort of thing (correct me if I'm wrong).

    And time would have to be self-correcting and/or self-preserving if time travel is possible, otherwise the various potential paradoxes (paradoxi?) would lead to a collapse of the universe. And since the universe has not collapsed, I'll safely assume that either A) time travel is NOT possible or B) time travel cannot affect one's own past in any way.
    This statement seems to assume there's only 1 possible timeline and going back in time does not inherently create a new timestream/timeline/alternate reality (or whatever sci-fi term you want to apply to it). Potentially near infinite timelines could mean going back in time in itself creates a new timeline where any future is possible, making traveling back to the exact timeframe you came from very difficult.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreyas View Post
    This statement seems to assume there's only 1 possible timeline and going back in time does not inherently create a new timestream/timeline/alternate reality (or whatever sci-fi term you want to apply to it). Potentially near infinite timelines could mean going back in time in itself creates a new timeline where any future is possible, making traveling back to the exact timeframe you came from very difficult.
    Thats a very interesting ponder. it made me think. If one were to go back in time or forward in time, it would be very easy to get lost in time. But what would that mean? O.k say you know someone who messes with time. They go into the past, what would happen to you? Would you cease to exist? Woud everything remain the same while an alternate demension is affected? Would you change in an instant? It's just so complicated and I don't think our human minds could ever figure it out without trying it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    33
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowingsun View Post
    Thats a very interesting ponder. it made me think. If one were to go back in time or forward in time, it would be very easy to get lost in time. But what would that mean? O.k say you know someone who messes with time. They go into the past, what would happen to you? Would you cease to exist? Woud everything remain the same while an alternate demension is affected? Would you change in an instant? It's just so complicated and I don't think our human minds could ever figure it out without trying it.
    I just think an alternate reality would be affected, with our reality being preserved. Now, crossing realities to get back - that's a whole new thing to consider.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •