Thread: Many questions.

Many questions.

I have some questions about the Dianic tradition. It seems like it’s pretty diverse, so I hope that these aren’t too hard to address…I’m just trying to get a better idea of it =)

I’ve gathered that this tradition is centered on women’s mysteries, goddess worship, and sometimes witchcraft, but what about the goddess Diana? Is she often revered as an individual goddess, or usually seen as just the archetype/symbol for this religion (or both)? Are most Dianics soft polytheistic (do they usually refer to different goddesses as just being “faces” of the Goddess, using them interchangeably?) or do a considerable amount follow closer to “hard” polytheism, or somewhere in the middle (seeing the goddesses as individuals with individual personalities)?

Is there any importance or emphasize placed on Roman/Italian goddesses, among a considerable amount of Dianics, or is that irrelevant? Do texts like Aradia, Gospel of the Witches play an importance? Any other texts that I should read?

Do Dianics generally see women and men as equal? Can Dianics still revere gods or the Goddess as well as the God? In my case, I recognize both forces as being equally important…but I feel more connected with the Goddess, and sometimes when I refer to Goddess I am talking about the God as well (the Goddess being collective of both). I usually honor and work with the Goddess much more. Can you still “work with” (not sure how to put that) male energies in some instances, such as in sex, and still be considered Dianic? Something like the Great Rite comes to mind…yes, I know this isn’t Wicca, but I’m still curious. What if you see “God” aspects in the Goddess/ess and vice versa? Is the “radical feminist” stereotype true, to an extent?

Would you consider Dianic witchcraft diverse enough to be used as an umbrella term? Are there any core beliefs and tenets besides just saying “women’s/Goddess oriented spirituality”? Are most Dianics in a working group or coven? Do you need to be a part of one to be considered Dianic? What if you don't agree with everything Z. Budapest has to say or other femenist authors who talk about the subject?

Well, that should due for now…I might think of some more though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance =)

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha View Post
    I have some questions about the Dianic tradition. It seems like it’s pretty diverse, so I hope that these aren’t too hard to address…I’m just trying to get a better idea of it =)

I’ve gathered that this tradition is centered on women’s mysteries, goddess worship, and sometimes witchcraft, but what about the goddess Diana? Is she often revered as an individual goddess, or usually seen as just the archetype/symbol for this religion (or both)? Are most Dianics soft polytheistic (do they usually refer to different goddesses as just being “faces” of the Goddess, using them interchangeably?) or do a considerable amount follow closer to “hard” polytheism, or somewhere in the middle (seeing the goddesses as individuals with individual personalities)?
    I'm not a Dianic (I'm a Sumerian recon, just to let you know), but, I'll try and answer your questions. I think the answer to that question will depend on the individual Dianic, as there are some, from what I know, who are "hard" polytheist (believing each Goddess to be individual, not just faces of some "Uber" Goddess), some who are "soft" polytheist (believing all Goddesses (and maybe Gods?) are one Goddess), some who are in the middle (RainInanna gave a really good example to me in one post, where she said her beliefs are somewhere in the middle, all Goddesses, and beings, are part of the Goddess, including humans, but, they are also individuals, at the same time, like us humans (if RainInanna sees this, maybe she can correct me if I'm getting her beliefs wrong?)), some who may see all Goddesses, Gods, etc as Archetypes, others will see them as something else, and others may be a combination of these and other beliefs. IMO, if I were you, I'd go with what feels right to me, whether you are a "hard" polytheist, "soft" polytheist, Archetypal polytheist, Atheist, whatever, etc.

Is there any importance or emphasize placed on Roman/Italian goddesses, among a considerable amount of Dianics, or is that irrelevant? Do texts like Aradia, Gospel of the Witches play an importance? Any other texts that I should read?
    I don't know about Sacred Texts for Dianics, maybe you could read Aradia, although read whatever inspires you, IMO, whatever makes you think, and feel, The Goddess. As for which Goddesses, and Gods, play a part, again, I think that depends on the individual Dianic, so, if you're drawn to a certain Goddess, or God, try and develop a relationship with them.

Do Dianics generally see women and men as equal? Can Dianics still revere gods or the Goddess as well as the God? In my case, I recognize both forces as being equally important…but I feel more connected with the Goddess, and sometimes when I refer to Goddess I am talking about the God as well (the Goddess being collective of both). I usually honor and work with the Goddess much more. Can you still “work with” (not sure how to put that) male energies in some instances, such as in sex, and still be considered Dianic? Something like the Great Rite comes to mind…yes, I know this isn’t Wicca, but I’m still curious. What if you see “God” aspects in the Goddess/ess and vice versa? Is the “radical feminist” stereotype true, to an extent?
    I think most Dianics see men and women as equal, I'm sure there are some fundamentalist Dianics who, probably, see men as "evil", but, you get those kinds of people, whatever the religion, tradition, etc. Also, I think some Dianics do honour a God, or The God, too. If you want too, do it. Maybe other Dianics can help more.

Would you consider Dianic witchcraft diverse enough to be used as an umbrella term? Are there any core beliefs and tenets besides just saying “women’s/Goddess oriented spirituality”? Are most Dianics in a working group or coven? Do you need to be a part of one to be considered Dianic? What if you don't agree with everything Z. Budapest has to say or other femenist authors who talk about the subject?
    I'd say it's an umbrella term, as different Dianics will have different beliefs, worship differently, worship different Goddesses, and Gods, etc. Also, I don't think it's a tenet that you have to love Z. Budapest, Starhawk, or whoever, etc.

Well, that should due for now…I might think of some more though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance =)
    Hope this helps, and I'm sure other Dianics can help you too. Also, to MW .

is offline She who dances to the pulse of the Earth
    Hello Akasha

It is a very diverse path. As you said it is "centered on women’s mysteries, goddess worship, and sometimes witchcraft" and then from there it pretty much just forks out to encompass many different paths and women that can all be very similiar or very unique.

I have met Dianics who were so similiar to my own views and then others who were almost complete opposites lol. The one thing that we all share is the focus on the Goddess.

For the most part Diana is seen as an archetype/symbol for the path but at the same time many of us do honor/worship Diana as well.

I would say the majority of Dianics I have known and spoken with lean more towards soft polytheistic. Many of us, myself included believe in a genderless Divine and we choose to view the many Goddesses as aspects/Archetypes. There are those who view each Goddess as individual deities as well and everything in between. There is no hard core rule it is really open to each of us to decide that. I would even say there is an emphasis on finding the view of the Divine which relates to you the best.

There is no specific text I would say. Though depending on your own path there are some amazing books out there that have helped define women's spirituality that can IMO greatly expand and make you think about your path Gospel of the Witches is lovely but it does not play a significant role in the Dianic path though it might for some people in their individual practice. It isn't like required reading lol.

Generally yes you will find that most see women and men equal. You will find some that tend to not feel that way and even some nuts or real negative people as you will in all religions and paths. But the majority of Dianics by far are not men haters or anything of the like.

We do not hate men, infact many of us love men alot! I am married to one. We have fathers, husbands, boyfriends, brothers, sons etc... We see them as part of the Goddess just as much as we are. The same Divine energy flows through everything and everyone equally.

Our path is not about denying the masculine at all. That would be like trying to deny gravity. It is right there in front of us, so trying to deny it would be futile. It is not about ignoring anything but instead embracing ourselves and the feminine energy within us. I am a female, I honor myself, rejoice in myself and therefore the Goddess and the feminine. I feel this path, unlike some others, is much more about finding the divine within us. Instead of looking around to someone or something else for answers it is turning the focus within. And within me happens to be a full blown woman.

As for working with men eh it can differ greatly. Many feel in circles and such it should be all women, though I have met many women who believe that yet also feel they can do personal practice/rituals at home with their partners as well. So it is really what you feel comfortable with.

Also I would say the majority of Dianics only honor the Goddess. But there are those who do acknowledge or even honor gods as well. There are some paths who acknowledge both but focus mainly on the Goddess. Personally I don't think you gotta stop believing in masculine deities ofcourse though the focus would need to be on the feminine to be Dianic. My path is all Goddess though.

but I’m still curious. What if you see “God” aspects in the Goddess/ess and vice versa?
    For those of us who only honor the Goddess, we do not acknowledge he normal split of God aspects and Goddess aspects of Wicca- Goddess: moon, God: sun etc... All is of the Goddess. She is the moon and the sun and everything in between. I am not really sure for those who do also honor gods.

Oh yes I feel it has certainly become an umbrella term for women's spirituality. As I said above there are different sub-paths within that do have core beliefs and their own dogma but as a whole no we are pretty open I would say and like it that way lol. In all the groups i am in there are always a huge eclectic group of women present. Some even define themselfs by many different paths and some just eclectic lol. There are women both in circles and solitary, it doesn't matter which.

It would be insane to think anyone would agree 100% with anyone else We are all very unique people with our own views and thoughts.

Here are some neat websites:

http://shekhinah.net/
    http://www.blueroebuck.com/
    http://www.rcgi.org/

The Dianic Wiccan Tradition
    http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.htm...=trads&id=8451
    (great article for the history)
    http://www.templeofdiana.org/home.htm
    http://www.templeofdiana.org/dwt.htm

Listen to my sound. I am the wind, which echos through the trees. The gentle breeze which tickles your flesh. Touch that which you walk upon. I am the green fields filled with fresh flowers. My breast the mountain peaks which reach toward the heavens. My curves the endless canyons. The waters that run through my womb, nourish the sacred river of life. I am the song within the storm. The whisper on the edge of the forest. The silence. The rush of raging waterfalls. Open your eyes my child, for I am everywhere. I have never left you and never will.

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha View Post
    I’ve gathered that this tradition is centered on women’s mysteries, goddess worship, and sometimes witchcraft, but what about the goddess Diana? Is she often revered as an individual goddess, or usually seen as just the archetype/symbol for this religion (or both)?
    This shows one of the reasons:

McFarland took the name “Dianic” from a reference to an ancient European nature-religion called the Dianic Cult mentioned in Magaret Alice Murray’s book The Witch Cult in Western Europe
    From http://www.thissideofsanity.com/dianic/dianic.html

Other reasons I've heard are that Diana is seen as an archetype of female empowerment, independence, etc.. Some Dianics do worship her but there are others who view her as an archetype.

Are most Dianics soft polytheistic (do they usually refer to different goddesses as just being “faces” of the Goddess, using them interchangeably?) or do a considerable amount follow closer to “hard” polytheism, or somewhere in the middle (seeing the goddesses as individuals with individual personalities)?
    Depends on the individual. The Dianic community is very diverse in regards to how a person sees their Goddess.

No, there is any importance or emphasis on Roman/Italian Goddesses. It's very diverse area. Texts like Aradia can play an importance but it depends upon the individual. At the top of this forum is a list of books and websites that have been recommended.

Do Dianics generally see women and men as equal?
    Most do. A minority don't but they should not be seen as representing the Dianic path at all.

Can Dianics still revere gods or the Goddess as well as the God?
    Yep.

Can you still “work with” (not sure how to put that) male energies in some instances, such as in sex, and still be considered Dianic?
    Yep.

What if you see “God” aspects in the Goddess/ess and vice versa?
    That's absolutely fine.

Is the “radical feminist” stereotype true, to an extent?
    There is a small minority like that but, in my experience, they usually don't last.

Would you consider Dianic witchcraft diverse enough to be used as an umbrella term?
    Yes.

Are there any core beliefs and tenets besides just saying “women’s/Goddess oriented spirituality”?
    Most Goddess orientated spirituality focuses mainly upon the Goddess, whilst also acknowledging the God. Many do the sabbats and esbats, and I've found that the moon is important as well. It's really hard for me to give core beliefs/tenets when Dianicism/Goddess worship/Goddess spirituality is very diverse.

Are most Dianics in a working group or coven?
    From my experience, no. Because Dianic groups and covens can be hard to find, a lot of the participants of the path are solitary.

Do you need to be a part of one to be considered Dianic?
    From my experience, no.

What if you don't agree with everything Z. Budapest has to say or other femenist authors who talk about the subject?
    That's fine. I don't agree with everything Z. Budapest, Shekinah Mountainwater, etc. state and that's absolutely fine. In fact, I'm not really a fan of Z. Budapest because I don't like some of her views.

At the top of this forum, in the sticky area, there are a list of resources that have been recommended by people here.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Thumbs up :)

Thanks guys, that pretty much answers my questions. And yeah, I had read the other threads already, but was just unclear of some things. Hope these weren't silly things to ask. Just trying to get a better understanding is all.

Thanks, again. =D