Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Herbal Books

Recomended Herbal Books - magical and non-magical

I thought I'd start a list of herbal recomendations here. If you list a book, please give an explanation why you would recomend it.

If you want to discuss the pros and cons of the recomendations, please start a new thread.
    Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

John Lust's The Herb Book

John Lust's The Herb Book was one of the very first herb book I'd ever bought. Though, it was written waaay back in 1979, I find the info still quite current. It would be one book I would take with me on a deserted island.

I should add that it's not a magical herbal but it does contain some bits of folklore in the back section.
    Last edited by Wildchild; March 12th, 2002 at 06:16 PM.

Cunningham, Scott. The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews. 1989, Llewellyn.

Herbal correspondences and hundreds of pages of practical applications, recipes, and notes. Very magical.

Every Woman's Guide To Natural Home Remedies by Sally Freeman. This is a wonderful book filled with lots of information on folk and herbal remedies from breastfeeding to Sunburn! Not a magical book but very usefull!
    Support Our Troops!!

Laiste

Cunninghams Encyclopedia of magical herbs. I love this one.

Also Culpepper's Complete Herbal and English Physician by Nicholas Culpepper. Written in 1826, and not to be used as a sole source of info. Still a wonderful historical herbal.

The Healing Power of Herbs, Michael T Murray, ND Excellent book on medicinal herbs, with info on chemical composition, history and folk use, pharmacology, clinical applications, dosages and toxicity.

Medicinal plants of the Mountain West, Michael Moore. Good drawings with info on habitat and harvesting.

The New Holistic Herbal by David Hoffman another great medicinal herbal.

Not sure how many of those are still in print.

Maude Grieve's Modern Herbal. Not really modern anymore but still very relevant! The actual book is in two volumes & the amount of info there is astounding!

Here is a link of the online version of it but if you can get the hardcopy, I would recomend it!

http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html
    Last edited by Wildchild; March 19th, 2002 at 02:10 AM.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!

Paul Beyerl

'The Master Book of Herbalism' is my favorite. he gives medicinal AND magickal uses for many many herbs, separating them into sections for easy access.
    guides on preparation, tables with 'traditional' names, and really wonderful correspondences round this out into 'the one book' for me.
    Cunningham, and especially Grieve and Culpepper are neccessary to any herbal library as well. and Maya Heath's 'Handbook of Incense, Oils and Candles' is pretty good too, if only for the correspondences.
    'A Handbook of Native American Herbs' by Alma R. Hutchens is a fine resource, but only if you live in North America.
    and one last recommendation is 'The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants' by Andrew Chevallier. beautiful color plates, and a wonderful text regarding diagnosis, preparation and dosages for many different problems. i got stuck with this when i forgot to send back the little book club card, but as soon as i opened it i new it was worth the $30.00. definitely try to find a used copy of this one.

and just for fun i'd like to list 'The Language of Flowers', edited by
    Sheila Pickles, and Lesley Gordon's 'The Mystery and Magic of Trees and Flowers'. both of these are books of prose and verse, but very informative and a delight to read.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

I LOVE Culpeppers Color Herbal!

I also use Lesley Bremness' "The Complete Book of Herbs" Practical guide to growing and using Herbs. It has lovely, large color photo's of most of the herbs, lists how to grow them, when to grow them, where to grow them, where they can be found in the wild, and also, their "uses" both in crafts and decorating, food, and medicinal. It has some diagrams for Gardens, and Recipe's, and even craft ideas.

And I also love the Petersons Field Guide for Medicinal Plants and Herbs (by region).
    Lucas Michael, you are with me still. Not a day will go by that I won't remember. Lucas Michael Demascena con. 5/15, dec. 6/29. Wait for me.

Forum Guide- History Forum

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    the Peterson Guides are great!
    we keep the plant guide and the bird guide in our car, cause you just never know...
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Yep We have the Medicinal Plants and Herbs, Guide to Tree's, Birds, and...heheheh, Mushrooms
    Lucas Michael, you are with me still. Not a day will go by that I won't remember. Lucas Michael Demascena con. 5/15, dec. 6/29. Wait for me.

Forum Guide- History Forum

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast