Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Herbal Books

my favorite. and i recommend it to everybody that will listen is
    Discovering wild plants of alaska, british columbia, and the pacific northwest. by Janice Schofield. the best book! has medicinal uses traditional, cosmetic,historical as well as magical uses by the northwest coast natives. form bella colla to inuit.
    i can't say enough about it
    blessings seawitch

Thumbs up The Book I would Suggest is..

"Herbally Yours" by Penny C. Royal.
    The reason is she is complete enough for a scholar Herbalist, but easy enough to read for a student. She mixes some great formulas together and gives you several options for he same ailment. I highly recommend this book for anyone who practices herbal remedies.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with the shadow on the wall.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

"The solution to Iraq -- an Iraq that can govern itself, sustain itself and defend itself -- is more than a military mission. Precisely the reason why I sent more troops into Baghdad."
    ~George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 3, 2007~

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004~

Thumbs up

The best herbal book I have ever read is The Complete Book of Herbs By Lesley Bremness. She has pictures of all the herbs,she tells you what part of the plant,flower, or tree to use. She tells you how to make teas,oils,soaps,and a lot of other things. Also goes into detail on how to plant,grow,and harvest them. It's a must read.....
    http://firebird63.bravepages.com/herbalremedies.html
    Last edited by FireBird; July 22nd, 2002 at 09:43 AM.

Thumbs up A coouple more to the list

All the books mentioned are wonderful, maybe someone will also find the following useful.

The herbal companion- by Markus Webb - peoples medical society: Good book with color photos, medicinal as well as cosmetic and culinary uses of herbs. Small and not quite as large as others but a nice little book.

A druids herbal for the sacred year - by Ellen Evert Hopman- Great book that covers the celtic year and the sacred herbs and there uses in ritual etc... one of my favorite books.

Tree Medicine, Tree Magic - by Ellen Evert Hopman - This book deal with treas that are common in North America (19 trees) and there uses . Very Interesting subject and the newest that we have.

Also a good magazine on the market is the Herbal Companion, give it a look. recipies, uses and the most recent issue has an wonderful article on Lavender as well as one on Culpeper.

And who could forget the Herbal Almanacs put out by Llweleyn Publishing- Great books with tons of interesting info. (By the way I am looking for back issues of this almanac

In Peace,
    Gwydion
    Nature is willing to teach, are you willing to listen?

I love & use regularly "Family Herbal" by Rosemary Gladstar. I like the way it is broken up into different sections...Children, Women, Men, Elders, Beauty Recipes, and so forth.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
    Begin it now.
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

One interesting book on herbalism I have (which I suspect is long out of print) is "Herbs & Things: Jeanne Rose's Herbal" (ISBN 0-399-50944-5). I'm not a herbalist, though, so I can't vouch for whether the book is actually any good or not. It does have all sorts of mundane and magickal stuff about herbs, with recipes and entertaining anecdotes.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Just got this one and I'm loving it already:
    New Herb Bible, by Caroline Foley, Jill Nice, and Marcus Webb.

It's got info and tips on gardening, an herb directory, and cosmetic, medicinal, and culinary sections. Very extensive, lots of recipies, nice pictures too:D Also includes herb-drug interactions.
    REALLY GOOD!!!
    "Il faut cultiver notre jardin."
    ~Candide, by Voltaire
    http://www.enchanted-art.com/

Recommended Herbal Books

Well Greenman.....you made mention of two sources I find indespensible.....The Peterson Field Guide series and Alma Hutchens' "Indian Herbology of North America". I strongly endorse your recommendations. Also would like to mention "The Way of Herbs"by Michael Tierra. It is a very descriptive book of herbal medications and concoctions.

oops

Sorry...I hit the wrong button.Well thats a neophyte for ya!

All fixed now. :D
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast