Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Herbal Books

is offline is trying to think of something clever.
    In addition to the books in my previous post, I'd like to add:

Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers (expanded edition) by Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, and Christian Ratsch... Gorgeous photographs and tons of good info, both anthropological and chemical.

PharmakoGnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path by Dale Pendell... On entheogens and other lovely things.

The Family Herbal and Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar...

The Illustrated Book of Herbs, Their Medicinal and Culinary Uses by Jiri Stodola and Jan Volak (can't remember translator's name)... This book has info on some plants that I haven't seen anywhere else, and the illustrations are beautiful.

Herbal Plants: Their History and Uses by Mark Evans... Very much pro-herbalism, and I learnt a lot about medical theory and NIMH that I didn't know before.

And for a more magical approach:

Herbs in Magic and Alchemy: Techniques from Ancient Herbal Lore by C. L. Zalewski... Not as comprehensive as Cunningham or Beyerl, but I much prefer it. Comes from a more ceremonial perspective (author is in the Golden Dawn?) and is clear and concise.

The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs by Richard Alan Miller... I've heard his chemistry's good, but I haven't tried any of the formulas.

Cheers,

Semjaza
    FFFF
    "Being Nietzschean requires one to think apart from him, starting from the spot where the "work in progress" that is philosophy was transformed by his passage. He called for unfaithful disciples who, by their betrayal, would prove their loyalty. He wanted people to obey him by following themselves and no one else, not even him. Particularly not him."
    -- Michel Onfray, In Defense of Atheism

Quote Originally Posted by davedgreat2000 View Post

Non-Magical Books:

2. The Herbal Medicine-Makers Handbook A Home Manual, by James Green, The Crossing Press
    -This book talks about everything you need to know on herbs and how to grow them and how to use them for medicial purposes
    -Talks about oils, lotions and the like.

Dave

I'm reading this book now and I'm loving it! It's my first study on herbalism and I find James Green's approach to herbalism really lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgewytch View Post
    I have found that Paul Huson's book Mastering Herbalism was a good addition to my herbal library, I liked that he wrote about many different areas where herbs would and could be used from basic culinary uses to more esoteric witchcraft uses and even he gave recipes for such things as herbal perfumes and incense.

He also offered up skin care and other *beauty* tips and even tips on growing your own herbs and gave a list of suggested retailers to purchase from if that proved to be to difficult a task. All in all it was a very well rounded book and I use it for many different purposes.

Hart & Horn,

-Dawn
    Ditto on Mastering Herbalism, it is one of my favorite herbals that I refer to time and time again.
    ‘We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound. Our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color. We live on the wind, and in the sparkle of a star.’
    Endora

""And pleasant is the fairy land,
    But, an eerie tale to tell, At the end of every seven years, We pay a tithe to Hell,
    I am so fair and full of flesh,
    I feared it be myself." "
    The Ballad of Tam Lin

"Granny Weatherwax was often angry. She considered in one of her strong points. Genuine anger was one of the world greatest creative forces. But you had to learn how to control it. That didn't mean you let it trickle away. it meant you damned it, carefully, let it develop a working head, let it drown whole valleys of the mind and then, just when the whole structure was about to collapse, opened a tiny pipeline at the base and let the iron-hard stream of wrath power the turbines of revenge."
    Terry Pratchet

The Herbal Almanac, published by Llewellyn every year is always informative. The Witches Alamance also has a lot of information and herbal folklore, though not every issue has a lot of herbal info. They're both helpful, informative, and timely.

I love "Let's get natural with herbs" by debra rayburn. It has an extensive list of herbs and thier uses medicinally. It tells you how to make everything from teas to tinctures.
    *Amethyste Rayne *

Please feed my valenths?!
    (just click on them.)

"Love is the irresistable desire to be irresistably desired" - Robert Frost

I have been by:
    Wolfscout1 and Astara Seague

Quote Originally Posted by Semjaza View Post
    My all time favourite herb book is "Witchcraft Medicine: Healing Arts, Shamanic Practices, and Forbidden Plants," by Claudia Muller-Ebeling, Christian Ratsch, and Wolf-Dieter Storl, translated from German by Anna Lee. It's loaded with info on the European tradition, tons of folklore, history, and information that is useful if you know what you're doing. It takes a few digs at Wiccans' modern flying ointments that are made of "safe" herbs and the like, and doesn't provide recipes, correspondences, or spells (thank the gods). What it does do is much, much better. I love the historical research, the info on the hedgerow, the dead, witches' salves, the gardens of Hecate, Medea, and Circe, and the drug legislation rant at the end. The only part less than thrilling was the section on witches in art, contrasted with Mary, but even that wasn't too bad. This book would probably be more useful to a hedge witch or someone on a "shamanic" path than someone just looking for a list of Wiccan-style correspondence tables.

Other good reads are Dale Pendell's "Pharmako/Poeia: Plant Powers, Poisons, and Herbcraft" and "Pharmako Dynamis: Stimulating Plants, Potions, and Herbcraft." They are odd, poetic, rambling and utterly wonderful, though definately not for everyone.

Also of note: "Botany in a Day" by Thomas J. Elpel, "Weeds Heal: A Working Herbal" by Isla Burgess, and David Hoffman's "Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal," if you bear in mind that it isn't complete, that the dosages all are the same, that the latin names are out of date, and that he recommends mixing herbs in petroleum jelly (gross).

~Semjaza~
    FFFF
    Quote Originally Posted by Semjaza View Post
    In addition to the books in my previous post, I'd like to add:

Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers (expanded edition) by Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, and Christian Ratsch... Gorgeous photographs and tons of good info, both anthropological and chemical.

PharmakoGnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path by Dale Pendell... On entheogens and other lovely things.

The Family Herbal and Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar...

The Illustrated Book of Herbs, Their Medicinal and Culinary Uses by Jiri Stodola and Jan Volak (can't remember translator's name)... This book has info on some plants that I haven't seen anywhere else, and the illustrations are beautiful.

Herbal Plants: Their History and Uses by Mark Evans... Very much pro-herbalism, and I learnt a lot about medical theory and NIMH that I didn't know before.

And for a more magical approach:

Herbs in Magic and Alchemy: Techniques from Ancient Herbal Lore by C. L. Zalewski... Not as comprehensive as Cunningham or Beyerl, but I much prefer it. Comes from a more ceremonial perspective (author is in the Golden Dawn?) and is clear and concise.

The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs by Richard Alan Miller... I've heard his chemistry's good, but I haven't tried any of the formulas.

Cheers,

Semjaza
    FFFF
    Semjaza, thankyou so much for those recommendations, I've got 'The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs' by Richard Alan Miller, although I haven't started to read it yet. Herbology is something I definitely am very interested in learning more about, especially its magical uses and implications (as well as other uses too, though, such as medical, food/taste/cooking, etc).

I honestly can't contribute to this great thread, 'cause I haven't read that much on herbology yet, although there are 2 books I've heard are great, and quite cool, they're:

'Mastering Herbalism: A Practical Guide' by Paul Huson

'Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure' by Catherine Yronwode, Catherine is the owner of Lucky Mojo, a great, IMO, site on Hoodoo.

Again, I don't know if those books are any good, if anyone's read, or has, them, are they?. They're on my wish list anyway (I'm, hopefully, going to be able to get a lot of the books I want to get this year, not all at once, but, definitely a lot of them over the course of the year, which won't make much of a dent in my now, huge, book list, but, it'll be a start!).

I'm looking at getting one of these two books:

Either

Compendium of Herbal Magick by Paul V. Beyerl

or

The Master Book of Herbalism by Paul V. Beyerl

I'm looking for one that primarily focuses on the magickal uses of herbs, rather than medicinal (I have many on medicinal..only one on magickal, which is a nice reference, but I would like more than one). Also one that covers many herbs.

Which would you guys suggest I get this month? The first or second? I'm thinking first but I'm havng a hard time deciding. I suck at making decions..lol

The sun is far away... It goes in circles.
    Someone dies.. Someone lives. In pain.
    It is burning, into the thin air;
    Of the nature, of a culture..
    On the dark side..
    Under the moon..
    the wolves gather..

i suggest allowing the formation of God, to walk into your path and give you the book you need. or perhaps listening to your inner self, as you walk into the woods, and split your attention to your surroundings, the moment then aligns to your creative attention, providing you the plants you need, and the knowledge formation of the plants you seek. the truth here is that the plants are formed for you, as they are for me, and i cannot say which one to use, or what it does (tho i can and it would work from my energy alone for you), but rather it is the plant giving to you, and how you see it that oprovides the results. the entire kingdom of knowledge is like this, it aligns to your judgements or you lack of them, what you need, desire, search for. As for the book itself, then that is a perfect book catered to the needs of thereader at the moment of reading it. aligning to your needs, and your creative values. the nature of herbalism and time formation, entains the weaver weaves the plant themselves, from the choices that align to the fabric of 'any and all forms'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Raven View Post
    I'm looking at getting one of these two books:

Either

Compendium of Herbal Magick by Paul V. Beyerl

or

The Master Book of Herbalism by Paul V. Beyerl

I'm looking for one that primarily focuses on the magickal uses of herbs, rather than medicinal (I have many on medicinal..only one on magickal, which is a nice reference, but I would like more than one). Also one that covers many herbs.

Which would you guys suggest I get this month? The first or second? I'm thinking first but I'm havng a hard time deciding. I suck at making decions..lol

Last years my grandmother uses John Lust's The Herb Book and satisfied with it.
    I am admire of avatar

The way of herbs - by Michael Tierra. Great book which I find to be reliable.

"We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless. We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers. We won't solve all mysteries and our hearts will certainly break in such a vulnerable life, but it is the best way. We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home." ~
    TWLOHA

Facebook

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast